Thread: 3 factions addon - V1.2 beta!

Default 3 factions addon - V1.2 beta!

Check it out! Working hero units!

V1.2 beta is done! Main campaign and custom battles have been thoroughly tested and work great!

Released as Beta: While I'm confident there aren't any game breaking bugs (beyond the few that come stock with RTW), I'm guessing there might be the odd thing that'll need tweaking sometime in the future.

Here's the file, no previous versions of the addon needed (but it does require a clean install of EoD), if you have a previous version this can be installed overtop (just overwrite).
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/21794..._V1_2_Beta_zip

Notes:
    I haven't played through entire campaigns for every-single faction, so if you do a full play-though for a particular faction a quick comment stating that you have (and which one you did) would be very encouraging and much appreciated (as would comments/feedback in general ).

The provincial (designed for Satanae) campaign has not been tested but you can play Satanae in the main campaign and with the recent changes it'll probably still be a good time.

The very fine artwork in this little pack (with the exception of a couple of hacked-together unit cards) comes courtesy of Blue Lotus, The Crusades, and End of Days mods (many thanks to all!).

V1.2 Changes

Hero units!
    -Each faction (all but Satanae) has a unique hero unit. These powerful units are set up as mercenaries with a very slow refresh rate (50+ turns) so, any losses taken to a hero unit cannot be easily replaced. Heroes can only be recruited in a faction's home region (as well as in custom games), but any hero can be recruited by any faction in the main campaign. Each faction starts the campaign with a hero unit attached to one of their armies.
    -Heroes are useful not only because they have high attack and defence values but also because their presence on the battlefield simultaneously boosts morale for friendly troops and instills fear in the enemy soldiers (after all, who in their right mind would want to fight against a legendary hero!).

Balancing overhaul
    -Partly to help balance in the heroes and partly because this was the whole point of this little project before I got completely side-tracked with this business of adding new factions... every unit has been re-balanced to fit the basic scheme of: militia<Professional<Elite<Elite Cavalry<Hero
    -Attack and defence values have been adjusted to allow for just slightly longer battles
    -morale and general (and hero!) effects are fairly noticeable now too (ie. starting a chain rout with a well placed cavalry charge can happen, even if the enemy army is still in reasonably good shape; at the same time though, a competent general can rally fleeing troops and mount a very
    respectable comeback)
    -archers, while certainly a problem for unarmoured militia, are mostly just a nuisance to well armoured troops (crossbows and welsh longbows being the exceptions)
    -Armoured knights play like the main battle tanks they probably were on a medieval battlefield -stronger than before but still vulnerable if surrounded in melee or fighting spearmen
    -spear bonuses have been simplified and are consistent for all spear wielding units across the board (light cavalry is pretty well matched 1:1 against spear militia but spear militia has no chance against a squadron of armoured knights)

Other:
    -Added one more region to the campaign and tweaked some of the regions added in the previous version (so it's not savegame compatible)
    -tweaked campaign starting positions so AI factions all perform reasonably well with the redone unit rosters

Default Re: 3 factions addon - V1.2 beta!

Awesome! Dling right now. I'll leave some feedback once I play around a bit.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

I downloaded too you'r add-on and is really great, nice job you did, but....it is an town at "Kashan" faction, called "Panggur" with problems, each time i'm trying to conquer it it gives me crash to the desktop after the battle, this is the only crash in game...but are another small problems like: that faction Shambhala......who is between "Kushan" and "Qin Empire" it didn't get to get 20 Turns and is destroyed...because it is in the middle and is really defeated very fast by Kushan and Qin...and then... Qin and Kushan are expanding too large...especial Qin after they crash Kashan faction...20 turns after that faction Shambhala.
    Any way I really like it is cool...and now I downloaded this V1.2 beta to test it .
    Request if it's possible: If you can add more faction....because Satanae and Germany is expanding too much.
    I'l let some feed too, after I play couple of days or hours, or maybe till i'l get first CTD
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    Nice, but....at french faction, you delete one of them important units, (I don't remember the name) and replaced by that Heroes...well you should make the heroes to be able to recruit in the cities,but with that 50 turns cooldown.
    Last edited by LordXarax; September 16, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: to don't make double post :D I let some feedback

Hi LordXarax - Glad you like the addon.
    I'm guessing the CTD problem you had post battle at Panggur is one of those bugs that comes stock with the original game and cannot be fixed, I'd bet if you load the closest save game and resolve the battle a turn or two later it'll all work out fine.

As to Qin, Kushan, and Shambhala; they are pretty well balanced out now (although Shambhala is admittedly a little bit weaker than the other two). In the testing I've done since the last set of changes I have actually seen all three dominate the Eastern map on different occasions. Shambhala can do pretty well depending on how the AI runs it's diplomacy in a given campaign.

I'm playing with Akagi.
    Battle at Panggur:
    Simple,I make alliance with Shabhala (because they are the same religion as me) and trade rights with near by faction.
    In turn 12 Kushan is attacking Shabhala, in next turn i'm recruiting boats to engage by the sea them city's.
    1 by 1 each city's fall and I get at the third of the from the sea, siege them and press next turn, even if they used them counter attack with the general sieged by my general, even It pass the turn and I start the battle,even if I press auto-resolve or I defeat them and I conquer the city, after I get victory, and the game load on the map, I get crash to the desktop, before I get that screen with Occupy,Sack or Exterminate.
    My english is "OP" so I hope you get it
    And if you are still working, will be cool to add more factions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm sorry because I can't add pictures now, but I will in the future days, because I'm playing LoL and the season is about to close, and I want to get Gold rewards, cuz of my elo there
    Last edited by LordXarax; September 26, 2012 at 02:23 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LordXarax View Post
    I'm playing with Akagi.
    Battle at Panggur:
    Simple,I make alliance with Shabhala (because they are the same religion as me) and trade rights with near by faction.
    In turn 12 Kushan is attacking Shabhala, in next turn i'm recruiting boats to engage by the sea them city's.
    1 by 1 each city's fall and I get at the third of the from the sea, siege them and press next turn, even if they used them counter attack with the general sieged by my general, even It pass the turn and I start the battle,even if I press auto-resolve or I defeat them and I conquer the city, after I get victory, and the game load on the map, I get crash to the desktop, before I get that screen with Occupy,Sack or Exterminate.
    My english is "OP" so I hope you get it
    And if you are still working, will be cool to add more factions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm sorry because I can't add pictures now, but I will in the future days, because I'm playing LoL and the season is about to close, and I want to get Gold rewards, cuz of my elo there
    My memory is a bit shaky on this, but it sounds very much like the siege bug. A known bug in RTW. Makanyane & MasterofNone did find a fix for this (garrison units) in later mods but I don't think EoD had it. I can't find the thread where it was discussed..

hmm if I remember good I meet this bug at Napoleonic 2 add_on campaign and they was an dude who solve the problem but ...i'm not sure is the same bug because they had lots of problems with this.