Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lesson 2 - Removing the Background

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Lesson 2 - Removing the background

Thanks Squid!
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    I'll point out something I realized, for step 6 in the second part of the tutorial you can just press delete and it will delete the entire selected area rather than having to use the eraser tool. In fact it removes the need for the transparent background layer. I'll post my work when I'm done.
    Really? I've never tried that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonsky
    Yeah, I cheated with that as well. Definitely easier than erasing.
    Erasing has it's upsides though. If you use the Eraser Tool with the "Hard edge" mode off your removal may be a little smoother because the eraser will partially erase pixels that are outside of the selection but very near the selection outline. That is not the case this time, however.

@Squid: Wonderful work - that is really a well-cut render (too bad it's not complete; that doesn't matter though, really good work)! Also the Color to Alpha sign is very good (and it's nice to see something else than a skull or a traffic sign).
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    I'll also point out for those not done yet, though I think its been mentioned already, that if the original image is not in a format that supports transparency, such as jpg, then before the erase/delete works in the second part of the lesson you need to add an alpha channel by right clicking on the original layer and selecting add alpha channel.
    Good job - I never realised the transparency support issue, as I had actually saved the warlord image as PNG. Then I pasted it to a new image. I think I should add that to the lesson content!

@King Bumi (dammit, change your name back ): Very good.

@megalitho: Beautiful work! And no, you weren't late.

I'm planning to post Lesson 3 today. There are still two people who are yet to complete Lesson 2:
    Both of their cases have been dealt with so practically everyone has completed this lesson. Very good!
    Last edited by Goofy; May 12, 2012 at 09:14 AM.

SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Content Emeritus

original

new

Original

New

HOUSE OF HADER

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

First pic is collage of before and after "Color to Alpha."

Color to Alpha

Color to Alpha 2: Colorized background, and foreground to Alpha

Arrgghhh!! The "free select tool" exercise was a pain! I'm using the 2.6.whatever the prof suggested; set the preferences and restarted GIMP; followed the updated directions meticulously; and still got the white background that others complained about. Tried the control-X technique, then create transparent backround and paste to it; but that didn't work either.

I had managed to turn the cutout portion all white; so, in desparation, I tried turning white to alpha for the entire pic. That ALMOST worked (see second pic) but the background bleeds through: Passable on our almost flesh-colored background, but probably not so great on a green background.

After a few other failed attempts...

Finally, I went back to the original and made multiple cutout selections. For each selection, turned the selection white and then "color (white) to alpha" for the selection. See third pic.

So, as it stands, I think I can get the desired effect of the technique, but for me it is a two-step process after I make the background: color selection to white; then change white in the selection to alpha.

I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Free Select Tool

Original

Turning white to alpha for entire pic, after turning unwanted portions to white. Normally I'd clean up the borders; but I was too busy getting exasperated trying to master the point of the lesson...

Select non-avatar, then turn selection to white, then turn white in selection to alpha. Notice the difference in skin tone and dress color between pics 2 and 3.

Last edited by NobleNick; May 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Domesticus
    Artifex

@SonofPeverel: Good work (and a surprising choice for the second image)!

@NobleNick: Great work, especially with the Free Select Tool part.
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleNick
    Arrgghhh!! The "free select tool" exercise was a pain! I'm using the 2.6.whatever the prof suggested; set the preferences and restarted GIMP; followed the updated directions meticulously; and still got the white background that others complained about. Tried the control-X technique, then create transparent backround and paste to it; but that didn't work either.

had managed to turn the cutout portion all white; so, in desparation, I tried turning white to alpha for the entire pic. That ALMOST worked (see second pic) but the background bleeds through: Passable on our almost flesh-colored background, but probably not so great on a green background.

After a few other failed attempts...

Finally, I went back to the original and made multiple cutout selections. For each selection, turned the selection white and then "color (white) to alpha" for the selection. See third pic.

So, as it stands, I think I can get the desired effect of the technique, but for me it is a two-step process after I make the background: color selection to white; then change white in the selection to alpha.

I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong.
    I must still add to the lesson content that you should first save the image to be rendered as PNG.

I can't exactly get your problem, but did you try the transparent layer trick? That should work. Also you could try using that "Add Alpha Channel" command Squid and Bolkonsky were talking about - I have actually never noticed that option because I have never needed it.

Good work on this lesson, everyone - only MBA is still to hand his homework. Also, Lesson 3 is now going on.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Påsan_1
    Original

GIMP'ed

Påsan_2
    Original

GIMP'ed
    Err.. I'm not on the list but I did complete the lesson.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Default Re: Lesson 2 - Removing the Background

Yeah, it seems I missed you due to those image uploading issues we had. I'll add you there soon - thanks for correcting me.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: Lesson 2 - Removing the Background

No problem mate :

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234