Thread: Looking for some opinions on best army/navy composition

Default Looking for some opinions on best army/navy composition

So I am most used to shogun and shogun 2, but I decided to pick up Napoleon last weekend during the sale.

There are a few things I would like opinions on in regards to the navy and the army. For the following questions, do not worry about expenses.

Assume I like to always have 20 unit armies. What do you think is the best composition for artillery? I so far have only played as Britain. Is 2/5ths of an army as artillery, 1/5th as dragoons and the rest footmen good? What artillery should I use? Are experimental howitzers better than 5 inch howitzers? I so far haven't found a difference. Should I have like half howitzers and half cannon? Should I ever have foot cannon, when the horse cannon can move so quickly? Is a 9 pound cannon that much better than a 6? Are rockets any useful? Is there a different combination I should assume playing as France, (P)Russia or Austria?

When it comes to navies, should I have my generals in over-heavy 1st rates or should I have them in iron clads? I am concerned about the risk of a boiler explosion compared to the extra hardness gained by iron, does that happen enough to keep the generals an over-heavy first rate?

When it comes to making your initial navies, what do you think about composition. Is buying 4th, 5th and 6th rate ships ever worth it? Which 3rd rate should I concentrate on, 74? 80? 64? What's the difference really? Is a 2nd rate worth it ever compared to 3rd rates or should I just buy 1st rates? What specialty ships should I bother with? Are sloops and brigs worth it for larger actions?

When it comes to later-stage navies, should I go all steam? Just steam and 1st rates? This is when I usually have more money than I know what to do with. All over-heavy first rates and iron clads? Should I bother with rocket-ships and all the specialty ships?

So far I am having a lot of fun with the naval warfare compared to Shogun 2. But does the AI ever build like heavier ships? I want to have a battle that's 20 ships or more a side with mostly heavy ships.

I don't mind links to threads, but I've read about 20 guides so far and they haven't much answered my questions.

Default Re: Looking for some opinions on best army/navy composition

Quote Originally Posted by Profound View Post
    Assume I like to always have 20 unit armies. What do you think is the best composition for artillery? I so far have only played as Britain. Is 2/5ths of an army as artillery, 1/5th as dragoons and the rest footmen good?
    I normally take only 4 artillery pieces max for a balanced army, a long range cannon (12lb), a shorter range (6), one or two howitzers and/or horse artillery.

Is a 9 pound cannon that much better than a 6? Are rockets any useful? Is there a different combination I should assume playing as France, (P)Russia or Austria?
    better range. I've never found rockets to be of any use at all. France has the great artillerie a pied which the other nations don't have. If you are Russia, consider spamming unicorns. Austria, Prussia, and GB nothing special, they are more about infantry and cav.

When it comes to making your initial navies, what do you think about composition. Is buying 4th, 5th and 6th rate ships ever worth it? Which 3rd rate should I concentrate on, 74? 80? 64? What's the difference really? Is a 2nd rate worth it ever compared to 3rd rates or should I just buy 1st rates? What specialty ships should I bother with? Are sloops and brigs worth it for larger actions?
    I'm not sure about the difference between the 3 3rd rates, you might find that the ones with fewer guns have better handling, and possibly MUCH better handling. Once I can build big ships I never bother with sloops and brigs, they're just too squishy. Early game, one 6th rate used properly can dominate other ships.

When it comes to later-stage navies, should I go all steam? Just steam and 1st rates? This is when I usually have more money than I know what to do with. All over-heavy first rates and iron clads? Should I bother with rocket-ships and all the specialty ships?
    I really like the bomb ketches and think they have a place in a navy depending on your tactics. They almost encourage camping... I've never used steamships, but I think they lose versus heavy first rates. Don't put them in a line formation with sail ships.

For naval its best just to spam 3rd rates and up. Steam ships are good for novelty, same with the special ships. But your workforce will always be 3rd rates.

As far as army goes my balanced army usually consists of:

5 Skirmishers
    5 Lines
    4 cav and gen
    5 art.

Of course you can mix things up to cater more to the strength of your army.

Heres what i do for my armies has Great Britain:
    ONE General's Bodyguard
    TWO Cavalry (any type)(I usually use Guard Dragoons)
    TWO 6Iber horse artillery Batteries
    ONE howitzer Unit
    TWO Skirmisher/Sharpshooter units (Usually greenkajackets)
    ONE ELITE infantry unit
    Rest of the army line Infantry

FOR my navies:
    ONE Admiral's flagship, Usually a heavy first rate, or as high as you can go in cannon amounts
    TWO 2nd rate ships of the line (80-90 Guns)
    Rest of the fleet is 3rd rate ships of the line (74 Gun ships are my favorite)

I do not believe any of the above answers are wrong, however I tend toward using one general and at least 4 cavalry (2 heavy for breaking wavering units and 2 light for chasing down fleeing units and/or supplementing the heavy in reinforcing units that needs assistance.) 4 skirmishers (light infantry) for range and placed either in hiding when attacking or directly behind my Line infantry to back them up and give them first devastating vollies against advancing units or able to deploy to the flanks if needed, 6 line infantry (4 behind the guns ready to charge in if artillery is attacked and 2 in squares on the flanks) 5 cannons or howitzers depending on the terrain in which they are located (obviously howitzers in hilly regions like the Alps) I find that once you have upgraded your ordinance building and can see what's available, I definitely lean toward six pounder horse artillery with two chevrons from the outset (Ordinance Board) I feel it is the best choice with both deadly accuracy (69 accuracy) and mobility as opposed to only one chevron 9 pounders (57 accuracy) or 12 pounders). The worst damage is NOT done from afar with these guns...it is when the enemy is closing and canister shot is used to deadly effect.) Therefore I am of the same school as Napoleon in using multiple cannon units and I tend toward 5 units of six pounder horse artillery. They can if defended properly from charging cavalry units deliver a withering fire on advancing units and most often decide the battle then and there with the combined fire of line infantry directly behind them and light infantry behind the line. This combination has almost always won the battle unless greatly outnumbered with enemy units. Once the advancing units close to melee range send your line in with a bayonet charge and if that doesn't break the enemy the reinforcing cavalry from each of the flanks with rear attacks on the engaged units certainly will and they are then in a position to completely annihilate any fleeing troops to reduce the remainder left over post battle. Good luck!

Well, since most people have given you a good idea of campaign armies i will tell you some multiplayer armies :

In multiplayer the " Standard " rules are No artillery, maximum 5 light infantry/skirmishers. For these rules i would suggest: 1 general staff, 4 cavalry ( all lancers is the best and easiest ), 4-5 line infantry, 2-3 elite infantry and 5 light infantry ( Light infantry are typically better than skirmisher ). So that should be a good army and now you just form a battle line with your guards in reserve and you are good to go.

The other normal rule is: 2 artillery, No fixed ( No rockets/mortars ) and no Unicorns ( Russian howitser type ). A standard army for this would be: 1 generals staff, 2-4 cav ( your choice, if you want to be more defensive use less cav ) about 4-6 line, 1-3 elite, 5 light infantry and 2 regular howitsers ( Experimental howitsers are a waste of money IMO ) you can bring different types of arty if you know a specific place on the map where it is really good to have direct fire artillery.

Hope you found this to be helpful
    Proud member of the great TkD Clan and resident of the Kingdom of Sweden

Steam name: nfselephants/ Archduke Sven

For a regular army, I take a general, 2 units of light cav, 1 unit of some other cav unit, 3 units of 12 lb artillery or howitzers. I prefer having 3 units of howitzers over any other artillery pice because while it doesn't have a good range, it's explosive she'll is devistateing on any unit in range. I also have 2-3 units of skirmishers. The rest is infantry unless I have any elite units.

Laetus

I'm really into Napoleon, so I can help you.

You will always have rule. But a good army composition is 2 art, around 4 cav, 9 infantry units, 5 light infantry and a good general, and eventually militia in case you use it as a meat shield.

For naval, I only play 1 ship online. And that is mostly the British 106'er.

I shall give you some army builds that you might try out.

Prussian :
    1)4 foot guards - 4 musketeers - 5 prussian fusiliers - 2 lancers and Towarczys (or just 3 lancers) and general (Blucher)

2) 5 lights - 5 musketeers - 5 lancers and towarczys (or 6 lancers) - 8th life regiment - 1 foot guard

Britain :

1) Major General Picton - 2 king german light hussars - 1 dragoon - 4 foot - 2 king german legions - 5 lights - Connaught Rangers - 2 foot guards

2) Duke of Wellington - 3 dragoon guards - 5 lights - 5 line - Connaught Rangers - 42nd Black Watch - Foot guard.

Ottoman Empire :
    1) 6star general - 5 lights - 5 line - 4 mounted cav - 1 salithar guard and 4 janiasssaries (each with 2 chevrons

NOTICE : These army's are for multiplayer with rules No art max 5 lights. If you want some other good builds, please contact me.

Grinch

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post

I shall give you some army builds that you might try out.

Prussian :
    1)4 foot guards - 4 musketeers - 5 prussian fusiliers - 2 lancers and Towarczys (or just 3 lancers) and general (Blucher)

2) 5 lights - 5 musketeers - 5 lancers and towarczys (or 6 lancers) - 8th life regiment - 1 foot guard

Britain :

1) Major General Picton - 2 king german light hussars - 1 dragoon - 4 foot - 2 king german legions - 5 lights - Connaught Rangers - 2 foot guards

2) Duke of Wellington - 3 dragoon guards - 5 lights - 5 line - Connaught Rangers - 42nd Black Watch - Foot guard.

Ottoman Empire :
    1) 6star general - 5 lights - 5 line - 4 mounted cav - 1 salithar guard and 4 janiasssaries (each with 2 chevrons

Grinch
    Well i am going to be a bit critica labout these armies:First off, all british cav with the exception of KGL is pointless since none of them have shock resistance and typically even just a lancer charge will instantly rout light dragoons and dragoons.

