Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

The nobility is fickle and expensive; archers are more economical, and their loyalty is to their paymaster.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

This could be the best GOT episode to date. I mean, I had no hype or expectations, but damn, I haven't been this entertained watching TV for..for ages. It may not have been entirely realistic, but it was well shot and damn powerful.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

The episode was very cool! I did not expect any realistic warfare tactical choices because it will never happen in any tv show or movie (a few exceptions like Oliver Stones Alexander, of course).

Disconsidering this aspect we had a lot of brutality and some fantastic scenes. Those horse charges while Jon Snow was swinging his sword and brutalizing people were damn sweet!

I really wish we would have Lord Edmure and not Lord Baelish saving the day. We all knew one of them would appear to save the day but I really wanted to see Lord Edmure reunited with his kin in the North. The real appeal of the Starks was how united the family was. I wanted another taste of that.

Overall a good episode, with some cliches we all expected to happen, but good episode.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

The envelopment was dumb, the rest of the battle was awesome.

Actually the whole episode was top notch
    Last edited by Påsan; June 20, 2016 at 02:59 PM.

Ramsay is a total war noob. Sacrificing your Calvary when you have pikemen and could have easily hammer and anviled their levy spears?? SMH

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    the north doesnt exactly have a great track record for great generals (i guess roose was alright). while i understand why the battle was close up and dramatic, the actions of both sides were retarded. ramsay sends his superior cavalry, just to kill them himself? must have learned his stuff from this guy:
    Funny. Kyriakos, Marius and I already had a conversation about Longshanks on the previous page.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    The envelopment was dumb, the rest of the battle was awesome.
    Dumb on Jon's part for forcing Ser Davos into that decision. A lot of Jon's men could have still been breathing by the end of the day had he not done his suicidal charge (after seeing Rickon die). The Knights of the Vale were coming to his aid anyway, so either way Ramsay would have had to retreat into Winterfell for a potential siege (which, so long as they had the giant Wun Wun, wasn't going to last very long either).

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    This could be the best GOT episode to date. I mean, I had no hype or expectations, but damn, I haven't been this entertained watching TV for..for ages. It may not have been entirely realistic, but it was well shot and damn powerful.
    i started punching the palm of my hand and cheering when Ramsey got shielded to the face, it was quite the moment to lose your , very orgasmic

and then beautiful Sophie Turner shows up in the next shot and makes me feel bad about my reaction with her look of disgust

BUT IT TURNS OUT SHE WAS EVEN WORSE!

women
    Last edited by snuggans; June 20, 2016 at 03:32 PM.

The point where the horses collided and Jon's berserk mode were highlights of the battle. I did expect him to have at least some of Robb's strategic mind though. He abandoned the planned, yet simple, strategy they had right away. However, there were few rookie mistakes that I think could be avoided easily. They could give us a hint on Sansa, by showing her sneaking away from the camp to meet with Baelish or something, or she shouldn't be standing with Baelish and actually be surprised of the horns herself hearing them at a distance. It just felt disconnected. Other than that, where was the rest of Ramsay's army? He appeared to have much more forces. We should at least should have seen the archers. The field was suddenly empty of any of his men. They could easily address that by his army breaking apart with some running for the citadel once the Knights of Vale appeared.

By the way, wasn't this battle a total Battle for Gondor?
    The Armenian Issue

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Ramsay dead scene was the best scene ever. Tad dissapointed about how the battle went and I'd had hoped for at least some Manderly knights with the men of the Vale. It was filmed very well though.

The episode also had one of the first Dany scenes I liked, the dragons and Dothraki on the attack were great to see. The meeting with Yara and Theon wasn't though.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The charge of the Dothraki blood rider horde to kill, a dozen, or so Harpies. Them lads do love a bit of overkill...

Avid ASOIF reader here - I don't how they manage to f-up these characters or dumb this story down anymore... For Pete's sake Sansa was grinning when the Vale knights were charging, forgetting that she had just lost her little brother (!). Was this her true purpose? Whack Rickon and take the North? I doubt that plotline - it's too complex for the writers of this dump.

Don't even get me started on the logic behind the battle - Cannae? Beach please

To be fair, I don't think Sansa even knew about Rickon yet. I don't think she was present for the entire battle up until the point that the Littlefinger and his Knights of the Vale arrived. I think it was implied that she was riding with them, seeing how she was mounted right next to Littlefinger. She probably didn't even learn about Rickon's death until after Winterfell was completely taken. Perhaps they're being consistent with the idea that Starks are just inherently stupid, having "quick tempers...slow minds" as Littlefinger concluded in Season 1 (I mentioned this on the previous page).

I think this show has other obvious flaws, though.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

The Harpies outside of the gates, killing... some guys who were doing, what exactly, what were they all doing outside of the walls? I had to suspend my disbelief for a moment there, though only for a second.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Sansa had already written off her brother.

I think at this point, she thinks of herself as an orphan, and Jon as a useful relation whose loyalty is guaranteed by a blood tie.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Protector Domesticus

The scale of things in the Meereen scenes was all out of wack, they should've had at least a small army of harpies or even a slave soldier army outside the gates so that the dothraki horde had something to smash.
    The dragons attacking the ships was fun but we get to see them burn one measly ship? I know she needs ships but damn at least have the dragons do a big flyby spewing flames rather then hovering, where realistically they should've been shot down by Ballista fire had the slavers been smart enough to bring some.

Also in the Bastard battle, where was Ghost?
    Last edited by SLN445; June 21, 2016 at 06:36 AM.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    To be fair, I don't think Sansa even knew about Rickon yet.
    She already knew that if Rickon is in Ramsay's hands, he's a dead man (boy) walking. She had already written Rickon off, and rightly so. Y'all getting so excited about the fight scenes you forget that Sansa warned Jon for exactly this kind of situation. Ah well , Stark men will be Stark men! Oblivious to common sense , exhaustingly blockheaded , perpetually tired of life.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; June 21, 2016 at 06:55 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Sums it up, really

Coming up next: Varys in Dorne, the Sandsnakes return after a needed 8-ep quarantine.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

These guys gets it.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

^Those guys suck almost as much as D & D
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC