Thread: Kingdom of Jerusalem mini add-on

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Kingdom of Jerusalem mini add-on

I was bored, so I dug up some old skins, changed the Zirid Berbers to the Kingdom of Jerusalem and implemented them into the campaign. All in a morning's work. Don't expect anything grand; heck, the description below was most of the work, I think

Description
    Four years ago, at the council of Clermont, the pope called for a holy war against the heathens who were supposedly harassing Christian pilgrims travelling to Jerusalem. In reality, the pope's call to arms was mainly a result of a letter sent by the Roman emperor, Alexios Komnenos, who called upon the pope - whom he viewed as the leader of the barbarian "Latin" world - for help against the Seljuk Turks, who were advancing deep into Anatolia. Alexious expected a small task force of knights and men-at-arms who would serve under him. Little did he know that the Pope's call for a holy war would lead to such a massive reaction in western Europe. A vast horde of peasants and lowly knights amassed and started their long journey towards Jerusalem, passing through Byzantine lands. The unorderly "crusaders" pillaged and plundered at will, and massacred everyone who didn't look christian in their eyes; not even Greek christians were spared! However, when this supposed army arrived in Anatolia, they were quickly swept away by the swift Seljuk riders.

Luckily for Alexios and his subjects, this wasn't the only force that had been gathered. While the peasant's crusade was already marching east, smaller forces of high-ranking nobles and their retainers started moving towards Byzantium. Led by small groups of influential knights like Raimond de Toulouse, Godefroy de Bouillon and Stephen de Blois, these armies were primarily composed of second and third sons of dukes, counts and barons, who often found themselves with no fiefs due to the law in Frankish lands that all heritage should pass to the firstborn son, leaving the latecomers with no wealth of their own.
    Alexios knew that he had to prevent these individual forces from forming one large army in front of his gates, so each time a small Crusader force would arrive in Byzantium, Alexios would demand that its leader swear allegiance to the Byzantines and that the crusaders should return any ex-Byzantine cities they conquered to the Empire.

Eventually, the crusader forces gathered in Asia and formed a huge army of some 30 000- 35 000, of which the largest contingent belonged to Raymond de Toulouse, who had a force of some 8500 infantry and 1200 cavalry.
    This army arrived in the Holy Land in 1097 after a harsh journey through the Anatolian highland. Baldwin de Flandres broke off from the main crusader army in order to consolidate a county for himself in Edessa. This would become the first crusader state. The main army continued marching and arrived before the gates of Antioch, to which they laid siege on 20 October, 1097. In may 1098, a Seljuk relief force had been sighted marching towards Antioch. To resolve the issue as quickly as possible, Bohemond of Taranto bribed an Armenian guard by the name of Firuz to surrender his tower, allowing the crusaders to open the gates and march into the city.

The crusaders continued their march towards Jerusalem after recovering for a few months in Antioch; Bohemond was left to take care of the city as Prince of Antioch. In 1099, the Crusaders reached the walls of Jerusalem and immediately started sieging it. Blockading the city was not an option, as many crusaders had died on the way leaving only a small force of about 12 000 men including about 1500 cavalry. The first assault on the city failed, and morale dropped; the crusaders were exhausted and the surrounding countryside lacked food or water supplies. A solution would have to present itself in order for the Crusade to be successful.

This did in the form of a Genoese mariner corps, who arrived at Jaffa on the 17th of June. This provided the crusaders with enough engineers and timber (from the ships) to build siege engines. The final assault on the 13th of July was a success; the troops of Raymond de Toulouse attacked form the south while the others attacked from the north. The Provençals in the south initially had little success, but those in the north managed to slowly break through the defenders. On the 15th of July, a final push ensured the crusaders of their victory, and on the 22nd of July the Kingdom of Jerusalem was formed in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, with Godefroy de Bouillon as its "princeps", since he refused to take the title of king.

Your situation as the Kingdom of Jerusalem is dire at best. Many of the remaining soldiers of the first crusade have begun their journey home, leaving the newly founded kingdom with a tiny base of manpower from which to recruit new soldiers. Your units are amongst the finest in the world, however, and you have access to a great selection of heavy cavalry in the from of knights, and later even the orders like the Templars and the Hospitallers. However, these men are not readily available, and should a large Seljuk or Arab sultanate emerge in the area, chances are your kingdom will be overrun by superiour numbers. The county of Edessa and the Principality of Antioch are still friendly to you, but even they will probably take any oppertunity to expand their own power base whenever possible, and will use their backings in France and Sicily to aid that goal.

