Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Company of Heroes 2

alexanderswift's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Company of Heroes 2 confirmed.

Aye indeed. So much of WWII is ignored it can hardly be overused. Personally if they did Italy I'd love to see a Canadian faction or at least instead of an American faction have it as an allied one with units from different nations.

I'm not sure about North Africa though, they did the Brits before in Opposing Fronts and they were pretty lame.

I hope they stick to the Ostfront for the main game though. That could make for one hell of a ride. Imagine Stalingrad in CoH? Too awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    Don't try and kill my internet joy.

It is all I have.

Well, they better produce a very good and finished game. Beating Blitzkrieg and Eastern Front, though they are "just" mods, is certainly not an easy task at all.

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Yeah, Blitzkrieg has become my preferred way to play the game. It's just better than the vanilla versions in almost every way. I'd be impressed if they can top it.
    "Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

The Edain's Avatar Vicarius

My reaction upon reading title:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My reaction upon reading OP:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

On a serious note. I've always wanted to play Russian's on COH, without resorting to mods that is
    |Windows 7 user||College Student|
    |Anime Fan||Xbox 360 Owner|Photoshop user|

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

I hope, they bring back the original voice actors for the German faction, love those guys and their lines.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderswift View Post
    The defenses are great, I love the defenses. I love the bunkers, the medic stations (especially them) the tank traps barbed wire etc etc. That's not what I meant. It's the depots and barracks and all that crap that you have to build to make units that bugs me.
    Except that is an excellent way of minimizing the micromanaging of base building (a la supcom or Starcraft) without losing it completely. You can do quick base rushes that set back the other sides teching, or other stuff

Well that's just different experiences I suppose.
    I probably have 5000 games of CoH if not more, more than a few of them at the most competitive level. This is how its supposed to be played, vire river valley type crap is not CoH

As it stands the only part of CoH that is CoH and not every other RTS in that style is the combat so why would editing the bit that's the same every game make it less so?
    No, its the combination of small base building with the territory control aspect for resources.

Last I checked they weren't rolling tanks off the factory floor right onto the battlefield in WWII so no it really doesn't make any sense so you can't say that's an opinion.
    Gameplay trumps realism every time

I just want something less standard, everything else is brilliant but the base building makes it so boring. I sincerely hope it's changed. At least let the player choose where they want to put it, or make it less bulky and easier to manage. I want to be able to focus on the combat and creating choke points with defenses not trying to find a place for another bloody unit production building in the huge mass of unit production buildings that is my base.
    Assuming that you build every single base building you have at most what, 5 of the things? You call this a huge mass?

Quote Originally Posted by HardStyles View Post
    I love base building in Coh, fortifying emplacements, setting up mines, blocking access to certain areas, you know stuff like that.... Only to get my base ruined by a spam of Nazi tanks........

I hope that in Coh2, defending, fortifying and securing your base has a bigger purpose.
    You are doing it wrong, you should never have that much of an emphasis on base defense.
    Last edited by Nevins; May 04, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNelson666 View Post
    I hope, they bring back the original voice actors for the German faction, love those guys and their lines.

Agreed, I hope Relic will hire Kai Wulff again to do voice acting for the German units. He did a fantastic job as the Wehrmacht grenadier.

Last edited by Antissa; May 04, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

I like the weird article writing style of kotaku. The subject and the importantst in the article is always somewhere hidden xD

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

I'm certainly looking forward to this new edition hopefully it will be ready sometime late 2013 !.

I expect the Russian Tank commander to go "Pride of the Motherland" or I'll be very disappointed!

Though, nothing will beat:

"Hah! Zey are zcratching your paintjob, Helmut!"

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    I expect the Russian Tank commander to go "Pride of the Motherland" or I'll be very disappointed!

Nah, you got to listen to the small talk the units have with each other. Next time you are watching a replay and there is some down time zoom in on a squad, sometimes when Rifleman run by a dead cow on Angoville one of the Americans yells something along the lines of "Betsy! No!"

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Stoooooooooooked!
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

That quote is a classic

Nah, you got to listen to the small talk the units have with each other. Next time you are watching a replay and there is some down time zoom in on a squad, sometimes when Rifleman run by a dead cow on Angoville one of the Americans yells something along the lines of "Betsy! No!"
    Oh yes, definitely, there are some amusing idle talk between squad members.

