Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Falcom Total War III :Suggestions & bug fixing

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Falcom Total War III :Suggestions & bug fixing

Quote Originally Posted by MrG97 View Post
    I would suggest more campaignsmooth map features, such asa mountains around parts of hungary. I was just playing a hungarian campaign and i wiped out poland on the first turn. Well second turn but it was my stack against 4 units
    The solution many people take when making a global map is that the crowded areas are blown up. So in areas like central america and europe, the map is made proportionately bigger due to the large amount of factions in such a small area. Civ 4's mod because "ryhe's and fall" europe is larger in size than it would normally be. I find that espcecially in europe, the small area that island given is simply too small to effectively show the amount of action. This would give space to make coastlines and mountains more smooth.
    Otherwise, this is an enjoyable mod that is only really held back by hardcoded and game engine limitations.

Also, is there a plan to improve rosters or implement graphical improvements? With a new mod, that would of course come secondary to actual content
    Thanks
    MrG
    Personally, I think the proportions are perfect as they are. Europe has some deadly battles as do the Americas and East Asia. The Middle East isn't too shabby, either. And I'm finding it harder to expand in Europe than the other parts of the world because of the high density of factions, which is a good thing! It makes you want to actually take your ship and go somewhere else when it's possible. Huge wars break out in Europe with two major factions attacking each other and their allies jump in! The "smallness" of Europe adds to the fun.

In Mesoamerica, the Aztecs and Mayans duke it out in a bloody, all-out brawl. And when the Apaches and Incans join in, oooh, it's just about as deadly as Europe is! I've had battles that were about 50% larger than any of my European conflicts due to the large amount of Mesoamerican armies swarming about and destroying cities left and right.

In far East Asia, the huge border wars between the Chinese and Mongols, the Chinese and Khmer, and Ryukyu and Japan give that sense of impending doom. Seeing Mongol hordes at your doorstep or hearing the thundering feet of the Elephants of Khmer really make you cringe. The close proximity makes you feel that pressure of "Hey, my empire actually needs protection!" That's a feeling that Total War should put on you.

The closeness of your neighbors entices you to think about what you're going to do and if you should do it. Poland is a flat nation with few natural defenses, so an invasion is inevitable, especially from Germany or Hungary.

Again, the proportions are as they should be: close and tense. This is a mod to represent the world in all its glory. While I do see how the expanded landmasses would dissipate the aggression and give room for your nation to grow peacefully (I love Rhye's and Fall, btw), it just doesn't fit in this mod, in my honest opinion.

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Personally, I think the proportions are perfect as they are. Europe has some deadly battles as do the Americas and East Asia. The Middle East isn't too shabby, either. And I'm finding it harder to expand in Europe than the other parts of the world because of the high density of factions, which is a good thing! It makes you want to actually take your ship and go somewhere else when it's possible. Huge wars break out in Europe with two major factions attacking each other and their allies jump in! The "smallness" of Europe adds to the fun.
    you said it pretty nice, i agree with you

about Hungary, well he must be talking about the Carpathian mountains which are just some medium passible hills on the map IIRC, an issue i observed and is one of the thing i was thinking to suggest for improvement, maybe make them small/thin, but make then real mountains. about the Tara Romaneasca region, i didn't have time for any research on some better borders there...

another suggestion, put garrisons in all the PSFs on the map so the Ai will consider them as valid targets, or else the Ai ignores them.
    Last edited by Vipman; June 18, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Hi,

I believe Zimbabwe needs a big boost they are not doing anything even after 150 turns - and there are still several wrong unit pictures...for example Japan has a blodn and white Emperor and also some wrong unit pics...love the mod - really enjoyable...

Some of the African cities won't upgrade! For instance, Kumasi (west africa) won't give you the option to upgrade from village to town. you have to convert to a motte and bailey, then upgrade to a castle, then it will let you convert to a town.

Kumasi is village and you cannot upgrade into town ? Hmmm that should not happen because Mali is Middle Eastern technology. So if you can upgrade one village, you should be able to upgrade all villages.

btw I restarted working on the mod today for improvements

Well first off - I want to say huge thanks for creating this awesome mod, sure there are other good mods like Third Age but for a long time I was looking for a Europa Universalis combined with Total War game, especially placed in medieval age.

Now there are few things that need some tweaking imo.
    First - AI needs improvement, just like in original medieval 2 there are nations that seem to do nothing. So far I reached around 220 turns so maybe something changes in very late game but I doubt tbh, often these nations just get conquered before they do anything.

I mean:

Incas - They conquer Copiapo and stop doing anything after that.

Scotland - I love to play this faction, being big fan of pikes spam gameplay. However just like in M2 when they're under AI control they seem to never conquer anything, and get destroyed after around 60-70 turns either by Spain or England.

Zimbabwe - I've found out that they don't do anything, don't even attack rebels. Also I think it's caused by fact that although their units are really weak compared to any other nation, they're still quite expensive to keep - In fact you lose money just from start and AI will never remove their own troops !

Jurchens - They've got strong units but for some reason they just occupy their capital - Also never saw them upgrading it.

The Cholas and The Western Chalukyas. - Both factions seem to prefer defensive play style, maybe if you poke them, at least they create units and improve cities.

Also notice that I play two games atm, one on normal and one on hard campaign difficulty. Maybe that's the reason. Also there might be some historic events that I'm not aware off (Like the one with Cholas attacking Indonesia) - Maybe those events will make some factions more aggressive. Just check it out.

Now 2nd thing - I know it's still early game phase but I'd like to see more units and fixed building trees.
    What I mean by units is fact that some factions seem to be lazy, for example: Zimbabwe. I think fact that they don't have any cavalry or archers should be compensated with larger diversity of infantry, more specialized in fighting against different kind of units.
    Same thing goes for Khmers and few other "elephant based" factions, In at least my games Khmers still kick asses but I find them extremely boring for fact that their entire army spine is based on elephants and 3 types of units - That's 6 units overall when European, Muslim or even East Asian factions got over 20 different units in different ages.

Now about building trees - They're fine, but some of them just need to be removed, for example: Zimbabwe, I don't see any reason I should see a stable being available to build when I can't create any cavalry - Just remove it or change bonuses - For example - Stables would make zimbabwe units move faster on their own roads.

Besides that, it's really great mod, there is also this texture bug when you upgrade Asian castle but I guess someone posted it already.

Kunzzi

Regarding the factions doing nothing I have to desagree The factions act different from a game to another.

It happens often that Inca conquer only their traditionnal territories, but I already saw them marching on Panama and fight Mayans.

On my games Scotland often sails to Scandinavia and conquer lowlands also. I already saw them destroy england with help of France.

Zimbabwe it is true that they are pretty inactive, but I am correcting this for the new version while I implement the new units. As on the next version all Africa can be conquered, I think this might help Zimbabwer a lot.

Jurchen seem to fear Mongols and China. In my games they usually end to ally with Japan to fight China, but do not conquer anything.

Cholas and Chaluky. Usually they fight to the death for the control of all India. Then later they fight Turks and Khmers. I am not sure if we can consider them as defensive as they always figth until one is destroyed.

On the next version Inca, Zimbabwe, Mali and Khmes will get new units. Khmers will get cavalry at an expensive cost. And they will not be able to relly only on elephants unless they are powerfull and rich enougth.

About the Asian castle it would be nice to tell me wich "stage" of the castle (ex large wall castle, wooden castle, etc..) bugs. I have no time to play

While we're making suggestions...
    Can you make all the SubSaharan African units (Nubian Spearmen, Nubian Archers, Sudanese Javelinmen, Sudanese Tribesmen) non-region specific (African Spearmen, African Archers, African Javelinmen, African Tribesmen) and allow them to be recruitable by Mali and Zimbabwe. They are like the only black units in the game, so Mali and Zimbabwe could definately use them to fill in their rouster.

