Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TEd battle map editor and patch released

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

Default Re: TEd battle map editor and patch released

Wait, wait, so to make waterways, rivers and seas is by dropping the height? That means we couldnt make Large Waterfalls? With a River above a cliff? I Believe i've seen waterfalls on a Siege Map...or is it just effects...ah...yes...

kamikazee786: Yes, you can! Just place any custom brushes as grey scale PNG files in D:\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\ted_data\EditorBrushes
    and restart TEd.

LestaT: No, these will not have any effect on the map or in the final game. These are local TEd settings
    only. However, it appears that they aren't having the desired effect - the quality settings don't appear to be effected by the TEd settings ATM >

weirdoascensor: You can place particle emitters using the particle tool (click the 'create emitter' check box, choose an
    effect group and off you go) and use these to create waterfall splash effects. Or fire features. Or perpetually exploding houses.

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    The three pre-release clans plus Sendai, as separate DLC's
    Why would anybody pay for them? They're barely differentiated from the generic non-playable factions by their colors. If they had unique units, maybe. But as it is, the Tsu are the only ones who are interesting as a northern Imperial-oriented clan. And it's easy enough to get one of those that isn't a horrid purple color (even in battle) with some simple mods.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by TimLuther View Post
    LestaT: No, these will not have any effect on the map or in the final game. These are local TEd settings only. However, it appears that they aren't having the desired effect - the quality settings don't appear to be effected by the TEd settings ATM >
    Will adding more ram do any good since it's the cheapest upgrade at this moment ? 4gb of ram nowadays are no longer seems big.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

LestaT: I can't say specifically what will help with your machine and TEd but I can offer some general advice about improving performance of graphical software via upgrades:

If you've got a 64bit OS and machine, add as much RAM as you can. You can never have enough RAM and, as you say, it's cheap as chips these days. On a 32bit machine, adding more RAM is less useful as such machines can only address 3 gigs of RAM in one go. My laptop has 4gigs but only 3 are usable.

Upgrading your graphics card is always a good bet for software like this - a graphics card with low memory. clock speed or fill rate (i.e. how many pixels can it draw in a given time) will have a very detrimental effect on a program like TEd.

TEd also likes multicore processors.

Finally, there are some hardware and software configurations that will cause problems that programmers cannot know about until they are encountered in the wild.

HTH!

Is it possible to play your created maps with mods like Darth mod Shogun, or will you get a CTD?

Hellhound1's Avatar *Knock Knock*

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Will adding more ram do any good since it's the cheapest upgrade at this moment ? 4gb of ram nowadays are no longer seems big.
    Well im running on 16gb, and run s2 and TEd together, which touches about 5gb

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhound1 View Post
    Well im running on 16gb, and run s2 and TEd together, which touches about 5gb
    Is TEd smooth ?

LestaT: I can't say specifically what will help with your machine and TEd but I can offer some general advice about improving performance of graphical software via upgrades:

If you've got a 64bit OS and machine, add as much RAM as you can. You can never have enough RAM and, as you say, it's cheap as chips these days. On a 32bit machine, adding more RAM is less useful as such machines can only address 3 gigs of RAM in one go. My laptop has 4gigs but only 3 are usable.

Upgrading your graphics card is always a good bet for software like this - a graphics card with low memory. clock speed or fill rate (i.e. how many pixels can it draw in a given time) will have a very detrimental effect on a program like TEd.

TEd also likes multicore processors.

Finally, there are some hardware and software configurations that will cause problems that programmers cannot know about until they are encountered in the wild.

HTH!
    Mine is i3-2100 (HT enable) with 64bit Win7. Using HD 5770 at this moment. Since I'm going to get a new rig (hopefully) in 2 months time I'm hoping that as this moment adding some more ram should help a bit.
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; May 24, 2012 at 03:34 AM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee786 View Post
    hey guys, i was wondering whether or not you could make custom brushes, the brushes for mountains are a bit, well generic
    Yes you can. It was shown in one of the videos.

Hellhound1's Avatar *Knock Knock*

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Is TEd smooth ?
    It's still a bit hit and miss. Especially undo.

