Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

We need Sitothro to appear as well.

Sit on the iron throne
    sit on the throne
    sit on throne
    sit o thro! sitothro! :o
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

If they continue the sought of theme of the wolves fates being representative of their human counterparts, it will be curious to see what summers death means for Bran (if they are not just killing the direwolf for the sake of it).

Summer is dead. By Winter. Which is coming :o
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Hodor wasn't just a big brain dead misfit, somewhere in there he knew Bran had given him a mission. He stayed loyal his whole life and when his time came he held fast and made his stand, quite literally. I'm also fairly sure the connection with Bran was broken before the dead got through the door, that realisation this was his moment.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; May 24, 2016 at 07:28 AM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by +Marius+ View Post
    Helmet is fugly, the rest is pleasant because it reminds me that this exists;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMBRq_RnPk

"There are more lions on the gauntlets, and at the elbows...lions...everywhere."
    That music was so wonderfully pompous and British sounding. I'm going to need at least a gallon of English tea after watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Hey Marius, you've critiqued and criticized Ser Arthur Dayne's armor, but what's your opinion of the Lannister armor from previous seasons?

Seems like their bodies are pretty well covered to me, but what do I know?
    Helmet is fugly, the rest is pleasant because it reminds me that this exists;
    I like the helmets, it gives them a vaguely Japanese touch and helps accentuate the distinct culture of the Lannister homelands. The only thing I'd criticize about those is the apparent lack of throat protection (though perhaps they are wearing mail r something similar underneath).

Maybe a lot will happen in the next ep, judging by the rather poor trailer (it can just be that it is a poor ep, of course but possibly it has more deaths of known characters).

Seems like most of the known ones will die this season, and maybe a couple from previous seasons re-appear (Blackfish? Benjen? Katherin-Stoneheart?)

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I like the helmets, it gives them a vaguely Japanese touch and helps accentuate the distinct culture of the Lannister homelands.
    ...what distinct culture?

They are feudal lands in WESTeros.

The only thing I'd criticize about those is the apparent lack of throat protection
    Throat?

More like everything beneath the nose;

http://i.imgur.com/I1fJ4Ia.jpg

To the credit of GoT costumes, Tarth and Tyrell armors(and helmets) are on point;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHAQzH10GU

Magnificent.
    Last edited by +Marius+; May 24, 2016 at 09:24 AM.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

from FICTIONALandia.

To the credit of GoT costumes, Tarth and Tyrell armors(and helmets) are on point;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHAQzH10GU

Magnificent.
    It's a generic medieval helmet, they are so dull I couldn't cut butter with them. Also that english armor looks super ugly, I much prefer those fancy gothic armors with the sallet helmets.

Come to think of it, those lannister helmets would have looked pretty cool with that neck protecting bit from those types of armors.
    Last edited by saxdude; May 24, 2016 at 09:39 AM.

...what distinct culture?

Every place has its local culture, in the real world and in Westeros. Also, you need the various feudal armies to look differently in a movie or show, so that the viewers can tell them more easily apart.

Throat?

More like everything beneath the nose;

http://i.imgur.com/I1fJ4Ia.jpg
    Lots of helmets don't cover the entire face. So the main problem with these helmets is the lack of protection for the throat and neck. And even that only because they're supposed to be part of a suit of relatively heavy armour (as opposed to more basic armour worn by lighter troops).

Anyways, hoping for Coldhands to finally make an appearance. Can't think of another way Bran and Meera might possibly make it to the wall, unless the White Walkers let them escape by design.

