Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots, Videos, Fanart, AARs

Default Re: [ACW] Screens, Videos, AARīs, Fanart (Trailer #1 released)

Some pics from a battle where the North had a massive cannon battery:

Northern cannon battery
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Southern troops coming onto the battlefield

Southern artillery under enemy fire

Cavalry charge on cannons

Cavalery fight

Southern troops facing the cannons

Fire boys

U better run

Last edited by A Barbarian; June 30, 2012 at 08:52 AM.

it is fall 1864 in my campaign, and its some what like the actual end of the ACW minus the south losing. I've successfully captured Missouri, and I'm on the verge of taking Michigan. Although in Virginia my 3 full armies are wavering rarely being able to receive reinforcements for full units(160men) they usually stay at 100 men or so. This is due to the Northern onslaught. My last 5 turns I've been engaged in non stop battles. I almost lost Richmond but I was lucky for the sun to come down(time clock ran out lol) We shall see how this war turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Some pics from a battle where the North had a massive cannon battery
    Nice !
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsfire View Post
    pics of a recent battle

question how can you watch a saved replay battle on oh say VLC or windows video player?
    I use the program Overwolf. It's free and does a pretty decent job. I've used it for COD and the mod.
    History of War Podcast

Episode 3: History of the Infantry

Sorry, couldn't resist to post some pics of an awesome atmospheric map in the south:

Ad Hominem's Avatar Laetus

Very nice ^

Battle of Gettysburg
    July 1st, 1863
    General James Longstreet, Commanding First Corps of the Army of the Potomac.

About 10 AM I received reports of heavy skirmishing between our own advanced troops and those of the Union cavalry. I made all possible speed to the scene of the battle, arriving with several thousand of my troops in the vicinity of the town of Gettysburg. The Union troopers withdrew, and several prisoners that we had captured told us of a heavy infantry column heading west, from a road leading towards Philadelphia. As such, I deployed my men in a battle line facing east. Our troops were deployed in an area known as the Peach Orchard, near some rocky terrain south of the town. Two hills commanded the view of the land.
    But, roughly 1 PM I received word that the Union's I and V Corps were moving in force around my right, and so I began to swing my troops that direction. I sent our cavalry detachment out ahead of the main force, which engaged with Buford's Union Cavalry. Guns from the Second Corps had deployed near me and my staff and were opening fire long range on the enemy as they approached. It was near this time, that having driven off Buford, my cavalry ran into infantry and beat a hasty retreat.

Our lines were drawn up near the edge of the southern bit of woods, which acted as my left flank and went south towards the Peach Orchard. In the rocky terrain my artillery unlimbered and began to open fire on the enemy troops. Hoods Texas Brigade arrived first and was situated in a clearing between two sections of wood and was the first Infantry to engage the enemy. It was obvious that these were not veterans of previous combat, and our fire decimated much of the enemy as they tried to form. Slowly the enemy formed battle lines and began to return fire with little effect on Hoods veteran troops.

Several regiments made it onto a small hill spotted with woods, and currently outflanked the enemy in the immediate vicinity. Enemy artillery became hot and concentrated on Hood's section of the lines. But, most of the shots fell behind the lines, and many a good tree now lay shattered.

About 1:35, nine minutes after we began to engage the enemy, the enemy had finally formed a neat enough battle line and began to advance into the woods. Hoods men waited until they were two-thirds of the way through the forest before they began to open fire. The enemy took cover in the trees and retaliated with minimal effect upon my lines. Near this time several more regiments arrived and we stretched our lines past the eastern edge of the hill. But, it was now that we saw the enemy had not been so idle or as stupid as we once thought. They had maneuvered the Irish Brigade close to the hill, and they were moving a few more unidentified units near the hill to try to flank my own lines. One captain reported that he could see Berdan's Sharpshooters moving into position, followed closely by the Iron Brigade. Near the center of my lines, Maine regiments were seen pushing forward.

