Thread: Some Gaming Must-knows

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Default Some Gaming Must-knows

This is a list of must knows when you own Empire Total War and want to use some mods.

They aren't hard things to do but can sometimes really ease your life

Minas Moth
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Installing Empire from DVD instead of Steam

Mac Users:
    If you are using a Mac, you will not be able to install from the disc. Please double-click on the game in your Library list to begin downloading and installing the software.

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

1. Log in to Steam and click on Library.
    2. Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
    3. Insert the first disc into your computer.
    4. Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
    5. Press Windows Key + R to open Run
    6. In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
      Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
    7. Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Note:
    This process is only intended for retail store bought copies of Steam games (ie. Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2). It will not work for backup discs of any Steam games

Verify your files via Steam

1. Log in to Steam
    2. Go to Library > Games
    3. Right click on desired games shortcut
    4. Select Properties
    5. Click Local Files Tab
    6. Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache
    7. Wait until Steam finishes validation
    8. If necessary Steam will download some files

How to disable User Account Control on Windows7
    Method 1: Disable or Turn Off UAC (User Account Control) in Control Panel

1. To user Control Panel to disable UAC in Windows 7, there are several methods to access the User Account Control settings page:
      1. Go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Account.
      2. Go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> System and Security -> Action Center.
      3. Click or right click on Flag icon in notification area (system tray), and then Open Action Center.
      4. Type “MsConfig” in Start Search to start System Configuration, then go to Tools tab, select Change UAC Settings, then click on Launch button.

Click on User Account Control settings link.

1. Slide the slider bar to the lowest value (towards Never Notify), with description showing Never notify.

1. Click OK to make the change effective.
    2. Restart the computer to turn off User Access Control.

Method 2: Disable UAC with Registry Editor (RegEdit)

1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit).
    2. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    3. Locate the following REG_DWORD value: EnableLUA
    4. Set the value of EnableLUA to 0.
    5. Optional step to suppress UAC consent prompt dialog, locate the following REG_DWORD value: ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin
    6. Set the value of ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0 (optional).
    7. Exit from Registry Editor and restart the computer to turn off UAC.

Method 3: Turn Off UAC Using Group Policy
    For Windows 7 Ultimate, Business or Enterprise edition which has Local Group Policy, or computer joined to domain and has Active Directory-based GPO, the group policy can be used to disable UAC for local computer or many computer across large networks at once.

1. Enter GPedit.msc in Start Search to run Local Group Policy editor. (Or gpmc.msc to run Group Policy Management Console for AD-based domain GPO editor).
    2. Navigate to the following tree branch: Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
      In GPMC, browse to the required GPO which is linked to the domain or OU where the policy wants to apply.
    3. Locate the following policy in the right pane: User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode
      Set its value to Elevate without prompt.
    4. Locate the following policy in the right pane: User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation
      Set its value to Disabled.
    5. Locate the following policy in the right pane: User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode
    6. Locate the following policy in the right pane: User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations
    7. Restart the computer when done.

Method 4: Using Command Prompt to Disable User Account Control
    The command line option can also be used in batch script command file, i.e. .bat and .cmd files, providing greater convenient to advanced technical user. In actual, the commands,, which are also used to disable or enable UAC in Vista, are just doing the same thing as directly modifying the registry.

1. Open an elevated command prompt as administrator.
    2. To disable the UAC, run the following commands: %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
      and optionally, the following comand to suppress all elevation consent request and notification:
      %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
      Tip: To re-enable UAC, the command is:
      %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
      and to turn on prompt for consent UI:
      %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

!Warning!
    Disabling UAC may cause gadget not working in Windows 7. User who facing the issue can use another workaround to suppress User Account Control.

How to take control of a File
    1. In Windows Explorer window, locate the files or folders that you want to take ownership and grant or change full control or other access permissions.
    2. Right click on the file or directory, and then select Properties on the right click menu.

3. Click on Security tab.
    4. Click on Advanced button at the bottom.

5. In “Advanced Security Settings” dialog window, click on Owner tab.
    6. Here you will be able to see current owner (i.e. TrustedInstaller). To take ownership of the object, click on the Edit button. If UAC prompts for administrator’s password or permission to continue, enter the correct password or press Continue button.

7. Additional “Advanced Security Settings” dialog will appear. Highlight the user name (for example, Administrators) in the Change owner to box that you want to assign as the owner for the object. Click OK to make the change.