I heard the British are carrying umbrellas to stop their snipers from killing them.
    They call this operation Market Garden; where do they come up with all these names?
    I heard this invasion is Montgomery's plan, I expect we should win a quick victory
    Don't get captured by the Canadians, they are savages.
    Do you have a cigarette? My oppa says they're bad for me, but I believe Tommy's bullets are worse.
    Panzergrenadier (idle)

We're now in peak shape for ass kicking.
    Panzergrenadier achieving max veterancy

You're paid to kill, not dig trenches with your face!
    Grenadiers recovering from suppression

We've captured the point, but you know they're coming back!
    Grenadiers capturing a point after a prolonged engagement

You get in, or you're walking back to Berlin, Müller.
    Grenadiers loading onto a halftrack:

Nice to know you can just throw my life away for a little gas!
    Grenadiers capturing fuel point under heavy fire

Listen up lads, the armchair general has some words of wisdom for us.
    British Lieutenant (annoyed)

Although prepared for martyrdom, I'd prefer it to be postponed.
    British soldier (idle)
    Last edited by Antissa; May 04, 2012 at 10:23 PM.

Kilo's Avatar Semisalis

Yes! Finally! I'm so excited for this! xD

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    Except that is an excellent way of minimizing the micromanaging of base building (a la supcom or Starcraft) without losing it completely. You can do quick base rushes that set back the other sides teching, or other stuff
    It just gets tedious when it never changes.

I probably have 5000 games of CoH if not more, more than a few of them at the most competitive level. This is how its supposed to be played, vire river valley type crap is not CoH
    The AI would beg to differ.

No, its the combination of small base building with the territory control aspect for resources.
    Territory control maybe, the base building is incredibly generic and functions virtually the same as dozens of other games.

Gameplay trumps realism every time
    It shouldn't ignore realism entirely when there is a perfectly simple alternative.

Assuming that you build every single base building you have at most what, 5 of the things? You call this a huge mass?
    Since they're all in one sector which on most maps is pretty small it gets a bit unwieldy.

Let's just agree to disagree, it's an awesome game and hopefully the next one will be too. All I can say is now I have an urge to dig up my copy of the original and get back into it.

It is all I have.

Thatīs jolly good news indeed. And they made the right choice using the russians.

Now letīs see how they will handle base building and map control. But what makes COH different from other games is itīs squad mechanics and above all, the retreat dynamic. Which is arguably the less realistic thing the game has, but itīs totally necessary for gameplay. Itīs what allows for the whole metagame of keeping squads alive and earning veterancy; itself a key part of why the game is so fun. You care about units, unlike Starcraft where you really donīt care if you lost 1500 siege tanks. If your riflemen couldnīt run away from an Ostwind...

Maskedblood's Avatar Laetus

Damn can't wait, I will defiantly be watching this more closely now.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderswift View Post
    It just gets tedious when it never changes.
    For you perhaps, but look at starcraft 1/2. Exact same thing and played zillions of times. Change for the sake of change is not always good.

The AI would beg to differ.
    Anyone who talks about the AI representing play style is insane. The AI in CoH is not capable of doing anything beyond spamming jeeps and AT guns and running them into your base. Its border line retarded.

Territory control maybe, the base building is incredibly generic and functions virtually the same as dozens of other games.
    Except that it is the synergy of the map control with the base building that makes it unique. Why is this so hard to grasp.

It shouldn't ignore realism entirely when there is a perfectly simple alternative.
    Realism should be ignored in every instance that violates gameplay, and if you want to talk about realism you are going to spend what, points to call in each unit? That sounds realistic, single units popping into existence on the edge of the map.

Since they're all in one sector which on most maps is pretty small it gets a bit unwieldy.
    The only map that it has issues with is the south start of Langres, and thats only because of the stupidly oversized PE buildings.

Miles

A shame. I want them to make Homeworld 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevins View Post
    For you perhaps, but look at starcraft 1/2. Exact same thing and played zillions of times. Change for the sake of change is not always good.
    Star Craft pulls the base building off a lot better imo as it is a very different style of game.

Anyone who talks about the AI representing play style is insane. The AI in CoH is not capable of doing anything beyond spamming jeeps and AT guns and running them into your base. Its border line retarded.
    The AI really isn't THAT bad, predictable yes. But not that bad. If not the AI then what dictates the play style? Meta-gamers?

Except that it is the synergy of the map control with the base building that makes it unique. Why is this so hard to grasp.
    Well that's your opinion.

Realism should be ignored in every instance that violates gameplay, and if you want to talk about realism you are going to spend what, points to call in each unit? That sounds realistic, single units popping into existence on the edge of the map.
    ... In case you are unfamiliar with the fabric of reality, generally when you enter one arbitrarily picked zone of the world (the map) you enter from one edge of it before continuing onward. If you actually think soldiers coming in from another area to the area in which the battle is taking place is less realistic than having buildings the size of a small tent (or bunker at most) with an never ending supply of soldiers inside I really don't think you understand the concept of realism.

The points would function as requisition, the further the battle escalates the more points you have access to and the more men can be committed. It makes more sense than apparently having all of the armies in WWII forgetting to bring gas and ammo to the battlefield so you have to capture depots of it which dot the french country side for some reason.

It is all I have.