Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

In my opinion it was implied that the mountain would rape her and maybe even cut her in half Elia Martell style. He is a know rapist and what could be more brutal than being raped a man man which is more akin to a beast these days, a true abomination. I really liked that theory of Sam. Very clever, for sure. It probably never occurred to most people but it does make sense. Fantastic season finale, by the way. Cant wait anotehr year!

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Cersei has her own dungeon creep in Qyburn who is far more proficient at conventional torture than the zombie Mountain. The Mountain hasn't really got many options, either brute force or rape with the latter making the most sense. If she wanted her to feel a lot of pain torture is probably better than brute force.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Well don't really have the time read all the posts: so I liked the episode. I though they did a nice job with with bracketing both Cersei and Aryra they are both broken and the only thing they in have common is vengeance. Cersei - well because she always been on this arc and she wanted it on a grand scale. Aryra long broken - seems to prefer a personal touch and even more ghoulish (Arrya got to enjoy her kills with an almost orgasmic personal delight) Cersei just had to imagine (well except for the nun but even that she outsourced). But all the same the wine was cool as she just stood and waited (Cersei that is) for the blast.

I also liked the contrast between the grim crowing Cersei and the sort bewildered Jon (crowned by acclimation) as the two kings in Westros. Yes there is Danny but how long will it take her to teleport and all those horses are dead.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
    My own experience with TV shows is that the director is less important than the writers and the producers. In a movie, they are much more important though.
    "It's not TV: it's HBO."

Seriously, though, the finale episode felt more like a blockbuster movie sequal than an actual cable TV episode.

If you look at the quality of the directing from Sapochnik to others, you can see a real marked difference. I'm sure D&D go beyond the scriptwriting to micromanage certain things, but nearly all the choices of how to frame shots and what to emphasize in terms of duration of scenes, swift movements versus dragging them out, the emotions expressed by the actors, etc. are the prerogative of the director. Imagine if someone like Mylod had directed the finale episode instead of Sapochnik, the latter of whom took great care to build up the tension of each scene as the characters prepared for the trials and progressed to the Sept of Baelor. Imagine Mylod trying to handle a scene like Tommen being stopped at the door by the Mountain and soon afterwards his suicide. Imagine Mylod, the guy who had the T-1000 Waif chase scene, trying to direct the entire Battle of the Bastards at Winterfell. It would look so drastically different it would perhaps be hardly recognizable compared to Sapochnik's version and vision of things.

There's more to this show than just pointing a camera at people and keeping it there for endless dialogue. This is not an episode of Murder She Wrote. This is mother f-ing Game of Thrones.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

...There are a few notable GoT veterans sitting out next year, such as Miguel Sapochnik – the director of this season’s hugely impressive “Battle of the Bastards” and Sunday’s explosive finale.
    That's a massive loss. Sapochnik has a real feel for the setting and pacing of the show, he managed to cram tons of peripheral events into episodes dominated by major events without missing a step.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    That's a massive loss. Sapochnik has a real feel for the setting and pacing of the show, he managed to cram tons of peripheral events into episodes dominated by major events without missing a step.
    The man is pretty much a genius when it comes to directing. Game of Thrones has some good directors, but none of them possess quite the same calibre as him. Season 5 was for the most part a train-wreck in slow motion, yet "Hardhome" stands out as one of the greatest episodes of the whole series, let alone that season, largely thanks to his directing. I'm glad he's getting lots of work, but it'll cost Game of Thrones in the short run. Hopefully he'll return for Season 8.

And the crossover series, Game of Gnomes: Hobbit Assault.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I believe the Moutain is going to eat her.

"Zombie wants blood and flesh"

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

The more I listen to that song that was used for Cersei and the explosion, the more I realize how poorly they used it. The song, while being great, was completely alien to the show. A great way they could use it was to start with a more proper in place and slowly transition to colder piano and string parts showing the changing tides in Westeros orchestrated by Cersei. The setting in the show is shifting. The new song could work greatly with that. But to do it abruptly without any sense of transitioning was just poor choice.
    The Armenian Issue

The mountain has no concept of foreplay.

I wonder if we'll get a flashback next season that will actually show Rhaegar. Am I the only one that thinks Rhaegar is awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I wonder if we'll get a flashback next season that will actually show Rhaegar. Am I the only one that thinks Rhaegar is awesome?
    He seems to have had rather poor communication skills, though, given how he handled the whole Lyanna affair.

Maybe.

Also, this is a bad ass video.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    the T-1000 Waif chase scene
    I almost spilled my coke laughing.

Am I the only one that thinks Rhaegar is awesome?
    I'm a pretty big fan, at least for now and assuming the theory that he and Lyanna loved each other holds up. I like a lot of what we've heard about his personality, his love of music, and his visits to Valyria.
    Last edited by Dragus; June 30, 2016 at 07:09 PM.

Last edited by tgoodenow; July 01, 2016 at 12:12 AM.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Rhaegar was cool. I hope they pick someone beautiful yet seemingly capable as well. Because thats how I picture Rhaegar. something like this:

Someone on Reddit had an awesome suggestion: instead of brass knuckles, the Hound should be given Valyrian steel and/or dragonglass knuckles to punch and shatter the crap out of White Walkers.

Also, this is a gif that has to be shared:

And since this is probably my last post in this thread for about a year, I think this is the perfect segue before posts appear for the next season:

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

And since this is probably my last post in this thread for about a year,
    Well I hope, finally the novel Winds of Winter will get published before season 10 begins.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

From my cold, dead hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    From my cold, dead hands!
    No problem with, just gimme the books