Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 6 - Creating a Simple Wallpaper

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default Lesson 6 - Creating a Simple Wallpaper

Lesson 6 - Creating a Simple Wallpaper
    Welcome to the sixth and the last official lesson, gentlemen!

Today we'll continue with the theme we took up on the previous lesson - wallpapers. However, this time we're going to create a non-abstract wallpaper (and, as you can tell by the lesson title, a simple one).

Techniques
    • Anchoring floating selections (well, you probably handle this one already)
    • Using the Move tool
    Step 1

First off I'll search for a proper image to start with. Surprisingly enough I ended up with a Thierry Henry photo one more time. Huh.

Now I'll simply paste the photo into my 1680 x 1050 image (this is a thing some of you earlier had problems with and logically enough I'm teaching this on the last lesson). I'll press Ctrl + V and then right-click the Floating Selection and select "Anchor Layer". The floating selection will always be anchored to the layer that was active when you pasted the new layer, so make sure you've chosen the right one if you have multiple layers in your image.
    Click to view content: 

Step 2

Now I'll create the effect I used on the second signature on Lesson 3 as well. First I'll duplicate the photo layer...
    Click to view content: 
    ...set the new (upper) layer to "Overlay" and apply "Softglow" on it.
    Click to view content: 

Step 3

Now the photo looks a bit too dark in my opinion, so I'll turn black to Alpha on the upper layer:
    Click to view content: 

Step 4

Now, to create the cool "pale" colour effect I'll desaturate the bottom layer. I've done this with the "Colorize" function but actually you should use the Desaturate tool for this - that way the outcome will probably be a bit different.
    Click to view content: 

Step 5

Now you'll see something very cool, although this technique would fit some other image a lot better. Anyways, I'll add a magical feeling to the wallpaper by using a spectrum gradient.

To do that we'll create a new layer, make an appropriate selection, select the "Full saturation spectrum CCW" gradient and then blend from left to right as follows:
    Click to view content: 

Step 6

Now we'll blur the spectrum (which has been put to "Overlay" layer mode as well) to make it look less awkward.
    Click to view content: 

Step 7

Finally we'll duplicate the spectrum layer to add to the effect:
    Click to view content: 
    Step 8

Now I'll create some kind of border to the wallpaper - remember, it's often the most important part of your image.

This time I've selected all (Ctrl + A) and used the Stroke Selection feature to draw a border on a new layer:
    Click to view content: 

Step 9

Now the wallpaper base is ready, but it still seriously lacks something. My idea was to add some text at the bottom right corner so, I'll create a small area where I can then put the text.

First I'll create a round selection with the Ellipse Select Tool (this could be done in a couple of other ways as well):
    Click to view content: 

Step 10

Now that you have selected the area you want just blend it with a gradient of your choice:
    Click to view content: 

Step 11

Now I'll keep the area still selected and add a white drop shadow:
    Click to view content: 

Step 12

I'll duplicate the shadow as well, and merge the shadow layers:
    Click to view content: 

Step 13

Finally I'll still strengthen the border of the "text area" (or whatever it should be called) with the "Stroke Selection" feature (notice that I have now set white to Foreground Colour):
    Click to view content: 

Step 14

Finally I'll just blur the newly created border to make it less jagged.
    Click to view content: 
    Step 15

Now that the "text area" is ready we'll add the text itself. Let's start with "Henry" (again, note that the text is automatically put on a layer of its own):
    Click to view content: 
    Step 16

Now I'll select the "Move" tool and move the text layer near the image border (seven pixels left and seven pixels up to be accurate).
    Click to view content: 
    Step 17

Now I'll add the player's first name. For stylistic reasons I decreased the font size:
    Click to view content: 

Step 18

Because I have quite many layers I'll merge the text layers as well (I should've done this with the spectrum layers, too, but I didn't).
    Click to view content: 

Step 19

Now that the text layers have been merged I'll select the text (or Alpha).
    Click to view content: 

Step 20

As always, I'll add a drop shadow behind the text to make it bolder and better-looking:
    Click to view content: 

Step 21

Now we'll decrease the opacity of the text to 70 % (see the layer menu) because we don't want it to be too dominant.
    Click to view content: 

Step 22

Now I'll search Arsenal logo on the web and put it next to the text:
    Click to view content: 

Step 23

At this point I got the idea of adding Henry's shirt number to the bottom right corner as well, so, erm, I added it there.
    Click to view content: 

Step 24

I thought to use the "shadow text" (Lesson 4) technique on the shirt number, so I turn the number layer invisible and select Alpha:
    Click to view content: 

Step 25

Now in order to make "shadow text" we'll naturally need to add the shadow, so we'll go for it.
    Click to view content: 

Step 26

As the very final touch I'll, one more time, add a shadow area near the image borders. Just like on Lesson 5 I'll do that with a radial gradient (and again, make sure you've checked the "Reverse" box next to the two-headed arrow in the Toolbox, as well as set the gradient shape to "Radial", naturally).
    Click to view content: 
    At this point you should have something like this:
    Click to view content: 
    Here's the wallpaper in full resolution:
    Click to view content: 

And... You have now read the last lesson of the GIMP Basics Course II! It is likely that I'll still arrange an optional lesson for those who are interested, but once you've completed this lesson you have completed the whole course unless you haven't passed all of the previous lessons yet.