Dori_as's Avatar Laetus

very nice mod, i started with denmark and its very fun but the danish have english voice so if you can change it to the voice like in medieval 2 total war it would be musch more realistic

Quote Originally Posted by Dori_as View Post
    very nice mod, i started with denmark and its very fun but the danish have english voice so if you can change it to the voice like in medieval 2 total war it would be musch more realistic
    The problem is that I am moding the french version and the voices are totaly differents how they are made

Quote Originally Posted by MansaSakura View Post
    While we're making suggestions...
    Can you make all the SubSaharan African units (Nubian Spearmen, Nubian Archers, Sudanese Javelinmen, Sudanese Tribesmen) non-region specific (African Spearmen, African Archers, African Javelinmen, African Tribesmen) and allow them to be recruitable by Mali and Zimbabwe. They are like the only black units in the game, so Mali and Zimbabwe could definately use them to fill in their rouster.
    Mali will not need this units The new units are very cool

As for the Zimbabwe, they seem to not have fought with swords and bows. So they will only use axes, spears, sticks and javelins But on the new version they are very cool also (but less than Mali)

Hello Falcom4ever,

thank you for your work with this refreshing mod!

Sorry for the intrusion, I'd have some suggestions (actually egoistic requests ):

- in particular, could you please implement the CBUR Byzantine roster in your mod? like someone did with basileia submod for stainless steel 6.1 in past years. I'd love to conquer the world with the CBUR troops...

- also, what about adding Rusichi units for Mongols and Russians? any chances of seeing them in Falcom Total War?

sorry if I sound intrusive, just some fan's hopes.

thanks for reading and thank you again for the mod.

Ulakanakulot
    Last edited by Ulakanakulot; June 28, 2012 at 06:10 PM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ulakanakulot View Post
    Hello Falcom4ever,

thank you for your work with this refreshing mod!

Sorry for the intrusion, I'd have some suggestions (actually egoistic requests ):

- in particular, could you please implement the CBUR Byzantine roster in your mod? like someone did with basileia submod for stainless steel 6.1 in past years. I'd love to conquer the world with the CBUR troops...

- also, what about adding Rusichi units for Mongols and Russians? any chances of seeing them in Falcom Total War?

sorry if I sound intrusive, just some fan's hopes.

thanks for reading and thank you again for the mod.

Ulakanakulot
    awww, I like the vanilla feel of this mod It would just look kind of "off" with CBUR/Rusichi models next to vanilla models. I really like both styles, but together, they just don't mesh well.

But hey, if Falcom wants it, then more power to him.

1.4 won't work for me! It installed, but when I start the mod, it crashes to desktop. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled in safe mode, but it won't start. Anyone else have this problem. What can I do to find out what's wrong. I waited 12 hours for this download and really wanted to play. Help

Citizen

If you have windows 7, make sure that you turn off User Account Control.

And if you installed it to a folder named anything other than "falcomtw3" you'll have to modify the .bat and the .cfg files appropriately.

Thank you Holy Pilgrim! That fixed it I am forever greatful. And Falcom has really outdone himself. Every unit I wanted was in there and a few I wasn't expecting. Good show!!!

Citizen

No problem mate

Also, excellent work on the Africa mod. I forgot to post in your thread about it. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    No problem mate

Also, excellent work on the Africa mod. I forgot to post in your thread about it. Sorry

Thanks Glad to know somebody tried it.

Yesterday, when I first started the mod I was getting a lot of crashes when I right-clicked to view or close a unit card.

Doesn't seem to be happening today.........(?)

Just thought I would mention it.

Excellent mod, thank you all.

Mansa, is your sub mod save game compatible?
    "I should like to see...the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest"

This mod is awesome. I know you will do more stuff in the future. I've been online researching everything I can about Zimbabwe and its successor state Mutapa. Came across this pic that might help in the future. Cheers. You have made my summer!

By scottfree at 2012-07-02

I found also this pictures few months ago ^o^

This is also why there is no bow and arrow for zimbabwe :0)