Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Falcom Total War III :Suggestions & bug fixing

Default Re: Falcom Total War III :Suggestions & bug fixing

i am at 135 turn and i got non stop crash terror its like every 3-4 turn and it is crashing

i get to 135 turn with not so many crashes but now every 4-5 turn and i get kicked out of the game
    other thing china doesnt have even one correct unit card

Yeah, I have the same problem too. I believe it is due to the fact that the computer is trying to build the naval dockyard but it can’t do it because the event “the world is round event” was taken out. Naval dockyard requires this event and that’s why I think it always starts to crash after the event “gun power is discovered”. Since I don’t know where Falcom is and can’t ask permission to do this and I really want to improve/fix his mod, I have decided to undertake fixing and improving it. Here is a list of bugs/improvements that I have fixed/improved. I plan on releasing them as an update after I make sure the game functions properly and if either Falcom or anyone else doesn't any objections to me doing so. If anyone finds a bug not listed here or has a suggestion, feel free to let me know about it.
    Falcom 3 1.5 will include the following changes:
    -Fixed cannon towers so they shoot properly
    -Fixed the imperial guard, and Asian crossbow units- imperial guards now move correctly and Asian crossbow units will now attack in melee when ordered to do so
    -Gave the assassins guild to the Asian factions as they were missing it
    -Fix merchant’s traits giving them an assassin’s trait instead of the correct trait
    -Removed some of the forts in North China so the computer doesn’t “get stuck” when moving its armies around
    -Fix South Africa so you can go around it without owning the Sothern tip province
    -Put a volcano and mountains into Northern Iran to better represent real world geography
    -Added mangonels and grape shot from Kingdoms
    -Fixed events so “the world is round event” is taken out
    -Black death will now affect correct settlements
    - Added Venice back in and removed the Ryukyu. I decided that there needed to be another Italian faction and Venice was an important city state back then. I decided to remove the Ryukyu since it is a small island nation
    -fixed/improved various text
    I will do my best to try to complete all the fixes/improvements listed. If time allows, I will have it finished soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Argon View Post
    Yeah, I have the same problem too. I believe it is due to the fact that the computer is trying to build the naval dockyard but it can’t do it because the event “the world is round event” was taken out. Naval dockyard requires this event and that’s why I think it always starts to crash after the event “gun power is discovered”. Since I don’t know where Falcom is and can’t ask permission to do this and I really want to improve/fix his mod, I have decided to undertake fixing and improving it. Here is a list of bugs/improvements that I have fixed/improved. I plan on releasing them as an update after I make sure the game functions properly and if either Falcom or anyone else doesn't any objections to me doing so. If anyone finds a bug not listed here or has a suggestion, feel free to let me know about it.
    Falcom 3 1.5 will include the following changes:
    -Fixed cannon towers so they shoot properly
    -Fixed the imperial guard, and Asian crossbow units- imperial guards now move correctly and Asian crossbow units will now attack in melee when ordered to do so
    -Gave the assassins guild to the Asian factions as they were missing it
    -Fix merchant’s traits giving them an assassin’s trait instead of the correct trait
    -Removed some of the forts in North China so the computer doesn’t “get stuck” when moving its armies around
    -Fix South Africa so you can go around it without owning the Sothern tip province
    -Put a volcano and mountains into Northern Iran to better represent real world geography
    -Added mangonels and grape shot from Kingdoms
    -Fixed events so “the world is round event” is taken out
    -Black death will now affect correct settlements
    - Added Venice back in and removed the Ryukyu. I decided that there needed to be another Italian faction and Venice was an important city state back then. I decided to remove the Ryukyu since it is a small island nation
    -fixed/improved various text
    I will do my best to try to complete all the fixes/improvements listed. If time allows, I will have it finished soon.
    Any updates yet?

umm yea but what about all the ctd's can you do try to fix the chinese ctd issue? any faction who interacts with the chinese, or indian factions...CTD.. and falcom has been MIA for like a year now..Please any progress is good progress.

I am still testing to make sure that the campaign mode fully works. So far events like the black death, etc. that I have fixed do work correctly. I have fixed the Chinese crossbowmen so they will attack with melee. Is the Chinese unit your are referring to is the Imperial Guard? Apparently, Falcom took a pike man and tried to turn it into a regular spearmen without taking the special abilities of "bracing" away. So that is why the imperial guard doesn't move when they are in "bracing mode" and when you try to click on them the game crashes. I am still trying to fix this animation problem. I am not having any problems with interacts any Indian factions. Could you tell me which unit(s) are causing it to crash for you?

