Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [Version 3.x] Campaign Issues

Default Re: [Version 3.2] Campaign Issues

I am suspected a memory leak because of very detailed unit models. Try the lowest level in quality and test again.

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by PrussianGuard View Post
    (My brave boys.... )

i loaded my savegame and recevied a crash after one turn.....may it possible that it has something to do with the settings im playing with ?
    Probably...try to set off shadows and low down sky, grass and building details!!

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    This should not be happened. But... since it does, you can fix it like this: Open the save game with Esf Editor, follow the highlighted path (see in spoiler) and delete all UNIT_RESTRICTIONS under UNIT_RESTRICTIONS directory (it should be left empty).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It works!!
    D'you think I could recover my "lost" generals? I mean Jackson, Mosby and Stuart...
    Husserl?
    Last edited by Horatio Hornblower; May 23, 2012 at 07:37 AM.

lowered my settings but it didnt help.....is there a way to find out why it crashes ?

Thanks in advance

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    This should not be happened. But... since it does, you can fix it like this: Open the save game with Esf Editor, follow the highlighted path (see in spoiler) and delete all UNIT_RESTRICTIONS under UNIT_RESTRICTIONS directory (it should be left empty).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thank, it s working !!!!

Horatio Hornblower's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by PrussianGuard View Post
    lowered my settings but it didnt help.....is there a way to find out why it crashes ?

Thanks in advance

Try to:
    right click on ACW launcher icon ---> proprieties ---> compatibility, and tick off the option run modality Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
    Obviously, tick off the option "run as administrator"...
    Do the same with Empire launcher.
    Last edited by Horatio Hornblower; May 23, 2012 at 07:57 AM.

Okay so far so good,

i did as you suggested and came until august or so, without playing any battle. So i think fighting a battle manually makes my engine cry....but its good to know thanks

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

My testing v3.2 Union, Warpath (no custom modding) allowed all generals to be recruited, and no ctd to the turn when all generals appeared, i stopped then. That was just a quick test-playthrough yesterday, ie. no save and reload, no camp-battles played out (autocalced them). However, as for vanilla generals, CSA AI got one vanilla general within the first 3 turns, also other minor AI's. CSA AI seemed to get though all hist. named generals, but i didn't see Lee (but perhaps sits in the unviewable fow-regions).

Husserl:
    As many seem still to suffer from the no-general-appearence, when they reloaded a camp (i assume so from the posts above), i get the impression, that it could have to do with the startpos.esf and esp. scripting.lua reloaded, ie. also i find it strange that the camp-welcome-message appears again, even if you have reloaded ie. a turn 4 or whatever (or is this intended?). Maybe there is the culprit with no-gens, that a reload of the camp files interupts the script to react properly on the save file in regard of the generals-script?
    Also, i think ACW as ETW vanilla suffers from the known memory leak issue.
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Shirby's Avatar Laetus

I can agree with everything here. As long as you dont play battles and reload everything is perfectly fine. As soon as I fight a battle it seems to crash (9 out of 10 times) when Im ending the turn.
    Also when I reload then I cant recruit any generals aswell. I even had (that one prominent CSA general) boregeard (?) in my recruiting list to be recruited but when I loaded again he was greyed out and wasnt in the list anymore. Too bad, all these crashes/bugs make the campaign nearly impossible to properly play at the moment :/
    By the way DaVinci, I usually dont crash in the battles anymore, thanks again!

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Im having a repeatable crash in campaign. Playing as US on M/M. I sieged Richmond with my US army and kept the siege. After 2 turns the defending troops attack me on the ai turn and I win the battle with no crashes. I even take another actions during the ai turn (spain offered me a trade agreement, for example before the crash). The crash seems to happen immediately before my turn begins. It happened twice.

Try to get your quality settings as low as you can to avoid CTDs. The modellers are working to solve these problems (unit models drain the memory).

Quote Originally Posted by Shirby View Post
    I can agree with everything here. As long as you dont play battles and reload everything is perfectly fine. As soon as I fight a battle it seems to crash (9 out of 10 times) when Im ending the turn.
    Also when I reload then I cant recruit any generals aswell. I even had (that one prominent CSA general) boregeard (?) in my recruiting list to be recruited but when I loaded again he was greyed out and wasnt in the list anymore. Too bad, all these crashes/bugs make the campaign nearly impossible to properly play at the moment :/
    By the way DaVinci, I usually dont crash in the battles anymore, thanks again!

