Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lesson 1 - Colours: Basic Techniques

Default Re: Lesson 1 - Colours: Basic techniques

OK, here's mine.

Grand Canyon

Here's the original:

And here's mine:

What I tried to do was give it a canvas-y look. I did this by desaturating the reds and playing with the curves to avoid sacrificing as much of the sky's blue color as possible.

Jungle

Here's the original:

Here's mine:

I thought there was too much green in the original, and tried to shift the focus of the image to the water, by bolding the blues and cyan, while slightly desaturating the greens.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Your water is pink.

Adjust your monitor's color.

(I was more focusing on the water pools.)
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Domesticus
    Artifex

@✧Rarity✧: Good work as always!

@Beorn: Wonderful photo - both edited and unedited!

@SonofPeverel: Great work!

@MasterBigAb: You have done good work with editing the images. However, you should pay more attention to image saving - I think you saved them as JPG, and they are low-quality because of that. You should always save your images as PNG.

@Bolkonsky: Excellent work and great ideas! You seem to have played with the colours in quite an intelligent way. And the pinkness doesn't matter that much, even if the image may be better without that.

I'm glad to announce that every single one of you have now completed Lesson 1!
    Last edited by Goofy; May 09, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    @Squid: Very good. In the first picture the horizon is messed up a little - you see the bright pixels - but apart from that, very good. The second photo was a great choice by the way!
    That horizon issue is because I used some of the techniques after selecting just the sky, but my selection was a little inaccurate. The second photo was of the badlands in Alberta Canada and having been there on a bright sunny day, which is most days in the summer, the original didn't really show how blindingly bright it is to look at the scenery.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

NobleNick's Avatar Artifex

Hello all!

And a big thank you to Goofy (and Hader) for letting me join the class. I've been following along, and trying the exercises; but have been unable to post (until now). I will try to catch up quickly.

Seashore

Brightness and Contrast adjusted, as noted, in the second pic.

Pools

I see that my notes (red lettering) in the second pic got blurred. I adjusted the shadows and midranges slightly (+/-15) to get more green in the grass and aqua in the pools.

Canyon

The original is top and altered image at bottom. I adjusted the colors using the curves tool. Didn't know what I was doing, just playing around. Finally got the bottom image, which made the phrase "Vanilla Sky" pop to mind. Looks sort of post-apocalyptic: I like it.

Sleds

First up, as requested by the professor, the original

Here is a trio of pics in one. First is the original, then adjusted for brightness and contrast. The last pic is same as the second, but with a little red and yellow added to the midrange.

Last edited by NobleNick; May 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM.

Domesticus
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    That horizon issue is because I used some of the techniques after selecting just the sky, but my selection was a little inaccurate. The second photo was of the badlands in Alberta Canada and having been there on a bright sunny day, which is most days in the summer, the original didn't really show how blindingly bright it is to look at the scenery.
    That was somewhat what I thought as well, although you can just see those same pixels in the original photo as well. No matter what it was great work from you, though. And I can believe the scenery is great!

@NobleNick: Good work, plus it's nice to see you were eager to improve multiple photos.

To everyone else: As you can see I let NobleNick in on a case decision. After this, however, no applications will be received - it's too late now as Lesson 3 is running.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234