Anyways, hoping for Coldhands to finally make an appearance. Can't think of another way Bran and Meera might possibly make it to the wall, unless the White Walkers let them escape by design.
    Presumably they will? I mean after all the Nights King can follow them now, though that would kind of put Hodors sacrifice into perspective... Maybe It's a win-win, if they kill bran they stop whatever bran is supposed to do in the plot, if they dont kill bran, free ticket into westeros.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Presumably they will? I mean after all the Nights King can follow them now, though that would kind of put Hodors sacrifice into perspective... Maybe It's a win-win, if they kill bran they stop whatever bran is supposed to do in the plot, if they dont kill bran, free ticket into westeros.
    They'd still freeze to death and/or starve without help, given the distance they have to cover.

from FICTIONALandia.
    ...that has the word "west" in it

It's a generic medieval helmet, they are so dull I couldn't cut butter with them.

Even simple nasal helms come in beautiful designs.

Also that english armor looks super ugly
    It is like you are actively trying to make foam come out of my mouth.

Come to think of it, those lannister helmets would have looked pretty cool with that neck protecting bit from those types of armors.
    You mean a bevor;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLoUebiwjYQ

Yeah, they would make the helmet make sense.

Every place has its local culture, in the real world and in Westeros.
    Yeah, I get that.

Lots of helmets don't cover the entire face.
    I merely pointed out that it is not just the throat that was exposed.

Anyways, hoping for Coldhands to finally make an appearance.
    Yes, Coldhands ftw.

...that has the word "west" in it

Even simple nasal helms come in beautiful designs.
    Well I have yet to see any Aztec armor designs in GoT, and thats about as west as you can go
    Maybe they do, but they are never made present, only their far inferior and boring normie counterparts. But probably the worst thing to see on screen is the basinet helmet. God what an awful, broing and awful design.

It is like you are actively trying to make foam come out of my mouth.
    Well not everything has to be made in steel man! I hate those veiny strands that are supposed to be lions hair. Couple that with the basinet helmet and it just makes for an ugly suit of armor. Add some actual fur! Feathers! spruce it up! And yes, I did mean a Bevor.

And I maybe am trying
    Last edited by saxdude; May 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM.

I like the helmets, it gives them a vaguely Japanese touch and helps accentuate the distinct culture of the Lannister homelands. The only thing I'd criticize about those is the apparent lack of throat protection (though perhaps they are wearing mail r something similar underneath).
    Hah! Come to think of it, it does look somewhat Japanese inspired, although with significantly larger solid plates than both lamellar and laminar armor.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now look at a typical Lannister guy:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Then again, it kinda looks like Lancel Lannister (gods what a stupid name!) is wearing overlapping laminar armor here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    although with significantly larger solid plates than both lamellar and laminar armor.
    I thought it was inspired by European segmented armor(also called "anime" armor for some reason, obviously just to make googleing it much, much harder);

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...85abb40c98.jpg

I thought it was inspired by European segmented armor(also called "anime" armor for some reason, obviously just to make googleing it much, much harder);

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...85abb40c98.jpg
    I Googled "anime armor" and I immediately saw some pics with lady bits that were naughty.

Thanks for teaching me a new name for a type of armor, though. Makes perfect sense to call it segmented, seeing how Roman laminar plate armor was called lorica segmentata.

Anywho, quick question: how many Hodors could a Hodor Hodor if a Hodor could Hodor Hodors? The answer: a single door. Which ain't going to buy you much aside from maybe this discount black metal album.

Apparently, "anima" works far better as a search term;

https://www.google.hr/search?q=anima...OAAyQQ_AUIBigB

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Since we are on the armor-nerd thing, not a very protective armor at all really, especially the arms and legs are exposed, but so are the neck and sides. It is in severe need of chainmail. Good enough for grunts I suppose. Th are all cannon-fodder anyway.

For comparrison:

Look at theese grunts, Half-plate over chainmail with a shield with exstra plate on legs and forearm. Not that it helped them much in the movie, but the armor is gorgeous and historically (and therefore practically) right.

So the annoying bit: A random mook of gondor being better equipped than the Kingsguard of GoT despite both having access to at least equal level of armor technology. Which is inconsistency which is annoying. For nerds. Like me.
    Last edited by Påsan; May 24, 2016 at 12:03 PM.

Byzantine armor>Western armor ^^