Page 3 of 527 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: GAME OF THRONES - Season 3( May Contain Spoilers )

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    The Northerners worship the Seven as official state religion of Westeros. They are just the only one's where the conversion is not complete and families like the Starks worship both. Arya at some point says she worships both and overall I do not think the other kingdoms would consider it acceptable otherwise.

Catelyn also comes from the Riverland aka would worship the Seven. Overall it makes sense that the seven would be the normal religion to marry.

Wrong, The Northerners worship mostly the Old Gods, they are First Men so they don't worship the Andals's Seven.The Stark children worship both because Ned allowed their mother to give them also that type of religious education, but even Sansa (probably the more distant to Stark values) prefers to worship the Old Gods.In Westeros there is not an official state religion like in medieval Europe, the various people living there are free to worship whatever religion they wish, indeed the Northern wedding done by the Old Gods in ADWD has the same value as a wedding done in the sight of the Seven.

Robb is King In The North, he has only one vassal family (House Manderly) that follows the Faith of the Seven, while the rest of his vassals and people worship the Old Gods.Indeed, that scene was a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    Wrong, The Northerners worship mostly the Old Gods, they are First Men so they don't worship the Andals's Seven.The Stark children worship both because Ned allowed their mother to give them also that type of religious education, but even Sansa (probably the more distant to Stark values) prefers to worship the Old Gods.In Westeros there is not an official state religion like in medieval Europe, the various people living there are free to worship whatever religion they wish, indeed the Northern wedding done by the Old Gods in ADWD has the same value as a wedding done in the sight of the Seven.

Robb is King In The North, he has only one vassal family (House Manderly) that follows the Faith of the Seven, while the rest of his vassals and people worship the Old Gods.Indeed, that scene was a disgrace.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_Seven

Robb is in the Riverlands marrying a non Northerner. Marrying according to the Seven is the logical choice.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

That maybe has some logic in it, as a godswood was probably distant (closest Riverrun I guess) from where they married, but all the other points made in your first post are simply wrong.The fact is that both Robb and Talisa don't worship the Faith of the Seven (Talisa is from Volantis and Robb as King in the North with strong Stark values, his preference is surely for the Old Gods) so it doesn't make that much sense either.Things would be different of course, if they kept Jeyne Westerling.

Pretty sure that Talisa worships the seven (which is not anymore confined to Westeros than Rh'llor is to the Assai) given how Robb meets her (working with the silent sisters). Also it hardly matters what they worship there as she detest Volantis for being a slave city anyways.

I love it a bunch of people nitpicking about something that is the same as the book. How the hell is it a FACT that Talisa doesn't worship the seven? Ridiculous... I feel for anyone who has to sit in the room with you people while you watch TV and moan about such inane crap.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post
    Clive Russel has been cast for the Blackfish.

Has exactly the kind of face I imagined him having. As for the other supposed castings, Selyse is way too good looking(selyse is stannis' wife right?) as is the Reed girl.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Selyse I'd agree with you but Meera is supposed to be cute.

I thought she was described as very plain and boyish looking. I guess they could plain her up a bit though, and she doesn't look horribly different from what I imagined I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tarvu View Post
    Pretty sure that Talisa worships the seven (which is not anymore confined to Westeros than Rh'llor is to the Assai) given how Robb meets her (working with the silent sisters). Also it hardly matters what they worship there as she detest Volantis for being a slave city anyways.

I love it a bunch of people nitpicking about something that is the same as the book. How the hell is it a FACT that Talisa doesn't worship the seven? Ridiculous... I feel for anyone who has to sit in the room with you people while you watch TV and moan about such inane crap.

She is from Volantis, from an old noble family.If you bothered to read anything about Volantis (ADWD) you will know that they have nothing to do with the Andals and their Faith of the Seven.A noble woman from Volantis doesn't keep that Faith, that is a FACT.The Seven are one of the least "exportable" religion in the world, it's not an exotic religion, it doesn't have that appeal, it is only the religion of the Andals, strictly connected to them.She may not like the slavery of her city, but that doesn't mean anything.She indeed seems to have no trouble speaking about her family and her background, no reason to think that she doesn't keep that culture.