Can you please upload what you have so far that way we can do many things at once testing it in many ways.

just copying what I posted in another topic here:

first off, I want to say that I am in NO way bashing this mod, and I thoroughly enjoy and love the work done here by everyone that contributed to it, such a stunning and awesome mod, though I noticed in some spots it could use a few different things (hence the suggestion thread), which I'm guessing might be able to be done in sub-mods, or maybe even a new version of the main Falcom mod, though I'm not a modder myself, so I'm just making suggestions here based on real history at this time, and gameplay stuff. also, I found this mod quite some time back (I've been on this forum for a good while, though I lost my password for my original account BloodnSteel, hence this new one of the same name with a number), and it was instantly one of my top favorites in my long list of favorite M2 mods. anyhow, getting to the suggestions:

first up will be the faction-based suggestions, and while I'm not a teacher, or historian or anything, I've been a huge history fan for about 10 years now, and I still love learning about it. I've been reading up on some of the factions I'll list here recently, though my knowledge of some is better than others, though I plan to read up on all of them that I can soon.
    http://worldhistorymaps.info/images/East-Hem_1200ad.jpg
    also, here is a map I found of 1200 AD in the old world that I think might help some:

I've not got all the info on the leaders and such for these factions yet, but I'm planning to look those up and post them if it's wanted later

some faction swaps I think should be made, whether it's in a sub-mod, or a new version of Falcom:

Denmark - Tibet - I say Tibet because Central Asia is in huge need of more factions, I think, in this mod, and with its capitol at Lhasa, Tibet would challenge China's expansion in the area more for one. why I picked Denmark to swap here? I think Europe is already sufficiently full of factions, and from my gameplay experience with this mod, Denmark doesn't seem to do much as an AI anyhow. I suppose any of the other factions I mention here to be traded out could also be swapped for Tibet, as long as it would be added in the end
    Tibet should start with only Lhasa, and an army I think

Scotland - Sultanate of Khwarezm - again, I suggest Khwarezm because it was a huge, rich and powerful faction in Central Asia, an area which sorely needs more factions I think, since it's so empty. this would pressure the Turks a bit more, as well as eventually slow China and/or the Mongols in that area, when heading west, it would also add another potentially super-powerful faction to the roster, and definitely a very rich one, since Khwarezm sat right on the silk roads. they could have their capitol at Urgench or Samarkand (I can't remember if Urgench is in game or not, so Samarkand would be a good fall back) why I picked Scotland to swap? for much the same reasons as Denmark, and though Scotland is great and all, it doesn't do so much as AI, from my experience, and I think Khwarezm would balance out the map a bit more, as well as add a very powerful/rich faction to a pretty empty area in game.
    Khwarezm should start out pretty huge, as they held territory from Central Asia to the very far western tip of what's now Iran. they should probably have to recruit their first out-of-city/castle army I think.

Moors - Almohades - just a name change suggestion, nothing else

Egypt - Ayyubid Sultanate - also a name change suggestion

Western Chalukyas - Ghurid Sultanate - this era of India is one of my lesser known areas sadly, though from what I've been reading and finding, I think the Chalukyas were from an earlier era, and that the Ghurid Sultanate was a large and powerful faction in Pakistan and northern India, I think this swap would make sense, and also balance out Central Asia, and India, while creating a bit more room between the two Indian factions. I'm not sure about their wealth, but the Ghurid capitol was at Ghazni which is in the far eastern edge of what's now Afghanistan, and Lahore, what's today Pakistan (on the eastern border with India. for gameplay balance purposes I'd choose Lahore for their capitol if it were up to me, just saying, more towards the middle of this empire). the Ghurids could pressure Khwarezm and the Indian faction I'm about to talk about, as well as add another big faction to the largely empty Central Asia. why did I pick the Chalukyas? because, from what I read, the Chalukyas were from an earlier era, and the Ghurids were a huge power in this region. not sure how the unit roster would have to change to become the Ghurids though.
    the Ghurids should start out pretty big, with their capitol at Lahore, and probably have to build their first out-of-city army I think

Cholas - Yadavas/Kakatiyas - I don't know much about Yadavas, or Kakatiyas but from my initial reading, and from what I see, both were sizeable powers in Central India at this time, and they would fit in a good spot in the middle of India should these suggestions ever be used, they could expand north and south, and would quickly come into conflict with the Ghurids to the north, should these things be implemented. I personally lean towards the Kakatiyas for a purely gameplay-based balance mindset, as I don't really know much about these two yet, as it would give this Indian faction a bit more room and space away from their impending Ghurid threat to the north, as well as more ports. why pick the Cholas? because they're already an Indian faction, and nearby, and it looks like they were almost gone by 1200 AD/CE. not sure where to place the Yadavas capitol, the Kakatiyas capitol would be Orugallu (Warangal) also, it sounds like Kakatiyas was the more organized faction of these two from what I read now, so I personally lean more towards that one.
    going on the side of Kakatiyas, I their capitol should be at Orugallu (Warangal), and they should probably start out with an army outside the capitol like some do. as well as a port.

