Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Sub Mod] - African Modification

Default [Sub Mod] - African Modification

UPDATE...Version 5

Download -->http://www.gamefront.com/files/23159996/ftwIIIafricaV5.zip

This is MansaSakura's Sub-mod (Version 5) for Falcom TW 3 version 1.4!

SPECIAL THANKS
    Big shout out to Falcom for bringing us this fantastic mod!
    Big shout out to Enguerrand, Sinople and MundusBellicus.fr for help on the unit info cards.
    Big shout out to the Regions and Provinces mod (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?356-Regions-amp-Provinces-Mod) creators for allowing me to use their strat models and textures!

WHAT HAPPENED TO VERSION 3?
    I loved this mod so much that I decided to do a version 3 that made Zimbabwe more complete in my humble opinion.
    I fixed some buttom issues in the menu and made units that relied on leather shields only recruitable with the leather tanner or above
    I also modified the value of resources to better reflect the income they would bring.
    I never released it cuz as soon as I was done, I started working on Version 4
    We all know about the crashes in this mod, but it is still the best global mod out there.
    To deal with this, I shortened the mod to 300 years so we can get to some events a bit quicker and before we are hit with all the crashes.
    You still get some, but I find they don't pop up nearly as much for the African factions as before.

WHAT HAPPENED TO VERSION 4?
    I made version 4 because I got a new computer and was able to see just how cool Falcom's African units for Zimbabwe really were.
    I tried to restore as much of Falcom's original concept art while adding my limited expertise to historical accuracy to names
    I also went over the unit stengths and defensive capabilities with a fine toothed comb to make sure the African units were no stronger or weaker than they should be
    I also made unit_info cards for the African units that were missing them
    Also, I'm tired of waiting for gunpowder, so now you can recruit gunpowder units as soon as you have the buildings for them.
    It still takes a while, but its quicker and more fun than waiting for gunpowder to get discovered.

WHY 5?
    Comparing Falcom's amazing work on his African units with my own notes, it appears that just about all of Mali's units are in fact Kanem-Bornu units.
    That being said, I decided to replace Mali with Kanem. Nobody is a bigger fan of Mali than me, but I'm a teacher first and a gamer second.
    I figure if I can help educate people in a fun way, why not. These games provide an excellent way to showcase an interesting part of history.
    I also radically changed the strat models for Zimbabwe and Mali. No more Native American/Middle Eastern textures!

Once again, this mod does not affect non-African factions (I tweaked Egypt and the Moors a little this time).
    This mod makes fighting in Africa more challening and fun.
    Please leave feedback on the Africa Sub-mod forum once you've tried this...

REQUIREMENTS...Falcom TW 3 version 1.4 (won't work for version 1.3)

INSTALLATION...
    1-Unzip the download to desktop
    2-Copy the folder "FalcomTW3" inside the "Install" folder to the "Mods" folder inside of "Medieval II"
    3-Allow them to merge. Replace anything it asks you to.
    *-YOU MAY HAVE TO DELETE THE Map.rwm file located in Falcomtw3 --> data --> world --> maps --> base
    Your done!

UNINSTALLATION...
    1-Copy the folder "FalcomTW3" inside the "Uninstall" folder to your "Mods" folder inside of "Medieval II"
    2-Allow them to merge. Replace anything it asks you to.
    Your done!

Version 5 Update List...
    *CAMPAIGN CHANGES*
    -Changed the start time of the campaign from 1080 to 1220
    -Gunpowder units available from the start

*MALI CHANGES*
    -Replaced Mali with Kanem faction and gave it a roster consisting of Desert, Arab and Sudanese units
    -Put back in the Kanem flag from version 1 of this mod
    -Changed the Desert skin for for Mali's Tuareg-like units (Desert Archers, Desert Cavalry) to all blue headgear and african faces
    -Changed Strat Model for Mali/Kanem Islamic General to the awesome Desert General strat from Regions & Provinces
    -Changed Mali/Kanem Islamic General Battle Model to Tuareg-style desert warrior
    -Changed texture for Mali/Kanem Islamic Captain to the darker texture from Regions & Provinces
    -Capital at Njima from start
    -No early siege units (ballistas, catapults and trebuchets) to make it more historically accurate
    -ME gunners and Sudanese gunners are buildable and recruitable
    -No Tuareg units since they were always enemies and never allies of the Kanem Empire
    -Mali Nobles/Kanuri Knights recruitable and buildable (still throw javelins)
    -Dismounted Mali Nobles/Dismounted Kanuri Knights recruitable and buildable
    -Cannibals/Sao Axmen recruitable and buildable with Caravan
    -Vougiar Paysan Mali/Kanembu Spearmen recruitable and buildable
    -Chevaliers Zarma/Baguirmi Lancers recruitable and buildable with Leather Tanner building
    -Arab Cavalry recruitable and buildable
    -Dismounted Arab Cavalry recruitable and buildable
    -Disounted Fulbe Knights recruitable and buildable
    -Sudanese Tribesmen/Peasants recruitable and buildable

