Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Roma
    However, I have to agree with you about Arya. That scene was a bit questionable to say the least. Where did all of Walder Frey's bodyguards go? Did Arya kill all of them too? Did she basically kill everyone in the Twins? She was the only other person in that giant dining hall. Why was Walder there all by himself? How did Arya have the time to grind up those bodies of his sons and make them into a pie without anyone noticing they were gone and sound alarms? I thought the episode was fantastic, although this was the one part I found somewhat objectionable. And for that, I'm afraid to say it D&D, but I'm going to have to give you the shame bell one more time.
    We saw a toe (or was it a finger), there's only an assumption she actually made pies out of Walder's boys. Arya waited until Walder was alone to kill him, it could have taken days or weeks, there was no indication of when that happened.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; June 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM.

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    At the start of the season we saw the prophesy of the witch (Maggy the Frog) who cursed Cersei's children. When Cersei tells Jamie of the prophesy it's clear she believes it. She orders the Mountain to stop Tommen from going to the trial, he won't die by her plot, but leaves him alone once the explosion takes place. Cersei doesn't know Tommen will kill himself but shows no emotion at all when he does, as if she'd already given up on him. For Cersei this is a polar opposite of her life dedicated to her children and her reactions to the deaths of Joffrey and Myrcella.

Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
    Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.

The only person in the temple who's opinion mattered was the high Sparrow (no one could leave without his word) and he was too arrogant to believe Cersei had outwitted him. He thought he had her, he thought wrong.
    I don't know. Maybe I don't remember it right, but I didn't see her losing it since Joffrey got killed.

I'm not sure how he thought he had her. Cersei already used violence against one of his enforcers. At that moment he was indeed the only important person. However, that doesn't mean Margaery or more importantly Kevan Lannister should have taken measures against her. She was given free reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Wait, what? That was my entire point...the fact that they used a piano, which made everything seem off...seeing how that was unusual for the regular compositions of the show.
    Using an out of place instrument doesn't really do that right. You should give the feeling of something being off using something that wouldn't feel out of place. It's like Jon Snow suddenly using a lightsaber. Sure, that's technically something that's off, but in a bad way. It's just not well thought. When I was watching it I thought there was something wrong with the sound.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I don't know. Maybe I don't remember it right, but I didn't see her losing it since Joffrey got killed.
    She was devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I'm not sure how he thought he had her. Cersei already used violence against one of his enforcers. At that moment he was indeed the only important person. However, that doesn't mean Margaery or more importantly Kevan Lannister should have taken measures against her. She was given free reign.
    Because the trial was happening with the blessing of the King. They all think Cersei is coming with the King, they all thought she was beaten.

For people wondering why Walder Frey was alone, the series has shown him alone quite frequently, or with only a servant/wife around. After the Red Wedding it was only he and Roose alone. When he was talking to his two sons about taking Riverrun back he was alone except for them. And probably another time or two. So it's not odd that he would sit alone in the grand hall at Riverrun savoring his believed victory over those Tullys that mocked him for so long, until he got iced by Arya.

Also the time warping is odd, but I agree there appears to be implied time lapses.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Does anyone feel that the episode (and season) wrapped up way to cleanly? Like Dany saying "Well I guess I will have to find SOMEONE TO MARRY ME AND THATS WHY I CAN'T TAKE MY LOVER", cue John Snow reveal, the Sand Snakes and Olenna just suddenly joining Varys with Dany right after Cersei takes the throne, dany being sociopathic about her love life but then being all goody two shoes with Tyrion, Everything in Mereen is suddenly solved and Euron is essentially a nobody.

I feel like they are setting things up way to hard for a "Jon Snow is the second and Tyrion is the third head of the dragon, Jon Snow will marry Dany Stormborn and they will have the prince that was promise and defeat the Nights King, and live happily ever after, the end". They should have at least left some ambiguity as to the nature of the white walkers as opposed to evil terminators....

And for that matter, why kill ing Doran and Tristane if the sand snakes were going to be inconsequential this season? They could have easily had Tristane kill Myrcella, or Doran, and in the end have them making negotiations with Olenna. The sand snakes are so ing useless.

Frey fell by a femme fatale, feeling I had.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Lannisters are really great actors, might I add.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Jon Snow will marry Dany Stormborn and they will have the prince that was promise and defeat the Nights King, and live happily ever after, the end"
    isn't Jon the Prince that was Promised? he did reincarnate after all

i don't think they have time to bear a child and train him

I was being cheeky more than anything. Also people shouldn't get me wrong, this was a fantastic episode.

EDIT: I am also a firm believer that Lady Mormont should be Queen of Westeros.

In Lancel's final moments beneath the sept as he saw the green immolation erupt, he finally realized there was no breastplate stretcher.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Dragus View Post
    In Lancel's final moments beneath the sept as he saw the green immolation erupt, he finally realized there was no breastplate stretcher.
    And also that only the ladder to the breastplate stretcher is real.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

I think that Cersei only half believed the prophecy at the time Joffrey died, was convinced of it and wanted to control it, that why she sent Jaime to get her daughter back, and at her death, was already resigned to the fact that she'll see her last child die before her.

She's embraced her fate, and I think wants to take down as many of her enemies before she kicks the barrel.

Funny to have essentially a set up episode at the end of a season. I liked it but e.g. the time lapses seem out of order, e.g. Elara and Olenna talking about war with Cersei which should be a while after the event while the North seems in sequence, Arya probably should have taken a while to get over to Westeros again, Sam should have taken only a short while to Oldtown by comparison, etc. I also found Varys showing up a bit jarring but in essence we mainly got a lot of cool things setting things up in fast forward.

Well, Sansa is boring again, whished she would have gotten more bite... Little Lady Mormont was cool though. Seems she will be running off with LF in the end because LF is smart enough to realize not to pick a fight with a dragon queen over her throne.

Cersei's dress was kind of cool because it resembles Tywin's style a bit and she wore black before the Sept exploded. Also the silver decorations hinted at shoulder pauldrons which she then wore at the coronation. She said she wanted to be a boy as in thought herself capable to do everything a man could do and she looks rather androgynous in those clothes. I thought that clever.

One has to admit a lot of the wonky stuff this season was the TV show doing house cleaning aka cutting loose a dozen or more plot lines to get to the things that matter. This included stuff they formerly adhered to as they were in the books in some way but now decided to cut loose. Kind of speaks to the sorry state the books are in right now.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

If Catelyn Stark actually does come back from the dead, I suspect she kills Littlefinger.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

IT was a great episode, perhaps one of the better episodes and the best this season for sure.

However I have a hard time believing that Cersei would be crowned in a likewise manner in the books. And its quite a stretch for it to even happen that way in the show. Perhaps the reason that KL isn't rioting and attacking the red keep right now is the fear that Cersei will blow the whole city? if so that should have been implied more. Also theres all this wildfire under the city and Robert never got rid of it in the 19 year interregnum? Seems a stretch but I guess Robert never really was one to have a handle on things.

I also don't like the fact that they sidelined sansa and the fact that Jon accepted the title of King. In the books I just don't see that happening. I think he wants to be protector of the North possibly, but I have a hard time believing he'll go from LC to Stark to King to Targaryan if and when Howland Reed shows up. I could see him giving over the lands and titles to Rickon but accepting the name Stark finally. But then he will find out his true paternity. I see Stannis possibly being in the same situation as LF but without the political acumen to realize that these northerners will never follow him into battle in the south. Or he could end up dieing in the seige of Winterfell. And I seriously doubt that Brienne will show up in the north and do him in. So needless to say I think the northern storyline will be almost completely unrecognizable in the books. obviously Sansa won't be there either.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

jons setup is very simple, he wants to unite as many as possible against the WW, so if he has to be king, so be it. The Reluctant Wulf anyone?

Since Jon Snow is the son of Rhaegar, does that make him the legitimate heir to the throne, over Danerys? Or does he remain a bastard because they were not married?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Since Jon Snow is the son of Rhaegar, does that make him the legitimate heir to the throne, over Danerys? Or does he remain a bastard because they were not married?
    What did Lyanna whisper to Ned. There's a theory she and Rhaegar married and Jon is Targaryen.