Undo on painting is a bit slow (the smaller the area, the faster it'll be), undo on building placement and so on should be fine.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

There's a bug : it doesn't work for NTW

(Joking)

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    The three pre-release clans plus Sendai, as separate DLC's
    Separate DLC's? LOL! Probably $5 each. No thanks!
    CA should learn from Steam sales: Put all clans into one package and sell it for $5 and you will get 10x the total sales, imho.

Also, nice to see a bunch of fixes for various issues but I am still waiting for the fix to the MSAA- and DOF graphical artefacts.
    Last edited by A Barbarian; May 24, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

• Improved transition blending for combat animation.
    Interesting, i`ll take a look at that.

• Negative phase removed from Banzai.
    I wonder what that did? Or means? Why removed?

• Improved Windows 8 preview compatibility.
    Hmmm. Kinda early to be considering Win8 now, isn`t it? I heard Win8 is way to bugged for almost anything and is only a preview anyway.

I wonder what else they did. I hope they haven`t dumbed things down secretly like they sometimes do.

Good newws. To be fair though, the multiplayer part of Shogun 2 already had a ton of maps.

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Hmmm. Kinda early to be considering Win8 now, isn`t it? I heard Win8 is way to bugged for almost anything and is only a preview anyway.
    We had quite a lot of people on the support forums who were using the Win 8 preview and couldn't play.

It's finally downloaded!
    TEd doesn't run very well on my laptop but then, my laptop really isn't all that great. My best advice for running TEd would be to do so on a good gaming rig - that's the sort of machine this was designed to run on. As Craig said, 64bit wouldn't hurt. And lots of RAM.

That said, here are some performance tips:

firstly, if you're having performance problems locate this file:

Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\scripts\public_ted.script
    and set these properties which should set the quality levels to low:

set_property startup_settings.SSAO_enable = false;
    set_property startup_settings.DOF_enable = false;
    set_property startup_settings.volumetric_effect_enable = false;
    set_property startup_settings.distortion_enable = false;
    set_property startup_settings.HDR_enable = false;
    set_property startup_settings.x_resolution = 1600;
    set_property startup_settings.y_resolution = 1200;
    set_property startup_settings.sky_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.unit_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.ship_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.shadows_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.trees_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.grass_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.water_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.effects_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.terrain_quality = low;
    set_property startup_settings.texture_quality = low;

Secondly, locate this directory:
    D:\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\ted_data\EditorBrushes

And move any of the big ones that you don't want to another directory (the Mountain_xxx files are big. Also, 'Square brush' could be much smaller for what it is). Brushes really eat up memory.

Finally, when running TEd, go to:

Tools->Settings->Vegetation Settings and switch grass off. That improves performance on some machines.

I sincerely hope that helps!
    That's exactly what I tried yesterday, but it didn't work.

Changing the settings somehow never changes anything in the editor. Even if I disable the grass completely, it is still there in the preview window.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    We had quite a lot of people on the support forums who were using the Win 8 preview and couldn't play.
    Fair enough. Never thought that many people would want the hassle.

Sorry, to go on another tack (coincidentally as I just now tried running STW2), no matter how amicable our conversations may be, I still hate the way CA\SEGa use Steam. Every single time you guys patch the game Offline, I can`t start in Offline mode. Just had the problem now, trying to start up after patching. The STW2 icon wouldn`t respond, not even the Steam `Start in Offline mode?` would come up. Restarted PC. Same.

Oh, guess what, only after I logged in to Steam would the game would run.

After that it worked in Offline mode.

I really hate this sly shenanigins you people use. Seriously. it`s the one true barrier between you guys and I - Probably forever. I don`t expect anyone to care or respond, and I don`t care that you don`t care but I`m letting you know how I will feel and constantly will until Steam is optional.

Yeah, it`ll be a long wait. Right.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Messed around with Ted a bit yesterday with the documentation aid. Finally, a real tool! CA deserves our thanks for this.

One question though, do people think it's going to be possible to mod maps into the SP campaigns? That is what I'm really looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Messed around with Ted a bit yesterday with the documentation aid. Finally, a real tool! CA deserves our thanks for this.

One question though, do people think it's going to be possible to mod maps into the SP campaigns? That is what I'm really looking forward to.
    The guys on the Sekigahara mod reckon it should be simple enough to add in custom siege maps to the SP campaign. Land/naval battles might take a little more work.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast