Thread: Increasing unit size in napoleon total war

Icon1 Increasing unit size in napoleon total war

This is my first tutorial so please bare with me here :-D
    Now then. increasing unit size is in fact one of the easiest things to mod in ntw.

You will need
    a computer
    an installed copy of ntw
    pack file manager

step 1
    open data.pack with pack file manager. this is can be found at
    program files/steam/steam apps/common/napoleon total war/data
    when opened, you will see a tree kind of thing on the left. open the bit that says db by clivking on the little plus.
    scroll down to unit stats land tables.
    open this
    right click on on unit stats land which will appear beneath.
    click extract. chose directory. hit enter.

step 2
    were finished with data.pack now. so click file then new. a window will appear asking something like make pack files relative to which directory. Navigate to the folder that you just extracred unit stats land to. select the folder. click ok.
    now the tree will have gone , and a lonely untitled.pack will lie there, the seed, if youlike.
    right click beneath this and select add file.
    navigate to the unit stats land that you extracted, select it and hit okay.
    Now you will see db has reappeared. we are growing our own pack tree. I love this analargy!

step 3
    click db, then unit stats land tables, then select unit stats land. A large table will appear on the right. There are a couple of ways to edit this, but the simplest is to use pfm itself. Look at the table, and you will see a column labelled unit size. Also, for cavalry and horse artillery therr is number of horses, and number of guns for artillery. Each unit in the game has these three columns. Which unit this is for is on the very left of the table. Keep in mind that for artillery, you should have six men to one gun. Edit to your hearts content.

step 4
    before saving, weneed to format the pack file. To do this right click under the tree, choose pack file type, then for this mod, choose movie. then click file and save.save into your napoleon data folder.

Step 5
    since this is a movie pack, there is no need to modify our user.script.txt. launch your game. test. enjoy. Bare in mind that massively increasing sizes may result in a laggy game, so you may need to turn down the graphics.

My mass military mod is an example of this type of mod. Can be downloaded from here at tw centre and from strategy informer. Dont tell me the artillery is wrong lol its on my mind to fix this.

You can also modify things such as accuracy, morale, abilities and much more in unit stats land by scrolling along and finding the correct coloumn.
    Thats all folks!
    Happy tree growing!

Default Re: Increasing unit size in napoleon total war

Hey good stuff!
    "My God, I wish we had the 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
    - - Major-General Francis de Guingaund, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-Forces Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944

"Australian troops had, at Milne Bay, inflicted on the Japanese their first undoubted defeat on land. Some of us may forget that, of all the allies, it was the Australians who first broke the invincibility of the Japanese army."
    — Field Marshal Sir William Slim.

Cheers

Fat Guy in a Box's Avatar Libertus

Will this work for changing unit stats in general? I want to mod all unit stats to an extremely realistic level based on some sources I have. Maybe then I'll release it as a mod. (Which I don't know how to do... )

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Guy in a Box View Post
    Will this work for changing unit stats in general? I want to mod all unit stats to an extremely realistic level based on some sources I have. Maybe then I'll release it as a mod. (Which I don't know how to do... )
    Extremele realistic level = extremely unrealistic goal.

There is also a simple method of increasing unit sizes via preferences or user.script files, by multiplying all pre-set values with
    campaign_unit_multiplier 1;
    command (where 1 is a multiplier)

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Guy in a Box View Post
    I want to mod all unit stats to an extremely realistic level based on some sources I have.
    Curious. I always wonder what people mean when they talk about extreme realism in terms of reducing real life to numbers. What sources say about attack numerical value of Napoleon's Old Guard f.ex.?

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

Yes, it should work for stats in general, but beware that many of the stats need to be at a particular number, and some may not even be used. Just experiment, but expect crashes and wierdness, and backup your game. Wouldnt want to go through the tedious process of a steam install again, would we?

I'm playing Darthmod Napoleon, I followed your instructions, doubling all artillery values. The "grand battery of the convention" or whatever the big French artiller unit is called has 48 men, so I doubled this to 96, now all artillery units have 96 men.

Not sure why that is, but aside from that, all artillery units now have 8 guns, great.

However the French militia unit (on 2x unit size) usually has 500 men. After making my changes it has 320. The French line fuisiliers normally have 360, aftrer my changes they have 320.

I only edited the artillery values.

Any idea why this is happening ? Thanks.

Edit:

Solved, I used this thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...o-Create-a-Mod

And deleted all rows aside from the ones for the artillery units. Hope this helps someone in the future.
    Last edited by sharkeyyyy; June 22, 2021 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Additional Information, Solution