8. Back in original parent level “Advanced Security Settings” window, you will see the existing owner of the file or folder has changed to the user you just selected.
    9. Click OK button to exit this window.
    10. Click OK again to exit completely from the Properties window.
    11. The ownership is now belonged to user or user account that been selected. To assign necessary permissions to the user too, repeat step 1 to 3 to open the object’s Properties window again.
    12. In object’s Properties window, click on Edit button to change permissions. If UAC prompts for administrator’s password or permission to continue, enter the correct password or press Continue button.

13. Highlight the Administrators or the user who wants the permissions on the object be changed in the “Group or user names” box.
    If the user ID or group that you want to manage the permissions for the object doesn’t exist, click on Add button, and type in the user name or group name desired into the Enter object names to select box, and finish off by clicking on OK.
    14. In the Permissions for Administrators box below (or any other user name or group name you chose), click on “Full Control” under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions to Administrators group.

15. Click “OK” twice when done.

Trailhog's Technical Guide
    This is a link to a possible performance increase guide by my friend Trailhog. This guide could help you to achieve better FPS and smoother game. However, note that it isn't a fool proof and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Also, you are using that guide and the products listed in it on your own risk. We can't be held responsible for any potential problems that could occur on your machine.

regards

Trailhog's Boost-Performance Guide

Limited Token Issue
    If by any chance your ACW_log.txt has the following line:
    Code:
    Registered owner: OWNER, Is admin? True, Has limited token? True
    then you have to do one of the following:
    Token Elevation Type indicates the type of token that was assigned to the new process in accordance with User Account Control policy.

• Type 1 is a full token with no privileges removed or groups disabled. A full token is only used if User Account Control is disabled or if the user is the built-in Administrator account or a service account.

• Type 2 is an elevated token with no privileges removed or groups disabled. An elevated token is used when User Account Control is enabled and the user chooses to start the program using Run as administrator. An elevated token is also used when an application is configured to always require administrative privilege or to always require maximum privilege, and the user is a member of the Administrators group.

• Type 3 is a limited token with administrative privileges removed and administrative groups disabled. The limited token is used when User Account Control is enabled, the application does not require administrative privilege, and the user does not choose to start the program using Run as administrator

Last edited by Minas Moth; June 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Default Re: Some Gaming Must-knows

I find it pathetic ............ I am runing 12 GIG of memory and also over 900 GIG on two hard drives. I Have a NVIDEO (graphics card) that pulls about $350. I am Running Windows 7 and everything works...... When I say everything I mean everything. Microsoft Flight Sim X - WORKS
    X-Plane 10 - Works
    Fallout 3 - Works
    Fallout New Vegas - Works

The long and short of it is================== why does Blue and Gray crash my Machine

I am mad at myself AND not you
    ry
    I think you all are doing backyard MOD-ifications and I am wondering why the EMPIRE----------------Series------------has not concontrated on the Biggest and Costliest war in American History. I WILL HOPE SEGA WILL DO A FAITHFUL RECREATION OF THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR.................I DO NOT LIKE MOD'S ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DO NOT WORK.

With Great Respect,
    redsteahl@hotmail.com

the most expensive and the most modern machine (components) doesn't necessarily mean that games will work... there are several aspects to take into consideration:
    1) drivers need to be up to date - however, in some cases newer drivers can cause some problems with certain games and then you have to wait for release of new drivers or retain the old ones
    2) older games don't take a full advantage of modern hardware. that is a full known fact. that's why medieval2tw runs better on a 3.0 GHz single processor then on 2.0 dual core one
    3) there is a fact that your engine may be running way too much applications in the background (I personally have everything shot down when I'm gaming)
    4) my entire PC cost around 600$ and I didn't have a single memory crash since I bought it a year and a half ago. I can run Darthmod with full settings on ultra unit size without any problem
    5) also, no matter how good your machine is, it is always good to lower some graphics settings (or to shot down all that vertical synchronization and stuff); it puts unnecessary stress on your machine

yes, we are doing what you call "backyard modifications" because:
    a) no one pays us to actually do the job
    b) we do it 'cause we like to do it
    c) our greatest wish would be if everybody could play this mod without a problem
    however, I find it less tragic when you can't make a mod to work then when buying a brand new game you pay 50$ or more and then find out it is either not working or is extremely lame...

there are few other tricks that could help you if you are interested...

first post updated with a performance guide that could help you when playing ETW.

regards