Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Senator

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

@Kyriakos: indeed.

If one sees the aftermath, everything would have been better kf dany hadn't heard on Jon in the beginning of season 7, if she just had marched on kings landing directly.
    - kings landing burnt down like it is now.
    - all dragons alive
    - dothraki and unsullied full strength
    - friends alive.
    - night king still north of the wall, because no dragon to meld the wall.

Simple as that, Jon is to blame.... Just don't listen to the advice of someone who knows nothing.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Madness? This is Targa!
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What a wasted opportunity. The show had some great character arks, all wasted because D&D were in haste to finish the show a couple of seasons earlier. Until one and a half episode earlier Danny was one of the good guys and now she became evil. Jaime decided to die with the only woman he ever loved but the end is pathetic. Tyrion betrays Varys, the man who saved him earlier. Jon Snow again is nowhere while Arya is more difficult to die than the Night King. The writing was sometimes awfull. Only the visuals were great. Lets hope that the ending will inspire RR Martin to finish its books in a proper way

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

That last episode tells us that Dany has inherited the madness that runs in the family, I have a feeling she will be deposed.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    That last episode tells us that Dany has inherited the madness that runs in the family, I have a feeling she will be deposed.
    Yeah but it must happen fast because there is only one episode left

This show definitely feels rushed, and unsatisfying. It needed more than this last season. Honestly, really disappointed. Good visuals though.

Not that i think GRRM will write more books in this series, but it is rather obvious he told D&D that Dany burns KL. That isn't the kind of "subversion" D&D do. For D&D subversion look at Greyworm (who apparently now has no issue starring down Jon Snow, who actually is a lord unlike GW) going berserk (aren't unsullied tame? i mean tame despite being tame awesome warriors tame ) and magical ballistae not being that magical anymore.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    I’m not even sure it’s a genetic madness. It’s a madness of isolation. Sure you see small bits and pieces from beginning to end ranging from her reaction to her brothers death to the way she crucified 160 random masters including ones that tried to stop what was being done. She could have investigated and figured out who. But as the series goes on you see her with people she trusts, well and truly trusts. Mormont, Selmy, Grey Worm, Missandei, Daario. She never seems to have trusted Tyrion the same as while he’s trying to guide her in a unique field of politics than she’s used to she’s immediately suspicious. She lets Tyrion convince her to leave Daario behind. Selmy dies. Mormont dies. Missandei dies. She tries to trust Jon but she can’t grasp his “my family gets to know” philosophy after living 16 years with THAT brother she had and then ruling cities through fear but managing to gather up just a number of friends to say you are not alone. Fear is all she knows. And Grey Worm is all that she has left. And he’s in just as much of a rage as she is.

She basically and literally went to the dark side and there is nobody she trusts interested in pulling her back.
    Last edited by Gaidin; May 13, 2019 at 02:12 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Episode, littered with the same meh scenes like Jamie's showdown with Euron, I'd have been glad to see Euron burnt to a crisp on his ship. Not sure of the significance of the Arya/white horse, if there even was any. Feels like there is more story to tell than will shoe horn into the last 80 minutes, ie: who was Varys writing to...

On the other hand. This was a the most savage episode of the whole series. I'm not sure of Dany's motivation for such a slaughter, I could understand if she'd flown to the Red Keep and scorched that, but the rest of the city, that seemed too far out of character. I did enjoy the chaos and the split between Arya running and Sandor fighting his brother...

The show has also slipped into things unsaid having devastating consequences, Varys doesn't have a chance to explain himself, Jon doesn't talk to Dany, Dany burns a city... I hate that crap.

Still waiting to the end to decide if the show lost too much without Martin as a source, or it just became something else.

Still a spectacular episode..

Surprised no one here mentioned Jamie's hand growing back, you lot are slipping..

Isn't Row your boat Gendry next in line after Jon?
    Maybe in a classic D&D subversion you get Gendry marrying Arya after all.

See Halie, we watched the entire show.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

It is also a bit strange that fire melts stone walls. Pretty sure it couldn't reach 1200 degrees and even if it would the wall wouldn't just crumble like it was small sticks in a fireplace.
    The red keep, in particular, had towers that were cut as if by laser.

Sorry, i meant "laser"

By the way, apparently the leaked plots were correct for ep4 and ep5. Let's see if it is so for ep6 too.