By now my lines resembled a "5" shape, only without the top line, and when several more regiments arrived in the area I moved them into what is now called the Triangle. I knew that we would not be able to hold the current position long, and needed to start forming the fallback position. The Irish Brigade got within mere feet of my line before the fell back under heavy fire. My best guess is that they ran out of ammunition. Several more Union units fell back, but Hood Texans were so hard pressed that he fell back to the edge of the trees behind him where he could reform.

At that moment a regiment of zouvees which had not gotten the initial orders to join the line rushed to Hood's flank and added their own weight to the fight. The time was now 1:40 and during this engagement my troops had held the northern slope of the hill and the Union had held the southern slope. But, at this time my troops on the hill were forced to pull back when the enemy made a hard push for position of the hill and Buford's cavalry made an unusual charge between the two lines of Infantry and hit my men as they tried to pull back. I dare say many of his boys got shot by comrades.

My men did not fall back completely to the Triangle, but formed up in front of it. The regiments at the Triangle were able to shoot over the heads of the men in front of them and hit the oncoming Union onslaught. It was this time that the Pennsylvania Bucktails entered the fight and the Irish Brigade came back with a vengeance. The pushed my boys back, and cut off one of my regiments and inflicted so many casualties that the regiment broke and fled.

Around 1:42 the enemy rushed Hoods troops and began hand-to-hand combat. But my men had the mastery over these green boys and quickly they broke the enemy's will to fight and they fell back. Hood launched a small counterattack, and drove off the enemy cavalry which had decided to join the fight. The Iron Brigade had hit our boys and after pushing them back a couple yards fell back from heavy losses. The entire Union's left flank collapsed at this point.

The battle now revolved around the hill, where the enemy had formed a semi-circle. After a couple minutes, some Union boys returned to attack my left so I was obliged to hold position. At this time the Iron Brigade returned and leading several wayward units behind them, struck my center and routed two regiments. But, quick thinking on Barksdale's part allowed my men to swing a regiment around and the whole line now resembled a "4" without the top right dash. Caught between two directions of fire, the Iron Brigade was decimated even further, as were their comrades, which had fumbled into the Veterans and created a mass of men without cohesion. Within a few minutes the volunteers broke and ran, and the Iron Brigade was left alone in that section of the field. Now without the added baggage, they refused their flank and began pouring heavy fire into us. But, the damage was already done. Their right broke leaving more than half their men behind. Their left tried to link up with the Bucktails which were still causing my men terrible damage, but they were also obliged to retreat, though they left with barely a third their original strength. Despite our good luck, the enemy was still in force along our lines, so neither side was able to help the other as of yet. But, very shortly later the other volunteer infantry was pushed away from the enemy lines, leaving only the Sharpshooters and the Bucktails on the left and mediocre troops on the right.

The enemy had move an artillery battery up onto the hill and began to fire down on us, but most of their right had collapsed and I pushed my men forward back to their original lines. Two regiments of Pennsylvania volunteers still fought with some spirit, but they were formed facing west, and were ineffective against Hood and Barksdale as they mowed down their lines. They broke and routed from the field. At this time only the Bucktails, a battery and some cavalry remained. Barksdale caught them as they limbered up and butchered them. The Bucktails and my right flank were now so close that reports tell of clothes catching fire as guns were fired. I had side shifted a zouvee regiment to try to catch their flank, and in their haste to drive off the boys in the area, the Bucktails charged my line.

At this time the enemy moved another battery on top of the hill in the woods along with Buford's cavalry and two of their last remaining regiments. We hit the hill from three sides, and routed them all. The Bucktails broke under the strain of combat, and we were left with the field. Around this time Second and Third Corps came up to my "aid". Any thought of resistance on the part of the enemy broke then. In half an hour of intense fighting, we captured 10 guns, wounded 3,000 men, killed 1,500 and captured 624 men. Among the captured was twenty-one lieutenants, twelve captains, five colonels, and two generals. Generals Weed and Doubleday.