She is working with the silent sister as a nurse, not as a silent sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    I thought she was described as very plain and boyish looking. I guess they could plain her up a bit though, and she doesn't look horribly different from what I imagined I guess.
    I'm sure Meera is supposed to be cute. I'm pretty sure there's a part of the book where Theon was thinking about Meera, for example.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Ladies and Gentlemen, Beric Dondarrion. http://winteriscoming.net/2012/06/ca...ation-roundup/

Last edited by EireEmerald; July 07, 2012 at 02:30 PM.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

That's not the same actor from season 1, is it?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Nope, they will probably dye his hair(however long it will be, or give him a wig) and beard.

Blog Entries

I would hope so.

I hate when actors are changed. Like The Mountain...Yeah, the new guy has the height, but he just doesn't look as intimidating as the previous actor.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

New Mountain sucked, in most scenes he was in you wouldn't even know he was the mountain if you weren't told. Actually never did know when he was the Mountain except for when Tywin was insulting him.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    I'm sure Meera is supposed to be cute. I'm pretty sure there's a part of the book where Theon was thinking about Meera, for example.
    Theon s everything so that's not much of an indication. I just went back and read it and Bran does say there's little to distinguish her as a girl at first. Yeah I pictured her cute as well in a tomboyish/plain way but the girl pictured just seems a bit too done up and feminine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    New Mountain sucked, in most scenes he was in you wouldn't even know he was the mountain if you weren't told. Actually never did know when he was the Mountain except for when Tywin was insulting him.
    I didn't know either. When he was picking out the next person to be tortured I thought it was just some guy.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I would hope so.

I hate when actors are changed. Like The Mountain...Yeah, the new guy has the height, but he just doesn't look as intimidating as the previous actor.
    In this case though Beric Dondarrion only appeared for about 10 seconds, and frankly even though I've watched season one about a dozen times I barely remember what he looks like. I'd also wager a lot of people won't even remember the character at all, unlike The Mountain.

Going forward, they shouldn't have the problem of recasting minor roles. The problem for season one was that it was a brand new series that could of failed, and you'll have a hard time getting contracts for more than one season for actors with minor parts - the last thing they want is to be tied to a small role in a series that could be cancelled straight away. Now it's a successful show, HBO should be having an easier time.

What I'm worried about though... (spoilered just in case)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Is if the actress for Lysa Arryan and David Bradly as Walder Frey are going to be returning. Lord Frey in particular is going to be important next year, and I don't see how they can work in changing those two. I've already seen that both the Greatjon and Alliser Thorne only had one season contracts and didn't return this year...

Blog Entries

Oh I understand about contracts. I just hate it because it sort of a slap in the face to the viewer's intelligence from the producers, to me. Though I more than understand when it comes to actor deaths (Harris as Dumbledore in HP, Whitfield as Spartacus, etc).

The mountain was recast because the original actor was cast in The Hobbit and couldn't film season 2. No fault of the producers.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    That maybe has some logic in it, as a godswood was probably distant (closest Riverrun I guess) from where they married, but all the other points made in your first post are simply wrong.The fact is that both Robb and Talisa don't worship the Faith of the Seven (Talisa is from Volantis and Robb as King in the North with strong Stark values, his preference is surely for the Old Gods) so it doesn't make that much sense either.Things would be different of course, if they kept Jeyne Westerling.
    It's obvious that they follow a polytheistic interpretation of religion. This means you don't have to choose one at the exclusion of everything else. Since Catelyn seemingly educated her children in the Seven there is no reason Robb sees a marriage under the Seven as problematic, esspecially since the Old religion does not contain any dogma and making vows before a weirwood tree is not really about any ritual but the belief that such vows contain greater strength.

Concerning Talisa the very same applies. There is no claim made that she worships any particular religion or still feels ties to her home city and culture so why she would see a marriage vow before the Seven as a no go is again pretty strange. And given where she landed after starting out as a noblewoman from old blood in Volantis one can easily derive she doesn't give a damn about tradition or she wouldn't be patching up people at all, let alone a couple of thousand miles away from home.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    It's obvious that they follow a polytheistic interpretation of religion.

No, they don't.A follower of the Faith follows just that particular type of interpretation of divinity.Maybe the followers of the Old Gods don't have to keep various strict rules, but it's still not a polytheistic world like what we had in our world.Indeed the Faith of the Seven, is basically a church like the Catholic one.