(not putting the video in a spoiler cause if you don't want to listen to it you don't have to click )

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

@Kyriakos: dragon fire shouldn't melt stone, but perhaps the sheer force of it causes enough pressure that the they just got blown away, or the mortar in between the stones/bricks melted away and caused structural instability? Eh, no need to think about it too much, because D&D certainly haven't!

I almost feel bad for the diehard fans of the show who foolishly named their daughters "Khaleesi" or "Daenerys" instead of "Arya", basically after a genocidal maniac. It's like naming your son "Slobodan Milosevic" at this point. Then again, they deserve it for naming their own kids after TV show characters.

Here's What People Who Named Their Baby "Khaleesi" Think Of Last Night's Episode
    Last year, 560 female babies were named Khaleesi, making it the 549th most popular name for girls in the US.

At least we got to know that all this time the Mountain looked like Varys

The first meme posted on imgur btw:

like seriously...gave it to the friends at 10:48...

-Neil deGrasse Tyson

My favorite part of this season has been watching the viewers pitch a six week long tantrum. It reminds me of the irrationality that bubbles out of an ugly divorce/breakup and I wonder if it’s the same psychological reaction. I’m genuinely amazed that any/all of the plot holes, “lazy writing”, or generally slow episodes of the last seven seasons are completely ignored and the final six episodes are now solely responsible for “ruining the entire show” for so many.

I’m starting to wonder if the only reason I think this season has been an overall success is because I was an avid 24 fan - I’m just glad there are’t dozens of unresolved plot lines.

The reality of it all is that the first three books are fantastic, books 4 and 5 are a dramatic fall-off that you can read assuming you can hook onto a character in terms of pacing and quality.

This is reflected in the show, which goes from taking four seasons to put up three books, to romping through two books in season 5.

Yup. There you go.

The show has been on rocky ground since season 5. That hasn't stopped me from liking it. I don't care what Knights of Heaven says. I will shamelessly like it. I might even say it's good. I'll give a few points in any given episode, as I have. But that's certainly only given it few a episodes of greatness. Hardhome. The Door. Winds of Winter. Possibly The Spoils of War. These obscure the narrative shakiness. They help people like it, they don't stop people from hating or liking it. Somehow the people hating it keep watching it.

Season 8 seems in keeping with what's coming the past few seasons and the past few books.
    Last edited by Gaidin; May 13, 2019 at 08:10 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    My favorite part of this season has been watching the viewers pitch a six week long tantrum. It reminds me of the irrationality that bubbles out of an ugly divorce/breakup and I wonder if it’s the same psychological reaction. I’m genuinely amazed that any/all of the plot holes, “lazy writing”, or generally slow episodes of the last seven seasons are completely ignored and the final six episodes are now solely responsible for “ruining the entire show” for so many..
    I mean but the plot holes are so glaring at this point.

Why didn't Cersei just kill Danerys when she was in front of the castle and she had 10 ballista + her entire army and the entire golden people there vs 100 unsullied?

Why did Danerys leave her most beloved advisor to get captured/multiple ships of unsullied to die when she could've scorched the entire fleet that was attacking her?

Most importantly: Why even have the last six seasons if Danerys could've flown to kings landing and surprise attack wrecked it with THREE dragons when she defeated two armies + entire fleet + entire garrison all at full readiness with ONE?

Why wouldn’t Cersei just kill Dany? Because even now a truce flag is a thing.
    Last edited by Gaidin; May 13, 2019 at 10:58 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    I mean but the plot holes are so glaring at this point.

Why didn't Cersei just kill Danerys when she was in front of the castle and she had 10 ballista + her entire army and the entire golden people there vs 100 unsullied?

Why did Danerys leave her most beloved advisor to get captured/multiple ships of unsullied to die when she could've scorched the entire fleet that was attacking her?

Most importantly: Why even have the last six seasons if Danerys could've flown to kings landing and surprise attack wrecked it with THREE dragons when she defeated two armies + entire fleet + entire garrison all at full readiness with ONE?
    True! She literally didn't need anything but ONE dragon. She could have wiped out Cersei at anytime she wanted. The northern armies and what was left of her army - which was apparently a gigantic amount - weren't needed at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    It is also a bit strange that fire melts stone walls. Pretty sure it couldn't reach 1200 degrees and even if it would the wall wouldn't just crumble like it was small sticks in a fireplace.
    The red keep, in particular, had towers that were cut as if by laser.

Sorry, i meant "laser"
    The dragon was like an orbital laser, it was crazy!
    Last edited by SturmChurro; May 14, 2019 at 02:53 AM.