Ryukyu - Goryeo - I say this one slightly regretting it, as I am quite fond of the interesting little trade-superpower of Asia of the era known as the Ryukyuan kingdom, but all they seem to do as AI in the mod is rush for Gaegyeong in Korea, and at most, Dongjing just to the north, from my experience, another reason I suggest this is because of history, Ryukyu was basically just a trade nation, even after becoming a vassal of Japan, it just played the middle-man to trade with Ming China, as the Ming wouldn't trade directly with Japan otherwise. another reason for the swap to Goryeo, is that Korea, even if it was a bit smaller than most throughout history, was a pretty tough contender in the region, and I think one could argue it was a major nation in Asia too, for gameplay reasons, I think it would be a great swap because it would balance out many factions, and possibly pressure them, those being; Japan, China, the Jurchens and the Mongols, though if it is added, I think another city should be added in southern Korea, to give it more staying power, as well as more income and so on. also, Goryeo would have a pretty interesting unit roster, including the Hwa-cha (Rocket Launcher in the standard M2, used by the Mongols) to name one.
    Goryeo's capitol should be at Gaegyeong, and it should get a second city, in southern Korea, which could be any number of historical cities, maybe swap out one of the rebel south american cities for this one. Goryeo should have a small army facing north towards Dongjing at the start.

Jurchens - Jin Dynasty - I just think they should be made bigger, start with maybe two regions, like Huining and Shangjing or more, since they were huge by this time. if some rebel settlements elsewhere in the world could be swapped out, adding one might be nice here, to increase the Jurchen's size, or maybe give it one or more of the rebel settlements in northern China, as they held that region IRL, also, MAYBE change the faction name to the Jin Dynasty, either works really. and its capitol should be Kaifeng, as it was at this time frame.
    if its size is increased, it should have to create its first stack of units

Novgorod - Kievan Rus/Russian Principalities - just a name change suggestion, though, if it is changed to the Kievan Rus, it should be moved south, with its capitol at Kiev, and it would put pressure on eastern Europe, as well as maybe blocking such easy expansion out into the Russian steppe for Poland and Hungary.
    if changed to Kiev or Russian Principalities, it should still start with one stack outside the capitol

Papal States - Milan/Venice/Sicily - though the Papal States can be fun to play as, I don't think they're really a realistic faction to be playable, since it was a religious faction, not really like the many Italian States that neighbored it, and any of the three Italian states from the vanilla would be good to swap out for it, though I kind of suggest Sicily more, as it would pressure the Byzantines and Moors, as well as filling up another pretty empty spot on the map, based in southern Italy, it would also have some time to get bigger on rebel land before running into other factions, but again, Milan or Venice would also likely be good trades, though I still think Sicily would balance out that area the most.
    if Sicily is chosen, it could easily just use the vanilla M2 roster it had, though it should start out owning Sicily, and the southern part of Italy, with Naples at the heart of the "southern boot". maybe give it an army on the northern edge of its land in southern Italy too.

Portugal - Polynesia (or any other faction in New Guinea/Indonesia/Philippines) - this one I say while going out on a limb, I think all of the above factions would be very good trades, but for this one, I'm merely suggesting it as a possibility to fill up the pretty empty southern Pacific, though their unit roster would likely be fairly primitive like Zimbabwe, or the meso-americans; Aztecs and Maya, the Polynesians, or whoever a modder decides to swap out should be a good bit of color to all that grey space on the campaign map. if it's the Polynesians, they should be tweaked (if possible) to be very expansionistic, as they sailed to every island they could find IRL, on their vast canoes, and they might eventually challenge a Japanese, Srivijayan, Chinese or even Goryeo player if/when they head that way. why did I pick Portugal here? because, from my experience in Falcom, I've not seen them do much, and Iberia is already jam-pack crowded with Spain and the Moors, Europe as well is pretty full, while a lot of areas of the map sit empty.
    being that this is a largely "fill up space" suggestion, I'm not sure about the capitol, or units for them, etc.

