Thread: Martial Arts: Traditional vs The New and The New Views on The Traditional - commentary

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Martial Arts: Traditional vs The New and The New Views on The Traditional - commentary

Finally some new debate; I guess the flame in Mudpit about Europe and Muslims caught most of us' attention so no time for a new debate?

Anyway, it is an interesting topic; I have practiced Kendo and fencing before and know a lot of people who practice other types of martial art, and all I can say about my experience is only sabre fencing is still "close" to reality in my opinion (well, you probably can count epee too, since that is a damned heavy sword and a very realistic target area). The closest "realistic" duel I had watched before is two seniors of my fencing club once practicing rapier fencing and it was very interesting to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Default Re: Martial Arts: Traditional vs The New and The New Views on The Traditional - commentary

As I see it the point about Krav Maga not being a "martial art" because of dirty moves is a self-defeating one: prohibiting "un-sportsmanlike" techniques in a martial arts school is the first step towards turning it into a ritualized sport, which is precisely what the OP disapproves of. IMO the "real", non-sports Martial Arts should be about efficiency only, i.e. effectively defeating your enemy in the easiest possible way while receiving as little damage as possible yourself. Fighting for your life is not a sport even if some individuals get a perverse thrill out of it.

Interestingly, the core Olympic disciplines started out as para-military training themselves.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Martial Arts: Traditional vs The New and The New Views on The Traditional - commentary

I don't mind the sportmanship part of martial art, but what I am tired about is the lie most martial art practicers like to feed up others - "Through the practice of martial art you can understand the philosophy of a warrior!!!" this sore of lie, and there are some martial art promote this lie heavily, if not even adopt it as a core of their thinking (like Kendo; half of time my club members constantly stress this point during practice, make me want to punch them in the face).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Necromancer hasn't been online for a while now, I understand he has some RL stuff going on. I'm sure he'll continue when he's next online.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."