Our losses were 1,500 wounded, 1,000 killed and 75 missing, presumed captured. Hood was injured when his horse was shot, Barksdale was killed by enemy cavalry.
    History of War Podcast

Episode 3: History of the Infantry

Finally got the game running. My first battle!

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by InferiorBaton View Post
    Finally got the game running. My first battle!

Your first battle and you didnt take any of our historical custom maps??
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Your first battle and you didnt take any of our historical custom maps??
    Haha sorry Hinkel! Just picked a random map to see if it worked correctly. I'll play one and post some just for you

Pics taken on the 1st Manassas map

Fantastic work, I'll have to show this to my dad he loves the civil war.

Libertus

My After Action Report

Type: Skirmish
    Map: 1st Manassas
    Generals: Confederate: Thomas Jackson, PGT Buereguard Union: Unknown
    Report: Buereguard sends his men to the Bridge to defend while Jackson sends his Brigade of 4 Regiments to cross the small creek and march down the creek to the union positions they decide to move slow because they are not in a hurry, meanwhile Buereguard's men are runing as fast as they can to the bridge (7 Regiments of Infantry and 4 Batteries of Artillary) the men gather at the southern end of the bridge and prepare to defend to the last man, the artillary sets up on a small mound just behind Buereguards men and the yanks charge at the infantry the yanks are able to rout all the infantry and artillary after a massive charge, by then jacksons men had taken up positions below a small mound on the unions side of the bridge just a few yards away from the stone house, jackson unlike buereguard was with his men while buereguard stayed in his tent, jackson had 2 regiments advance about 60 yards in front of the other 2 regimentsand fire in a volley, when the 2 front regiments started to take medium losses, jackson ordered the 2 to move back and let the other regiments fight, soon he ordered them to the top of the mound and had 3 regiments in front lining with the mound, and one regiment in reserve, after a few minutes he had his brigade rout all union units and the battle had been won.

Awesome mod. You guys should be proud.

Took this earlier. Some slight post-processing done in Photoshop.

A few random screenshots from my campaign (EDIT) added some new screenshots
    Last edited by Ransan309; August 10, 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Beautiful!

A few of your images you post mates will be used for the new homepage. if anyone feel uncomfortable with this please simple say a word, itīs not a problem.
    Thanks again for sharing your screens mates!

I totally forgot to show my dad these images, not sure if he will make it on to Total War though he loves his chessmaster9000.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

MM'S AAR/FICTION
    Introduction

As the grim prospect of War grew near, restless spirits started to haunt the land of Tennessee. Volunteer rifle companies were organized in every county, cries for state rights and those for republic mixed in the air. The tension was so great one could easily taste it in his mouth. Everybody knew something is about to happen, but what exactly? Will it come to War, or will the differences that now tore apart once coherent nation be settled behind the desks of Washington. Ernest J. Nicholson didn't like the slavery, but he also wasn't ready to die to free the slaves also. His family was now torn by politic schemes played in a distant Capital. True, violence had already erupted in the neighbouring Kentucky, and even in his county there were fires burnt, speeches made and men took up their arms. His wife, Madeline, came from the South and her father owned a few slaves. Although a benevolent master when he was en-charge, the plantation was now taken over by her brother Jethro Talbot who liked to put his slaves to the whip and regularly enjoyed company of his slave women. There was little love between Ernest and Jethro, but they never resorted to anything but words in defending their stances. But, now the time has come when words became futile...

April, 1861

The news of attack on and surrender of Fort Sumter took Ernest unprepared when he read his newspaper. He never believed that state rights would lead to something like this. Although, considering the events that unfolded in west Kentucky and north Tennessee this past months, hardly anyone could be surprised with what happened. For several months now, counties have been overflown with volunteers. Even Ernest joined the rifle company that was assembled from men from his parish. For now they only marched and learned how to load the weapons but ghastly fear of action was ever present in the companies camp. As things escalated in course of last months nothing else could be expected. When Confederates took over Fort Donelson, Fort Henry and Island No. 10 near New Madrid, it was evident that force will be the only thing that will drive them out. Things became even more tense once Confederate regiments started to flow into neighbouring counties. This made pro-South people brave. They pillaged and ran-sacked homes of Union sympathizers and even some old grievances and blood-feuds escalated.

For what Ernest knew, this part of country was already in a full war, well before the Fort Sumter was attacked. Blood was flowing like water in this once peaceful area.

As the month of April drew to its end, special task force was assembled outside Missouri with orders to check the advance and restrict the movement of Confederate army under command of general Picket and colonel Jethro Talbot. This force consisted of two Regular Infantry Regiments from Missouri, 2nd Wisconsin Rifle Regiment, two coloured regiments and two regiments of volunteers from Ernest's home area. The providence saw it fit that command of this fore was given to another Ernest Nicholson, from Iowa. The force set out from its camp on the 28th of April, 1861.

Ernest J. Nicholson was in command of the 2nd Volunteer Regiment from his county, and when the night fell on April 29 he was called to Brigadier's Nicholson tent to be debriefed about future moves and to discuss mos appropriate strategy. The following map was presented in Brigadier's tent:

As seen on map, two forces started from Missouri in order to deal with the Rebels. However, second force (armed with howitzers and larger in number) encountered some resistant from local Confederate Militia between St. Genevieve and Mississippi river and was therefore unable to advance further. Confederates attacked the column regularly from thick wood and caused considerable distress with task force's commander, Major Aulnick. With this in mind, Brigadier Nicholson suggested to cross the Ohio river at Paducah and to seek for enemy between Beamont and Fort Henry. Disposition and strength of enemy's forces was unknown, although reports were made that general Picket brought up Brigadier Rodes and his Alabama Brigade. Also, local information suggested that Confederates had only one battery of artillery (of unknown pieces) and that second column was moving from Memphis to New Madrid. However, immediate concern were general Picket's force marching from Jackson towards Columbus. They were now at Union City, resting for a final push North.

It was suggested at the meeting that terrain will play a vital role in the upcoming battle. Colonel Ernest J. Nicholson warned that risks shouldn't be taken lightly: "If we fail to stop Picket and Talbot here, there is no strong Union presence for many miles. We will leave all of our people on mercy to those Confederates. But, if we see an opportunity to utterly vanquish them, sir, then by God almighty we should take it!"

Brigadier Nicholson agreed and riders were immediately sent out to determine exact position of Confederate forces.

Pursuit

For next two weeks, brigadier Nicholson's force moved through forested and swampy areas of eastern Missouri, never venturing far from Mississippi river and always on tail Picket's force. Picket sensed that the way North was blocked so he turned his force west, towards the Hookinsville, Kentucky, trying to link up with Confederate forces from Fort Donelson and Clarksville.

Both forces were now moving very slow. Heat was a part of the problem. The other were diseases and constant invasion of various insects, from mosquitoes to lice size of a man's thumb. Healthy carried the sick and constant supply of fresh water was a necessity if any progress was to be made. Colonel J. Nicholson already lost 8 men without even firing a round. Some wild fever got them, and they were dead in a matter of days. However, the prospect of battle grew nearer every day as scouts reported that we were gaining on the rebels. Finally we caught up with them 50 miles south-east of Columbus. Scouts reported their force was slightly smaller then ours, but noticed Rodes' Alabamans among their forces.

Battle Deployment

With quick survey of the surroundings, brigadier Nicholson realized that Picket has positioned his men exceptionally well. They commanded the area from a hill to the North, and their artillery covered all of the approaches. Even so, Colonel J. Nicholson had suggested that a hill south-west of the Confederate position would offer good artillery position and approach to it was covered from enemy artillery fire. necessary preparations were made, regiments were organized in marching columns and horse artillery battery (six 6-lber guns) was ordered to hurry to that hill's summit and to engage enemy artillery and possibly infantry.

When regiments started to move, brigadier Nicholson and his Colonels rode to the front to pin-point the disposition of the troops when the battle starts. Following field was deemed to offer the best prospect of destroying the Confederates:

The following area was chosen as Brigade's anchor point. If our lines were to be broken and this hill captured, all of the regiments were to immediately disengage front he enemy and start their retreat towards North. The Regular Regiments were to provide necessary cover of the retreat.

In the meantime, captain Seymour's Light Battery managed to drive off Confederate guns and started to bombard their infantry to soften them up and to keep their heads down.

General Picket started to move his troops to counter our movement but his volunteers showed little discipline and what should take only a matter of minutes took some considerable time. From Confederate vantage point our line would look like this:

As our boys moved towards their position, we could hear the roar of our guns on top of the hill.

As we joined our troops,captain Seymour's artillery had mounted once again and waited for further orders.

When our lines deployed, our position looked like this:

The right flank was ordered to move behind the small incline in the terrain to avoid any fire from Confederate sharpshooters or line infantry and to bring the final stroke when called on!

Captain Seymour positioned his artillery behind coloured regiment on slight elevation for better vantage point and easier targeting.

At centre, our boys were anxious to start firing on Rebels.

Our left flank lay low to avoid enemy fire from sharpshooters.

Right flank was still on the move! They better hurry our we will be doomed! Double-quick men, double-quick!

Regiment of reserves held its distance!

Battle

The battle had started!

The Confederate zouaves advance with support of Rodes' Alabamans and local volunteers!

Picket tried to turn our flank, but he was in-successful!

His line got tangled again!

Our left flank moves out to stop Confederate sharpshooters from firing on our centre and to counter the move of another Alabama Regiment.

Meanwhile, right flank still keeps its ground.

Captain Seymour's artillery is pouring lead on the Confederates constantly!

He targets Rodes' Alabamans knowing they are Picket's best units!

As Confederates close in, captain Seymour changes from shrapnel to cannister shot. Coloured Regiment's accurate fire causes great casualties to the enemy!

Brigadier Nicholson orders right flank to move out. This causes Confederate line to break in the middle as their left flank turns to face our right flank!

Rodes' Alabamans (first regiment) heavily beaten by artillery fire and facing a flan attack from two fresh Union regiments flees leaving Confederate Zouaves struggling to keep their position and hopes of Confederates.

Valiant Zouaves give their best, but Confederate line is crumbling in other places too. Their efforts remain unsupported.

Finally, entire Confederate line breaks and flees the field!

Aftermath

From Colonel Ernest J. Nicholson's personal memoirs:

When the last of the Confederates surrendered or fled the field, brigadier Nicholson dismounted form his steed, wiped off his sweaty forehead and watched over this terrible field of carnage. Screams of the wounded and dying were carried far away, the powder was the only thing we could smell. I saw many young boys shaking; they seemed distant, detached, like some apparitions from other world. I pray to God to show them mercy so they could find their peace once again. But, how can a man find his peace after witnessing what we witnessed today?

I stood there, with the rest of my boys, when brigadier Nicholson came to me.
    "Colonel!"-he said "You did a good job today, you know? You and your boys both! Come, walk with me!" And I did. We descended to the field of battle, soaking up terrible wounds, bodies mutilated beyond recognition by canisters, bodies missing arms, legs, even heads. Our boots squealed when they press on the blood-soaked ground. In that in-godly festival of death I recognized a body of my brother in law, Jethro, still holding his regiments flag.

"I knew this man," I said, "he was my wife's brother."I am sorry for you, Colonel", said brigadier. "Why for Brigadier?" asked I, "I never even liked the man!" Those words hang in the air for few moments, and then, there on the field of carnage, we both started to laugh... Deep, sincere, almost childish laughter was echoing the valley were moments ago all you could hear was roar of guns and rattle of muskets!

Last edited by Minas Moth; August 27, 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Libertus

nice, to bad everything after the 4th battle photo was deleted