Final Exam
    Despite its formal-sounding name this "Final Exam" is basically pretty much equal to the ordinary homework. However, don't forget that here you have a great chance to show what you've learned during the course!

Especially since I've seen your excellent artworks on Lesson 5 I believe you'll now be successful at creating your very own wallpaper. You can do anything - what I did above was just an example of what kinds of things you could do. Remember, your imagination is the only limit to what you can create if you try hard enough.

Tips

• Again, make your wallpaper big enough
    • Don't limit yourself to the techniques I've taught on this lesson - recall all the numerous things you've learned. Use brushes, textures, renders, gradients, patterns or whatever you ever need in order to create an excellent wallpaper
    • On this lesson even more than others, use your imagination! Making wallpapers is creative work which requires a lot of thinking
    • Don't hesitate to give your everything, as only this one mission stands between you and your shiny badge...

Final Exam passed
    Last edited by Goofy; July 04, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lesson 6 - Creating a Simple Wallpaper

Time to think of a background.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

HELP

What happened from step 6 to step 7? The colours which were looking a bit akward and uptight, suddenly loosened in step 7 and it looked like someone had smudged the colours a bit.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

HELP LEGIO

Yeah I follow the lesson too closely. Could have made the text area look much better. But just finishing this one I got inspiration for a different one I will do now.

Vaðarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Not that great. I think i will make a new one.
    the picture
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] því að með lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi með ólögum eyða.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

I apologize for the way my photo looks like, but I have a really tight schedule now and I just had to do it as fast as possible. :/

Photo

Last edited by The Norseman; June 06, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Content Emeritus

HELP ME AGAIN

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Blog Entries

This one turned out a bit better I think. I still want to do more with it but I think it's a good base.

HELP LEGIO MORE

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

Spoiler for because I'll have to write something if I use contentbox. My laziness won't allow that.
    Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Alright, here we go. I combined techniques and material from all the previous lessons.

Spoiler for Budgie Power!

Kameraden's Avatar Campidoctor

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Done!
    Wallpaper
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Domesticus
    Artifex

@Legio: Your wallpaper has disappeared, but I checked it quickly before that and I do remember what it was like. I think you should let your own hand be seen more in the picture. But anyways, it was very good in my opinion.

However, I can't recall the other wallpaper (which has disappeared as well).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman
    What happened from step 6 to step 7? The colours which were looking a bit akward and uptight, suddenly loosened in step 7 and it looked like someone had smudged the colours a bit.
    I blurred the spectrum gradient, set the layer to "Overlay" mode and then duplicated it.

@Hader: Both of them are very good. The background in the second one is too plain if you ask me, but otherwise they're both good as said.

@Queen Chrysalis: I think that is very personal and good-looking in general. You may just want to fix the heads of the two guys on the right.

@The Norseman: Good. I like the smoothness of the bottom part of your wallpaper.

@Rarity: Wow, fabulous work one more time! The only thing I'd change is the text - maybe make it more eye-catching?

@Diamat: Great work! Although I can't realise why the lass has such a beard.

@Kameraden: Now, that is something surprising!

I should've predicted this. Oh well, good work anyways.

@King William the Conqueror: Good, but I think you should really add some shadows and such there - your wallpaper is quite plain as it is.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Thanks for the feedback, Goofy. And thanks for the awesome course!

Blog Entries

Yeah my second one I used some of the technique from the last lesson for the background part, I think it would have fit better if I had kept more of the original picture I cut Leliana from, as it was a winter setting. That's why I felt that an appropriate enough wallpaper. I still think it needs more though so I might keep adding to it and make it a bit like the signatures we did too.

Kameraden's Avatar Campidoctor

thanks professor!

Sinä vanha kameli

Content Emeritus

REUPLOAD

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat
    Thanks for the feedback, Goofy. And thanks for the awesome course!
    No problem, and you're welcome! I wish I could give more feedback to you but you know, it's quite a huge job to comment ~25 wallpapers in high detail.

As to your thanks - once I've taught the very last, optional lesson (see the "Feedback & Suggestions" thread) I'll announce the course finished and post the list of people who passed. You'll also get your medals then. So, in that thread you can praise me freely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hader
    Yeah my second one I used some of the technique from the last lesson for the background part, I think it would have fit better if I had kept more of the original picture I cut Leliana from, as it was a winter setting. That's why I felt that an appropriate enough wallpaper. I still think it needs more though so I might keep adding to it and make it a bit like the signatures we did too.
    Okay, I see. Creating an abstract background with (a lot of) brushes may not be a bad idea. Just make sure the colours fit the render if you choose to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kameraden
    thanks professor!
    You're welcome.
    Sinä vanha kameli
    Yo old camel!

@Legio: Ah, now I remember. Well, that is very good, but again I think you should improve the background picture yourself.

Content Emeritus

I did; this is background picture:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(also uploaded to IMGUR if it doesn't show)

and the wallpaper:

I've tried to change the colors and the sharpness, saturation, etc. while being as subtle as possible so that you'd think it came from the film itself and I think it's more artistic this way. Or do you just want a lot of obvious changes?
    Last edited by Legio; June 08, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast