Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Not the first time it's happened. They're teeing up the season. You guys should see some of the first episodes of 24.

The Last Hearth was awesome though.
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 15, 2019 at 02:45 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Opening credits were cool.

18. First big hint as the land changes around the Last Hearth, the Night King has passed that point.

56 seconds. A man on the right holding a dagger in one hand and what looks like the head (of the Night King) in the other. On the left, looks like a lion with a fish in it's mouth... In the centre a figure (wolf?) that has been hung and stabbed/shot with arrows.

1.20 a POV of a (ballista thing) crossbow pointing down at Balerion the dread's skull, which is flanked by two other dragon skulls.

1.33 Looks like (4) dragons following the comet..

Some things to mull over...

In the show itself.

Thing about meeting up with someone you have a close connection to but haven't spoken to in a long time, after the initial hugs and warm feelings there's often bugger all to talk about. The episode was crammed full of those moments where emotions were more important than words. Any way, as Bran said, they don't have time for all that...

Expectation for the battle is so high the first couple of episodes are setting up what happens after, in particular Bronn hired as an assassin to kill Tyrion and Jaime. Much as Bronn has been a blaggard, I just didn't buy Cersi thinking he would do it. Be interesting to see how that plays out.

Jon rides a dragon, smutty jokes aside, cool moment that adds weight to Sam's revelation. Can't see Jon breeching the point before the battle, he's slow on the uptake but he's not stupid.

The scene at the last Hearth, creepy. Still get the sense the Night King is manipulating events, why leave a message in a place you've already passed....

Good opener, most season openers have been a stuttering, even when they were taking from the books.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; April 15, 2019 at 03:40 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Apparently by now Sansa is the smartest ever, and Tyrion another moron. There are way too many characters and they gave them all air time, which looked imo stupid, particularly with the low level dialogue. The Varys/Onion plot to have Tyrion/Sansa as rulers is logical, but underwhelming and apparently Varys doesn't mind talking treason in public by now cause everything makes no sense anyway.
    Greyjoy plot is even worse; by the way, why does Cercei even need Euron now? He already carried the golden company over.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Blog Entries

why does Cercei even need Euron now? He already carried the golden company over.
    If things go bad the only escape is by sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    If things go bad the only escape is by sea.
    I don't think she cares to save a whole army to go with her. Let's not pretend this isn't another half-baked idiocy of D & D; the list is long and full of terrors.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I don't think she cares to save a whole army to go with her. Let's not pretend this isn't another half-baked idiocy of D & D; the list is long and full of terrors.
    You really think Cersi would jump on a single ship and sail off to a remote island to live out her days weaving baskets. She's a paranoid narcissist already hated by half the Severn kingdoms, anywhere she goes she would need an army to set herself up, and if she saved the Lannister army they would stay loyal... Makes perfect sense to keep Euron on side, she might still need his fleet.

Senator

.... and his mighty "ram"

Blog Entries

And maybe she just liked that thing Euron asked Jamie about..

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

She's a paranoid narcissist already hated by half the Severn kingdoms, .
    Gloucester, Worcester, Tewkesbury,Shrewsbury, Ironbridge, Welshpool?

It is amusing to see people try to account for obvious plot merchant-ups. I suppose there is hidden wisdom in the waif not checking if Arya was dead too.
    If you somehow hope the Lannister army will be standing after anything, then you could also imagine their ships will be there too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    Gloucester, Worcester, Tewkesbury,Shrewsbury, Ironbridge, Welshpool?
    Very popular in Ramsbottom, by all accounts. Not convinced ‘Welshpool’ is a real place.

Kyriakos: Your trolling of this show and clear lack of basic plot sense is amusing.

At least i am trolling the show, which is within forum rules

I'm just saying:

Jon rides a dragon, smutty jokes aside, cool moment that adds weight to Sam's revelation. Can't see Jon breeching the point before the battle, he's slow on the uptake but he's not stupid.
    The other thing to consider is that while Jon effectively ejected himself from the Night's Watch when they killed him, he still functionally considers himself the Night's Watch in what he focuses on. He's been Beyond the Wall. He knows the true threat personally. He knows it's coming, and he'll do what he has to deal with it. While everybody else, his family, Daenerys, and all the other families are still playing politics. The dialogue of this episode pushes that. He blatantly says his focus is on the Army of the Dead, while Sansa and Arya drag him for not quite thinking larger game than that. And Sansa keeps thinking big politics. Arya is focused on the family. Other families back out. The Last Hearth falls. There are only five people in Winterfell that have seen the Army of the Dead. Jon, The Hound, Gendry, Jorah, and Daenerys. Soon, they will all see what's coming.

Jon forswore all rights when he joined the Night's Watch. Even the rights he didn't know he had. His right to be King in the North he gained after he left the Night's Watch by right of his own action in reuniting the North in preparation for what was coming from Beyond the Wall. Will he be interested in the Iron Throne at all?

Only if the writers are interested in kicking the anthill in a very uncharacteristic way.
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 15, 2019 at 08:39 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

You really think Cersi would jump on a single ship and sail off to a remote island to live out her days weaving baskets. She's a paranoid narcissist already hated by half the Severn kingdoms, anywhere she goes she would need an army to set herself up, and if she saved the Lannister army they would stay loyal... Makes perfect sense to keep Euron on side, she might still need his fleet.
    Yes, for me, Cersei represents the paranoid and egotistical monarch, who sees enemies everywhere and is ready to cast the realm into war and chaos to settle a personal score. She is not, however, as Tywin L pointed out: "as clever ash she thinks". I've always regarded her as highly emotional to the point of incompetent. Her dealing with Euron only proves this. She initially has no intention of letting him into her bed, but changes her mind when she starts to ponder what would happen if he switches side or deserts her.

Jon/Dany represents the more altruistic ruler who have a clear vision of how they want to use their powers instead of just being content having it.

I liked the first episode, many good moments and so on. But I sort of always miss Tywin Lannister. Charles Dances' performance was just perfect, and he was the Grand Moff Tarkin of GoT! The perfect bad guy, in my book. Not "evil", vulgar or sadistic, but just chillingly brutal and efficient. He added such gravitas to the show, I think.

Tywin was more Lawful Evil or Lawful Neutral. If he were still alive he'd literally bully Cersei into joining the fight against the dead were he at the meeting where they saw that zombie. He'd make a Xanatos Gambit out of the entire mess for his family. But they'd fight the fight.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Apparently by now Sansa is the smartest ever, and Tyrion another moron. There are way too many characters and they gave them all air time, which looked imo stupid, particularly with the low level dialogue. The Varys/Onion plot to have Tyrion/Sansa as rulers is logical, but underwhelming and apparently Varys doesn't mind talking treason in public by now cause everything makes no sense anyway.
    Greyjoy plot is even worse; by the way, why does Cercei even need Euron now? He already carried the golden company over.
    Im thinking is probably a hint, of a falling out between Daenerys and Jon Snow. ( nothing lasts, and the Sam scenes, and that not everyone is on board with her, which makes sense) At this point if a falling out doesn't happen im going to be disappointed.
    And yeah i disliked what they did with Tyrion over the last seasons. Sansa calling on him was a cool dig though. I wonder if they are really killing tyrion of.

Overall i do felt the cinematography was pretty good, some of the acting was good too. the dialogue though... Even though had a bit too much of a fan service then it needed to be.

Did enjoy the scene in the last hearth with the Umber boy as well, short as it was.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 15, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

I liked Sam - which i never did up to now. Maybe because only his scene had meaning (i refer to the revelation his father and Dickon/Rickon were dead) and he acted it well That said... the show writers managed to turn him into a comic character in the next scene, with the "bloody seven kingdoms". Didn't you just lose two members of your family? Not fat/painful enough?

The gore with the Umber boy was cool too, of course.

Other than that i agree the amount of fan service in this show is too damn high

John Bradley (Sam) is a great actor btw, i think his scenes were the highlight of the episode for me.

I get the feeling that this episode was more of a setup then an actual filler, which, is hopefully a good thing. Hopefully because, well it is only a setup if they end up following trough with their stuff.

BTW im sure im not the only one who find the Romance of Jon with Dany, and their interactions quite Cringy? I mean:
    -"Its too cold up here for a southern Girl"
    -"Then come warm your Queen"

lol really?
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 15, 2019 at 10:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin
    Will he be interested in the Iron Throne at all?
    Exactly, Jon has never cared for titles or castles, he's all about the people. He's not delusional enough to consider himself a capable (peacetime) ruler or egotistical enough to not care. If he survives (big if) I can see him walking off into the sunset, like Kane from Kung-fU.

Quote Originally Posted by Joar
    Yes, for me, Cersei represents the paranoid and egotistical monarch
    She learned from her 'alliance' with the Sparrow, never turn your back on your friends. Euron himself is far beneath her, but his fleet is a powerful tool not to be dismissed out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post

BTW im sure im not the only one who find the Romance of Jon with Dany, and their interactions quite Cringy? I mean:
    -"Its too cold up here for a southern Girl"
    -"Then come warm your Queen"

lol really?
    Welcome to real life. If you've never been in a relationship that didn't get that cringey then you've never been in a relationship.

All these shows with eloquent relationship dialogue I just go "where the living hell is the realism? Where is the 'that sounded so much better in my head' line?! why isn't one of them sticking their foot in their mouth at the wrong time and killing the moment?"
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson