Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Company of Heroes 2

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Company of Heroes II - open beta (Steam)

Will give it a try, liked the first game, was great fun to play with a friend. sadly he doesnt have a very good computer so wouldnt be able to handle this one.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

It plays OK on my system:

Intel Core i7 Extreme processor 975(3.33GHz,8MB L2 cache,6.4GT/sec)
    Memory : 6144MB (3 x 2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri-Channel
    Graphics : 2GB EVGA GTX670 FTW
    Audio : Xonar D2X
    Monitor: Dell 3008WFP (2560x1600 native resolution)

In the battles I had on one occasion I was getting messages that the second player's settings were causing them lag and then they dropped out.

I looked at my 'defaut' settings and they were quite low.

I changed them to medium and the following are the results:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I then changed them to the highest and got these results (the frame rate did not seem to drop that low):

I guess will try the medium settings (with high IMage Quality) and see what it's like in-game.....

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Company of Heroes 2

How do I play Russian? I feel German bunker system is quite OP overall...
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

How do I play Russian? I feel German bunker system is quite OP overall...
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Charge and use their giant mortars.

I find Panzergrenadier swarm with Sturg is unbeatable...

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    I find Panzergrenadier swarm with Sturg is unbeatable...
    I find bullets and giant bombs falling from the sky tend to beat those lol.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Panzergrenadiers got nerfed at least though since closed beta. I feel they still need to make their assault rifles an upgrade. And also consider changing their assault rifles to MP-40s. Having a squad start out with automatic weapons is definitely against the nature of the game.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    I find bullets and giant bombs falling from the sky tend to beat those lol.
    If you have enough bullets and giant bombs for that; besides Stug is ridiculous resistant when facing Soviet AT weapons.

with how much I spam conscripts and MG's, yeah I have enough bullets usually. When it comes to tanks I usually just bum rush them with conscripts and AT gernades, once their immobilized I'll just have a group of anti-tank rifles slowly pick away at them. Though yes, the Panzergrenadier is a real ***** lol

Russian PTRS rifles have the same dps as schrecks. People also seem to ignore them. Have you tried using guards against stugs?

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The first time I played it, I dont like , but now I think that I can't back to the old one. They just have to tweak some stats, put a ecran icon for the selected units groups, as they did in original game, and made the units a little less diffuse , and the game will reach the prefection. Note that base rush is much hard now, u cant have a unlimited number of tanks, because your man power will go down if you have a large army, and the out of map artillery don't cause a massive destruction.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Now they have more maps,someones are the same but with or without snow,and a small part of the campaign,I find the game fantastic,and Reliq a example to follow by other companies,in particular by CA.

Quote Originally Posted by pajomife View Post
    Now they have more maps,someones are the same but with or without snow,and a small part of the campaign,I find the game fantastic,and Reliq a example to follow by other companies,in particular by CA.
    I made a topic about how differently Relic was treating its fans pre-release compared to CA and pretty much no one agreed with me, insisting that COH 2 was an MP game with balancing needs and therefore the alpha trial, closed beta, open beta, and now extended open beta - are all appropriate for COH 2 but not Rome II. While that's true to some extent, we now have confirmation Rome II won't even have a pre-release demo, and I am 99% certain CA would benefit greatly from something like this being sent out to all players who play a game against the AI:

Apparently the cheap thing to do with the Soviets now is to pile units (snipers, flame engineers) into their early light halftrack (known as a clown car). Putting a sniper team in one of those things is pretty brutal early in the game for Germans to deal with or so I've been reading. I've finally played a few games against humans (3v3) and it's been pretty funny. A man can only comp-stomp so much.

Yeah apparently the flammentrack got nerfed hard enough that the clown car can actually defeat it one on one. And the clown car is faster. And flames don't melt the snipers inside the clown car. This leaves the clown car counter as tier 3 tanks, given that an AT gun will be sniped by the men inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    It plays OK on my system:

Intel Core i7 Extreme processor 975(3.33GHz,8MB L2 cache,6.4GT/sec)
    Memory : 6144MB (3 x 2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Tri-Channel
    Graphics : 2GB EVGA GTX670 FTW
    Audio : Xonar D2X
    Monitor: Dell 3008WFP (2560x1600 native resolution)

In the battles I had on one occasion I was getting messages that the second player's settings were causing them lag and then they dropped out.

I looked at my 'defaut' settings and they were quite low.

I changed them to medium and the following are the results:

I then changed them to the highest and got these results (the frame rate did not seem to drop that low):

I guess will try the medium settings (with high IMage Quality) and see what it's like in-game.....
    Speaking of optimization, my system is very similar to yours except i have a little more power on the processing end and an ati radehon hd 6950 4gb graphics card.

I get maybe a little bit better fps than you, but i would say this game is poorly optimized. In closed beta, i ran much better fps and the game felt overall smoother.

When dealing with alots of mortars, artillerys, tanks charging, flamethrowers going and grenades exploding, if you hover over that area, it can definitely stutter.

I hope by release they smooth this out to run on systems because i should be able to max out graphics, though I am pretty close to doing so it still even gets lag with medium settings.

It just gets me that the game runs rougher on the open beta than closed, but other than that the game is alot of fun, different feel than coh 1 and its expansions but still definitely has that coh/wh40kdow feel.

After reading the pc gamer review I'm kinda annoyed they are trying to charge me £39.99 for a game that doesn't even have in-engine cue scenes. According to pc gamer they look very low budget FMV's.
    After Homeworld and Company Of Heroes in-engine cuscenes it seems like a huge step backwards. Don't think I will pick this one up till a steam sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoBo1 View Post
    After reading the pc gamer review I'm kinda annoyed they are trying to charge me £39.99 for a game that doesn't even have in-engine cue scenes. According to pc gamer they look very low budget FMV's.
    After Homeworld and Company Of Heroes in-engine cuscenes it seems like a huge step backwards. Don't think I will pick this one up till a steam sale.
    You really put that much stock in cutscenes? No disrespect, but you know the game is supposed to be played, right? This isn't Metal Gear. Cutscenes will probably fill up .0001% of your COH 2 experience...

Everyone has their own priorities, sure, but "bad cutscenes" is kind of a silly reason to discount a multiplayer-oriented real time strategy game.

I didn't really care for the PC Gamer review. I believe they mentioned MP in passing, maybe a sentence or two. Yeah, the campaign is important for many gamers, but a lot of COH 2 players will skip the campaign entirely, and most others will play it once then turn to Theater of War, Skirmish, and hopefully, PvP. As with the original, that's the heart of the game and the review barely mentioned it. 80% seems awfully low to me and doesn't exactly "encourage" more quality RTS games, which IMO the PC market needs at the moment.

dom385's Avatar Senator

Anyone played minsk pocket as the russians? I just about held my own (still lost) but it was a real struggle. It really negates russian strategy since you either have to flank or use overwhelming force but it's all really tight passages and all the flanking routes go too near the enemy base. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33 View Post
    You really put that much stock in cutscenes? No disrespect, but you know the game is supposed to be played, right? This isn't Metal Gear. Cutscenes will probably fill up .0001% of your COH 2 experience...
    Actually, since you mention Metal Gear Solid. I remember that around 1998 and alot of people praising it for being cinematic Relic made Homeworld which to me, was far more cinematic while also having great gameplay to go with it. Rather than feeling like sterile skimishes it had context, scope and emotional weight. Yea, I do invest alot into cutscenes and story, it's one of strategy games weakest points and something Relic excel at extremely well.

And honestly, if I'm dropping £39.99 (typical pc game price £29.99) and it's went from high quality in-engine cutscenes to poor pre-rendered cutscenes that look like they came from a low budget paradox game, yea man, sure as hell I'm going to take issue.