Dragoon guards are also useless in most multiplayer situations.

Duke of Wellington isn't needed for the british army since they already have good morale and disciplined infantry. ( Only faction i would recommend 1200 point general for is Austria or if you are doing a militia spam )

You don't need 2 chevrons for for the janissaries, only use 1 since 2 is a waste of money. Bashi bazouks with 3 or 5 chevrons are much more efficient either way.

Silahtar Guards are way better than mounted gunners, i would much rather recommend 3 guard horsemen and 3 mounted gunners.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by LotsofxXandzZ View Post
    Well i am going to be a bit critica labout these armies:First off, all british cav with the exception of KGL is pointless since none of them have shock resistance and typically even just a lancer charge will instantly rout light dragoons and dragoons.

Dragoon guards are also useless in most multiplayer situations.

Duke of Wellington isn't needed for the british army since they already have good morale and disciplined infantry. ( Only faction i would recommend 1200 point general for is Austria or if you are doing a militia spam )

You don't need 2 chevrons for for the janissaries, only use 1 since 2 is a waste of money. Bashi bazouks with 3 or 5 chevrons are much more efficient either way.

Silahtar Guards are way better than mounted gunners, i would much rather recommend 3 guard horsemen and 3 mounted gunners.

It also depends how you use them in battle. Everyone uses a different tactic and strategy. You can easily use Britsch cav to claim ground, harrass the enemy and to screw the enemy formation. The mounted cav is essential when you play as the Ottomans, because the Ottomans are deadly when you play very agressive. No one, will not try to defend themselfs against 4 units of mounted cav in their flanks, when infantry and melee units are enganging the front with full force.

Maybe, we should have a friendly battle? Just to compare our opinions about the army compositions.

Sorry if I made any mistakes in my English writing

- Grinch

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    It also depends how you use them in battle. Everyone uses a different tactic and strategy. You can easily use Britsch cav to claim ground, harrass the enemy and to screw the enemy formation. The mounted cav is essential when you play as the Ottomans, because the Ottomans are deadly when you play very agressive. No one, will not try to defend themselfs against 4 units of mounted cav in their flanks, when infantry and melee units are enganging the front with full force.

Maybe, we should have a friendly battle? Just to compare our opinions about the army compositions.

Sorry if I made any mistakes in my English writing

- Grinch
    Well i am just saying that you cant protect all mounted gunners with 1 guard cav. If the enemy decides to attack with his cav he will kill the mounted gunners who don't have good melee.

And yeah, feel free to add me on steam ( name is below ).

I would most likely take 6-7 Line 4-5 light 1-2 artillery(normally a 8/9 lber or 12 lber and howitzer) then 4+ cav

Laetus

You actually can when U use them correctly. But yes, the Salither guard mostly dies when defending the mountain cav. But my mounted cav always survived

- Grinch

Bryce Caron's Avatar Ordinarius

I'm someone that prefers a less mobile army, only usually 2-3 cav units, 5 skirmishers, and 2-4 cannon depending, then a General and the rest is line infantry.

As far as navies go, ships of the line historically were a minority. A lot of Englands navy was made up of Sloops, Brigs, Ketches, Carronade Frigates, Galleys, Frigates, and smaller ships of the Line. They used numerical advantages, and better crews/commanders to their advantage. I adapt this pretty literally, usually putting out about 25-40 sloops, brigs, razee's, bomb ketches, rocket ships, and carronade frigates, on top of 35-40 indiamen, and merchentmen.

i then crush you with 20 ships of the line and take home your indianmen.

Bryce Caron's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander of Scotland View Post
    i then crush you with 20 ships of the line and take home your indianmen.
    When my navy of Brigs/Rocket Ships/Ketches/Carronade Frigates/Razees takes out a little over half of yours, and you need to recruit, the other three stacks I have of the same composition will immediately finish yours off. I guarantee on of your stacks takes as much upkeep as 2-3 of mine. Your ships are big and slow, mine are small and fast. I can get off broadsides before you know what hit you, and my ketches and rocket ships will easily take out 3-4 of your largest ships, negating that huge firepower advantage you thought you had.

I personally use something like this:

1 General
    4 Melee Cav
    2 Cannons
    3 Howitzers
    10 Line Infantry

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

I read all the great tips about composition of the army, and I have a question about deployment (single player). I noticed, that my usual deployment from Empire doesn't work so well in NTW. I had 3-4 artillery side by side in the center, and line-inf on each flank (not much light inf). In ETW they could rout all comers - not i NTW though - I've lost some great artillery that way to a determined AI inf-charge (and a couple of generals who desperately tried to turn the tide).

Apart from artillery deployment I also wonder how you place your light inf? ahead of the line results in the enemy line stopping when in range - what do you do then? Fall back the lights or advance your line? Thanks in advance for the advice

For land:
    1 general
    6 cavalry
    13 infantry
    (5 of them should be lights if You're Austria or Prussia)

For sea just spam 74 guns