*ZIMBABWE CHANGES*
    -Replaced Zimbabwe Indian Captain with Desert Captain from Region & Provinces Mod
    -Replaced Zimbabwe Indian General battle model with Nubian Spearmen battle model
    -Replaced Zimbabwe Indian Captain battle model with Sudanese Tribesmen battle model

*MOOR CHANGES*
    -Moors can recruit Bambara Archers
    -Moors can recruit Dismounted Fulbe Knights

Version 4 Update Lists...
    Moor Updates
    -Made Berber Spearmen only recruitabe by Moors
    -Made Lamtuna Spearmen only recruitbale by Moors
    -Made Camel Gunners only recruitabe by Moors and only with the Caravan building
    -Tuareg Camel Spearmens recruitable and only with the Caravan building
    -Dismounted Tuareg recruitable and only with the Caravan building
    -Blacksmith upgrades melee weapons
    -Can recruit Sudanese Gunners at same time as Middle Eastern Hand Gunner

Mali Updates
    -Fixed starting province so that Niani has the right building and can upgrade normally
    -Restored Falcom's faction icon and banners
    -Added Falcom's faction icon as a button for Mali
    -Added unit cards and unit_info pictures for all Mali Units
    -Vougier Paysan Mali are now Kanembu Spearmen since that is what they are modeled off of and are a mercenary unit recruitable in Kanem and Tripoli
    -Cannibals are now Kanembu Axmen since that is what they are modeled off of and are a mercenary unit recruitable in Kanem and Tripoli
    -Chevaliers Zarma are now Kanuri Knights since that is what they are modeled off of and are a mercenary unit recruitable in Kanem and Tripoli
    -Made Tuareg Spearmen only recruitabe by Mali and only with the Caravan building
    -Made Tuareg Camel Spearmens only recruitbale by Mali and only with the Caravansry
    -Advanced barracks give experience upgrades
    -Can recruit Middle Eastern Hand Gunner at the same time as everyone else
    -Sudanese Tribesmen are now Peasants for Mali
    -Mali Nobles throw javelins now like the Desert Cavalry (more historical accuracy)
    -Bambara Warriors can only hide in forest now

Zimbabwe Updates
    -Added Falcom's faction icon as a button for Zimbabwe in menu
    -Zimbabwe can build castles
    -Zimbabwe can build caravan and caravansry buildings
    -All Zimbabwe units including bodyguard have a unit card and unit_info picture
    -Zimbabwe can recruit specific shield units from leather tanner
    -Zimbabwe can recruit specific shield units from blacksmith
    -Advanced barracks and smiths give experience upgrades
    -Zimbabwe Tribesmen are now Peasants for Zimbabwe (zulu looking unit with different color shields)
    -Zimbabwe Javlinmen are now African Scouts (zulu looking unit with all black shields and javelins; now can hide anywhere)
    -Zimbabwe Spearmen are Nyai Spearmen (zulu looking unit with all white shields)
    -Zimbabwe Nobles are now African Axmen (modified Indian unit fights in horde formation and now terrifies ground troops)
    -Zimbabwe Bodyguard are basically the same (modified Indian unit) but fight in line formation
    -Zimbabwe can recruit Middle Eastern Bombarbs

Map Updates
    -Made mercenaries and rebels region specific
    -Added Rogue units not buildable by any faction (Kanuri Knights, Kanembu Spearmen, Kanembu Axmen, Nubian Archers, Nubian Spearmen)
    -Added Cultural units buildable by specific factions and recruitable in specific regions (sudanese, desert, tuareg, arab)
    -Massive editing of the Descr_strat file so that the African rebel settlements have more diversity and are tougher to capture
    -Changed the AI setting for Mali and Zimbabwe to reflect their unit roster a bit better

Enjoy!