well there you have it, all I have to post for this suggestion thread right now, but I think all but the last one would be some pretty great game-changing factions, as well as realistic/historical, and fun to play as, but they would also balance out the map, and fill up a lot of empty space to boot, so I hope a modder picks up on one, or, forgive my possible dreaming; all of them to add in with a sub-mod, or new version of Falcom all together, though I know it'd probably require a lot of unit additions, and changes, as well as a few edits to the map here and there too, if it's done at some point. also, it would be great if someone better versed in each of these factions I suggested would help flesh out how/where they could sit on the map etc, and suggest things for the unit rosters.

again, I just want to remind all that I'm posting this to try and help out the mod with ideas and such, as, even though it's already an awesome mod, I think these faction trades would help it to become a bit better, more balanced, etc. I know some of the things I've suggested here have been brought up by others, and that some are even already popular ideas. a big reason why I posted this because I just recently played MansaSakura's african sub-mod, a very cool, interesting, and different sub-mod to see, and I figured the ideas I posted here, and the ones other forum-goers might spur a modder on to add in more sub-mods, or even a new version of Falcom in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Argon View Post
    I am still testing to make sure that the campaign mode fully works. So far events like the black death, etc. that I have fixed do work correctly. I have fixed the Chinese crossbowmen so they will attack with melee. Is the Chinese unit your are referring to is the Imperial Guard? Apparently, Falcom took a pike man and tried to turn it into a regular spearmen without taking the special abilities of "bracing" away. So that is why the imperial guard doesn't move when they are in "bracing mode" and when you try to click on them the game crashes. I am still trying to fix this animation problem. I am not having any problems with interacts any Indian factions. Could you tell me which unit(s) are causing it to crash for you?
    Help for fixing bugs is always welcomed :0)...

By the way my email is mentioned in the readme I think : falcom4ever@gmail.com

A few bugs stopped my gameplay as the Western Chalukyas..

The game started well, no crashes or anything, during the turns 20-40 I encountered the already mentioned "end turn bugs".. But then, the game started crashing as I attacked some rebel armies inside their cities and on the field (when I tried to fight the battle myself). One thing they had in common was the unit "Indian Elephant Archers", I wonder if that might be the cause?

I also found a bugged battle map on the campaign. I attacked a small rebel army on the bridge near Cholapuram, and the enemy spawned on a hill where they were unable to move.

This mod would be pretty damn awesome in my opinion, if it hadn't got all the bugs it has.

Couldn't find out how to edit the post. lol

Anyways, one more bug I discovered was that Afgan Javelinmens texture is bugged.

I think I put pope option to call a crusade.

I will not make any improvement other than fixing bug, because I have no time for that. If someone wants to create submods I might approve.

Stevie G's Avatar Laetus

Greetings Falcom, pardon me if this has already been asked, but is there a way to give native american nations there own voices, rather than Spanish-English. Thanks in advance

I looked at the latest patch. The descr_projectiles for several are deactivated by a semi colon. As a result say those using composite bows are not going to actually hit any units. As time went on, the Japanese archers were legendary in their accuracy. It isn't that the compound bow was better in general, but the unique arrows and the unique form the composite bow took on in Japan made it very accurate at a long distance. Interestingly, the Koreans had a short bow that could fire very long distances too, but I believe it was less accurate. Quite a technological achievement regardless.

Longbows could fire volleys very long distances, but they were less accurate. I would bet the longbow bodkin arrows had more armor penetration power. Near the end, while crossbows had penetration power, they also could fly very far distances.

The loyalty settings are a little low. I would recommend that you have many more rebels to spawn in regions in order to give kingdoms things to do before attempting to venture off on conquest. That would be far more realistic then say seeing Okinawa trying to conquer parts of China, something I witnessed open mouthed rather aghast. Sure early medieval soldiers might have been less loyal, but a way to gain loyalty is both fighting for country as well as by receiving some ancillaries. The king is paying for that and hence it should sometimes result in higher loyalty.

Did you intend for the Japanese not to have sword guilds save that of making armorers ? That's entirely fixable by recruiting samurai units of all kinds and should certainly happen in Japan of all places.

Given the vastly more educated soldiers in China and Japan during this medieval period, I would expect to see schools of tactics, swordsmanship, strategy, archery, horsemanship, etc.

This is all constructive criticism. It's a fine mod. It's really absent any ideas of Bushido, but then I'm working on a new EDCT that is nuanced versus most systems. Some Western ideas of Chivalry would not fit within a Japanese system and vice versa.