If the Kingdom of Jerusalem is to thrive as a state, measures will have to be taken; new crusaders need to be drawn to the Levant, and your holdings need to be consolidated. Historically, Jerusalem was taken by the Ayyub Sultan Salah-ad-Din (Saladin) by the end of this period; will history take a turn with the kingdom of heaven in your hands? Will you be able to create a thriving state in the Levant? Or will you be overrun by Seljuks and Egyptians? Only time will tell...

Some Features
    - Replaces the Zirid Berber faction with the Kingdom of Jerusalem; the county of Edessa and the principality of Antioch are still in the hands of the Norman and Western-Frank factions.

- The Kingdom has access to the regular crusade roster plus a few added units, like the Feudal Men-at-arms who were previously only recruitable in Europe but can now be recruited in the levant by the KoJ as well

- The Area of Recruitment is still the same, though, so don't expect to steamroll the near east with stacks upon stacks of knights. You'll face the same problems the actual Kings of Jerusalem faced.

Install Instructions
    These are also included in a separate readme file, since this forum is apparently filled with dummies that don't bother to read this fieldset

1. Make sure you have a clean, unmodified installation of Rome - Total War version 1.5

2. Make sure you have the latest Chivalry - Total War version (1.07)

2b (optional). If you want to be able to play the Zirid Berber faction in Chivalry again later on, create a backup of your "Chivalry" folder.

3. Unzip the downloaded zip file, containing this readme, and move its contents - this file and a "Chivalry" folder - to your Rome - Total War directory (i.e. "C:/Program Files (x86)/The Creative Assembly/Rome - Total War")

4. Overwrite all

5. Launch the game and select the Crusader Epoche (CE) campaign

Have fun
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; May 04, 2012 at 09:13 AM.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Kingdom of Jerusalem mini add-on

Nice idea. Going to try it soon, I hope

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

will try it , good work

I download it, works great...but at recruitment was an problem after 80 turns when I made an army I conquer Gaza and some near by city's I think was Acre, and I could't recruit units just mercenaries 1 type, even 20-30 turns after when I upgrade the town to city-large city didn't worked, just 2 city's was able to recruit Jerusalem and Tripoli...and in 130 turns I was over pressed by both Muslims and pofed my empire ) I beleve was Saladin .
    Great change

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Nice one Bull

Signature made by Joar

I download it, works great...but at recruitment was an problem after 80 turns when I made an army I conquer Gaza and some near by city's I think was Acre, and I could't recruit units just mercenaries 1 type, even 20-30 turns after when I upgrade the town to city-large city didn't worked, just 2 city's was able to recruit Jerusalem and Tripoli...and in 130 turns I was over pressed by both Muslims and pofed my empire ) I beleve was Saladin .
    Great change
    Yeah, that's part of the challenge; Gaza and the city near that (certainly not Acre, at least) were not part of the crusader AoR in Chiv vanilla either, and I have made no changes to that. The Kingdom of Jerusalem depended highly on its all-time-small Latin population, and the only parts of the near east where Latin immigrants (French, English, Germans) went to were the crusader states; Jerusalem, Tripoli, Antioch and, at the very beginning, Edessa. To reflect this. The Crusader AoR only spans those regions.

I might expand this little mod a bit when I have some more time

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze View Post
    I might expand this little mod a bit when I have some more time
    Yea you should it's look cool and it's another mod about Kingdom of Jerusalem I played before, well till I got crash after crash I think 1 day, they had good texture's on it. I think was Rome Medieval,and put more city's to be able to recruit units.
    1 question: Till what turn you go faar with Jerusalem? without using codes?

Yea you should it's look cool and it's another mod about Kingdom of Jerusalem I played before, well till I got crash after crash I think 1 day, they had good texture's on it. I think was Rome Medieval,and put more city's to be able to recruit units.
    Yeah, probably Rome Medieval. The choice between Rome Medieval or Chivalry Total War is really one of tastes, since our priorities differ: Rome Medieval is an incarnation of Medieval 2 on the Rome engine, and tries to portray the entire medieval era on the Rome engine, while Chivalry aims for the highly-accurate portrayal of just one part of the Middle Ages
    1 question: Till what turn you go faar with Jerusalem? without using codes?
    I did get quite far (1160s or so) by raiding the Egyptian and Seljuk cities every now and then, and by taking Antioch, Tripoli and Edessa as well, as those cities give you quite a boost in manpower.
    Keep in mind that it's just a little thing I did because I was bored; I never had the intention of making a giant all-inclusive mod about the crusader states. As I said, I might expand on it sooner or later

Well you should continue because it's looks great, and just one thing I meet the problem here and in normal chivalry, some times it's crash at the end turn I don't know why but, when I reload the game and I change something before I press end turn (like moving an diplomat in another way,or an army, or canceling an construction) is working, just some times it simple get crash at the end turn.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Nice one, Bull
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Is this still available? Where can I download it?