Let me know what you think on this sub mod forum
    Let me know what you think of this and if you'd like to incorporate any of these changes into the next update. CHEERS
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 05, 2015 at 03:02 AM. Reason: moved, title adjustment

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

Default Re: African Modification

nice!
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Got a download link?

In the 1.4 there will be new units for zimbabwe.

I personally prefer Zimbabwe over Swahilis, because they are pagan and more "south african"

I can make a download link if it's okay with falcom4ever. It's his baby, and I don't want to disrespect his mod.

I can't wait for 1.4!!! Yeah I think it would be better to have Zimbabwe so that there is another power in southern Africa. Do you have any info on their military? It was really hard for me to find anything on Kilwa and the Swahili. Oh and are you gonna include your awesome Mali Empire units in the 1.4? Maybe use the historical flag? I can give you a link to the one I included on my sub-mod. I've got the buttons, banners, standards and everything done.

Quote Originally Posted by MansaSakura View Post
    I can make a download link if it's okay with falcom4ever. It's his baby, and I don't want to disrespect his mod.

I can't wait for 1.4!!! Yeah I think it would be better to have Zimbabwe so that there is another power in southern Africa. Do you have any info on their military? It was really hard for me to find anything on Kilwa and the Swahili. Oh and are you gonna include your awesome Mali Empire units in the 1.4? Maybe use the historical flag? I can give you a link to the one I included on my sub-mod. I've got the buttons, banners, standards and everything done.
    Mali units were for ftw2, but the mod is in progress with another team. The problem is that it is a mess and I do not have any file.

The Zimba come from another kingdom in south africa that existed before 1200 so I believe they share the same military similarities.

For the flag I like the tribal one so I am not sure to include it honestly but I will think about it whipe I am on Japan.

For your submod I will ask for a sub forum for your minimod. You will be able do make a deeper modification of Africa and do the support for your mod. You can even thing taking out ryukyu and manchu for two more african factions.

I only ask you to mod only africa and wait for the 1.4. Then you will be able to enjoy new zimba units. And we will see maybe some modifications can be incule in the main mod we will discuss more when I come back arround the 19th

Cool. And thanks for being so supportive Falcom!

I looked up some info on the Zimba. Apparently they migrated out of Central Africa as a breakaway group from the larger Lunda (another Bantu ethnicity). They were roaving warriors very similar to the Imbangala (whom also broke away from the Lunda homeland). They travelled, pillage, ate and repeat (in that order, lol). I'm an Africanist in my spare time and am quick to point out when European history has slandered a people...This ain't one of those times. Everyone claims the Zimba (later know as the Maravi) were cannibals. Seeing as how they are related to the Imbangala, that shouldn't be a big suprise. Anyhow, the Zimba migrated down to Zimbabwe from north of the Zambezi, so they are not a native culture. I wouldn't be too quick to assume they have similar military cultures.

Instead, if you want to get an idea about Zimbabwe's miltiary culture, you have to look at Portuguese accounts of the Mutapa Empire (also known as Monomotapa or Mwenemutapa) which was founded by a conquering prince from the Zimbabwe kingdom in 1430. The Portuguese say the Mutapa armies were composed mostly of spearmen. They also used archers but they aren't mentioned nearly as much as the spearmen. The elites walked around with swords or local manufacture (iron) and probably went to battle with them (as opposed to the Benin Empire which mainly used swords as ceremonial symbols).

After doing some looking up on my previous research on Zimbabwe, I think its okay to have them there afterall. While the Zimbabwe kingdom wasn't founded until like 1220, (your mod 1080 if I recall), the people who founded the Great Zimbabwe structure have been there since 1075. They were a proto-Shona ethinicity (the people who live in Zimbabwe today are just called Shona). There was another state before Zimbabwe which inhabited basically the same area called Mapungubwe. Mapungubwe is to Zimbabwe what Ghana is to Mali. Mapungubwe was the first proto-Shona state and they built in stone (that's where the Zimbabwe kingdom got the technique from). Little is know about them except that they were the first people in southen Africa to make a complex state. They existed 1075-1220. They abandoned Mapungubwe after the site became to crowded for the larger Zimbabwe complex. Mupungubwe, Zimbabwe and Mutapa are a continuous evolution of Proto-Shona states.

If I can replace the Ryuku and Manchu with two more African factions, that would make Africa far more competitive. So I'm thinking...Keep Mali, Keep Zimbabwe, Add Kilwa, and Add Kanem (another muslim African faction). I was thinking maybe add Ethiopia, but there is nowhere historically for them to expand. Kanem, on the other hand, historically stretches from Njima all the way to Tripoli. And unlike Mali, they actually used gunpowder in the 16th century (they imported firearms and advisors from the ottomans in like the 1530s).