This is happening to me as well. I hope they fix it because it is a great game when it is operating.

so a very odd thing happened. The North attacked me during its turn, and when it came to be my turn again. Everything was greyed out and I couldn't click on anything. Even pressing ESC wouldn't bring up the controls. I'm guessing its cuz I had my unit size set on ultra to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsfire View Post
    so a very odd thing happened. The North attacked me during its turn, and when it came to be my turn again. Everything was greyed out and I couldn't click on anything. Even pressing ESC wouldn't bring up the controls. I'm guessing its cuz I had my unit size set on ultra to try it out.
    This has happened to me several times and I do not have the unit size on ultra.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quoting myself, as it is related.
    My testing v3.2 Union, Warpath (no custom modding) allowed all generals to be recruited, and no ctd to the turn when all generals appeared, i stopped then. That was just a quick test-playthrough yesterday, ie. no save and reload, no camp-battles played out (autocalced them). However, as for vanilla generals, CSA AI got one vanilla general within the first 3 turns, also other minor AI's. CSA AI seemed to get though all hist. named generals, but i didn't see Lee (but perhaps sits in the unviewable fow-regions).

Husserl:
    As many seem still to suffer from the no-general-appearence, when they reloaded a camp (i assume so from the posts above), i get the impression, that it could have to do with the startpos.esf and esp. scripting.lua reloaded, ie. also i find it strange that the camp-welcome-message appears again, even if you have reloaded ie. a turn 4 or whatever (or is this intended?). Maybe there is the culprit with no-gens, that a reload of the camp files interupts the script to react properly on the save file in regard of the generals-script?
    Also, i think ACW as ETW vanilla suffers from the known memory leak issue.
    So, i played a real campaign (with some custom modding), as above (Union, Warpath). In this case:

- Everything works (except, as known, AI recruits vanilla generals), including the general-recruitment works smoothly.
    - Until an end_turn crash happens, at this stage i have 4 generals (Clecllan, Dowell, Bufford, Chamberlain ... it's July '61).
    - (Btw., iirc. i have no direct camp-battle-played-end_turn ctd's anymore, but i have the impression that end_turns after played battles are likely to crash)
    - Reloaded the autosave (or any save prior to the crash), the general-recruitment is out of order (call for duty, no appearence).

I don't know if this, the possible end_turn crashes (might be memory leak issue as well) and the apparently related general-recruitment-interruption (i actually think it is related directly) can be solved. I don't think so, as ETW vanilla and every ETW mod crashes from time to time in end_turn.

My advise, after all this playtesting, for the historical general-recruitment:

a. Erase the scripting for them (even if it is a nice-to-have).
    b. Put them into the buildings, ie. in a proper (historical) order of appearence into the gov-building string. We have just 8-9 generals, and we have up to 8 gov-building tiers (capital settlement), so real historical late generals can be put into high tiers; while one could also use other buildings, separate for certain generals, or parallel.
    c. Other option: Use the (upcoming) tech-researchment-tree for this.
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 23, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Yesterday i tested the warpath campaign both sides. I can confirm everything what`s saying here.
    Without manual battles i come to january 1865.
    With manuel battles every time a ctd comes after a battle was fought. settings changed to very high back to low but nothin`matters.
    But what i don`t understand is why i can play vanilla Empire on highest settings playing manual battles
    without a ctd for a long time.

About generals I know exactly what is the problem and is not related with CTDs or anything else. To cut the story short, when you load the first save in your campaign, the generals that have not be recruited until that point are restricted permanently. I am working on this but nothing so far. For the moment go in ...\empire total war\ACW\Scripts\ and open with notepad scripting_gb_csa.lua and scripting_gb_union.lua and remove these and only these lines (keep a backup):

Code:
    csa:
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("csa_general_lee")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_hood")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_mosby")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_johnston")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_longstreet")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_pickett")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_beauregard")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_stonewall")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_stuart")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("cs_gen_stuart")

us:
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_buford")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_chamberlain")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_custer")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_grant")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_hancock")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_mcclellan")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_mcdowell")
    scripting.game_interface:add_restricted_unit_record("us_gen_tecumseh")
    In this way you will have all generals available from the fist turn. They will be restricted periodically again during the first year of campaign. You need to start a new game.

To know if game's script has been damaged watch the Chronicles. If they work then script is o.k. If not use the backup and try again more carefully.
    Last edited by husserlTW; May 24, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Foederatus

Awesome husserl, this problem annoyed the out of me. Removing those parts of the scripts worked fine for me. At least now I can get all the generals in the first turn until you find a real solution.

Keep up the good work bro

thank you sir, for the general fix. works very well.
    i appreciate the good and fast fix.

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

CTD on campain map... 1 army of the south come in Washington country and ctd...

Same for me, and it sucks, cuz I really love this mod. I get ctd during computer turns. this is after using this general fix, deleting the lines in the files.
    18th Century Book about a young Sailor in the Royal Navy, who embarks a great adventure!http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Zacaria-R-Telford/dp/1424142679/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322699110&sr=8-1on