When you start a hotseat campaign there are some of the factions along the top row are missing, I don't suppose there is some way to add them?

guys sometimes the game crashes with no aparent motive also y cannot play custom batlle with srivajya and ryukyu because they not appear on the selection menu ( the srivajya and ryukyu bug not happen in campaign).

Some more suggestions: While I discuss the Japanese, it's only the example I am most familiar with. I understand you are a mod team of one. It's important to allow submods or perhaps ask for some help so if you decide on successive patches, some of these kinds of things can be addressed.

When you are planning a world-wide mod, it's important to adjust the ancillaries (EDA) and the traits (EDCT) such that you balance the other added nations that are not in most mods. In other words, unless you add in say an increase in Piety for building Buddhist Temples and Shinto Shrines, then there is no way for the Japanese to gain Piety. Likewise, the Japanese might have different kinds of ancillaries for their kingdom. They might especially have historical ancillaries that will show up on certain turns.There are no traits for the Japanese (normans) in the EDCT.

Just a tiny thing, but an important one, princess traits are seldom used. Since there's no chance of the Japanese ever sending their princess to marry a general from another kingdom, and they are not the only kingdom like that, then you might consider something else entirely. It is possible to create traits from regular wives marrying generals. In history, most marriages were arranged not love matches. As such, those wives were nobles who brought traits to the marriage. You can easily randomize traits so wives bring positive and negative traits with each new marriage. By doing so you could have each marriage likely to bring loyalty to the ruler as well for allowing the marriage to take place.

Because seldom in history would nobles marry from another kingdom save if they were of very high rank (political marriages) then all of the kingdoms are going to have issues if they include inbreeding. You could however include traits that some wives are from the North, South, East, or West and so have a manageable system for dealing with this. Since it is randomly assigned, then it will show up by doing it this way but will likely not show up too much i.e. General is from the North; wife is from the South, hence no inbreeding based upon the EDCT levels. Too many generals marrying too many court ladies from the same region results in inbreeding.

The humorous thing is that while the system in the game is supposed to allow for less inbreeding, the nobles in Europe were often so interrelated that the opposite was true.

Likewise, since some kingdoms gain certain types of buildings, in reality many kingdoms over such a long period also could gain similar buildings. Given the advanced state of technology in China and Japan, practically every building including some different kinds of spiritual places could show up in either country. They also had their own kinds of buildings like a martial art tradition. This happened in Europe too. Both began to happen from 1400 onward.

Japan is really many many warring clans. As such, while they do have powerful units, they also should have tons of rebellion. That can easily be set in either scripting or in the descr_rebel_factions. The most limiting aspect of Imperialism was dealing with so many warring clans. One cannot invade Korea no matter how much wants to unless they can deal with problems at home first. It's fun to invade the lands of Korea earlier than 1592, but not at all realistic.

Field costs and supply traits would be a natural step here, for while many would love to send an army into another kingdom, the expense of an army at such a distance, the logistics of supplies, would likely make such things prohibitive without an immense treasury.

There should be numerous issues with earthquakes, volcanoes, flooding, fire, and famine in Japan. It set them back constantly.

Note that these are not criticisms, just ways to make the mod better and more balanced.

guys the mod is cool but there is some lacking things that y will list : - 1: much units need new cards like the hindu fanatis that have the sudanese tribesmen icon - 2: some units need better textures like the inca horsemen that will be better with armor - 3: some units roster are not varied as the of the vanilla mtw2 rosters so will good have asian or african shared units -4: adding factions like the mapuche, tupi or polynesians. so y not wanted to ofendeding your cool mod only to improve him a bit.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm having a crash as the eastern Roman Empire, on the rebel's turn. I tried holding esc but it doesn't seem to work. This is the second ERE campaign where this has happened
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

7hillip's Avatar Libertus

[QUOTE=falcom4ever;12318936]If you go there C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\falcomtw3\data\text

Then you can delete

export_advice and tooltips files. it will use yours instead (in english)

hello falcom4ever, just wanted to ask if to delete export_advise and tooltips BIN files only? or the Text Documents also? Because i deleted the BIN files only and the French does not change into English, also i noticed there is an English and Francais folders within the C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\falcomtw3\data\text should i delete the files within the Francais folder also?

Oh and one more thing, the Aztec faction and the other new world factions have the Mediterranean accent? how can i change the accents into the Native Accent? like in the Kingdoms: Americas Campaign? Thx and great mod!