After doing some looking up on my previous research on Zimbabwe, I think its okay to have them there afterall. While the Zimbabwe kingdom wasn't founded until like 1220, (your mod 1080 if I recall), the people who founded the Great Zimbabwe structure have been there since 1075
    Good work! I guess in that context it makes sense to start with only the one castle as that faction.

If I can replace the Ryuku and Manchu with two more African factions, that would make Africa far more competitive. So I'm thinking...Keep Mali, Keep Zimbabwe, Add Kilwa, and Add Kanem (another muslim African faction). I was thinking maybe add Ethiopia, but there is nowhere historically for them to expand. Kanem, on the other hand, historically stretches from Njima all the way to Tripoli. And unlike Mali, they actually used gunpowder in the 16th century (they imported firearms and advisors from the ottomans in like the 1530s).
    I am in favor of there being at least one more faction in Africa. If someone had to go I'd say it ought to be the Manchu since they do not really have anywhere to expand to, do not seem to do much and are likely to get eliminated by the Mongols anyway (historically the Mongols dominated them for centuries as I recall). Ryukyu is in a better position to make the campaign interesting still compared to the Manchu, and they offer a nice early challenge for Japan. Mixed feelings I guess.
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

I think if Mansa wants to make a more deep african mod 2 more factions at least might be good. This mod would be by people who wants a challenging african experience.

As for jurchen/manju I have to disagree that they expanded nothing as they conquered half of China and later comquered all China :0)... But I guess if the players play african factions they will take some time before meeting an asian faction.

For possible african factions I am not an expert, but on my researchs I considered :
    Swahili City states
    Ethiopia
    Kanem
    Songhai
    Kongo (even I think they come later)

I saw the other day on tv something of mapunge and zimbabwe, but data are not clear and researchs seem recent. But gold seem to have been the motor of this nation.

Quote Originally Posted by falcom4ever View Post
    I think if Mansa wants to make a more deep african mod 2 more factions at least might be good. This mod would be by people who wants a challenging african experience.

As for jurchen/manju I have to disagree that they expanded nothing as they conquered half of China and later comquered all China :0)... But I guess if the players play african factions they will take some time before meeting an asian faction.

For possible african factions I am not an expert, but on my researchs I considered :
    Swahili City states
    Ethiopia
    Kanem
    Songhai
    Kongo (even I think they come later)

I saw the other day on tv something of mapunge and zimbabwe, but data are not clear and researchs seem recent. But gold seem to have been the motor of this nation.
    Hey do you remember what the name of the thing you saw on tv? I guess I can be your Africa expert if you need one.

So for the submod..
    Mali (gotta keep them, they were Africa's greatest Medieval power by wealth alone)
    Kanem-Bornu
    Kilwa
    Zimbabwe

They talk also about kilwa :
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd2...babwe-1_webcam

But it is in french

Oh and might have good news. Maybe some units from FTW2M avaliable MZ wrote to me few hours ago with a download link. I will have a look when I go home in 10days

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Oh and might have good news. Maybe some units from FTW2: DM avaliable MZ wrote to me few hours ago with a download link. I will have a look when I go home in 10days
    fingers crossed here

Hey I started working on my little submod again and replaced Great Zimbabwe with Kanem Empire (based in Njimi). Anyhow, I got everything about how I want it but have run into a problem with the campaign_Description. When i go to the faction selection screen there is no description for Kanem (Great Zimbabwe). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mod, but I keep getting the same result! I'm at my wits end. Is there some file preventing changes from taking place. Thanks in advance...

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

i think you have to delete the .strings/.bin file with the same name in the same folder. the game will remake it from the txt file you edited.

There should be some strings.bin editor somewhere on the twcenter.

The one to edit is campaign_descr

Thanks to both of you. one more thing. ever since i uninstalled falcomtw3, i can't get the patch to the work! i uninstalled ftw3, deleted the entired folder in the mods folder, reinstalled falcomtw3 (it works) then unzipped the patch....now it CTD. I can't even get to the main screen. help

okay i figured out there is something up with the export_desc_buildings file. That seems to be the problem in the patch.

I will have the a zip file available for download within a few hours

Okay added the zip file. let me know what you think!

Can I get some feedback on the submod? What do you all think? Any problems/crashes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast