Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 722232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Company of Heroes 2

Default Re: Company of Heroes 2

The issue is not 'ignoring' soviet crimes. The issue is that the game's story takes a grain of truth and twists it to absurd levels and the result is a caricature- and stereotype-laden portrayal of the soviet union that rivals the worst of not only cold war-era hollywood, but, in some places, Goebbels himself.

You might think it's not a big deal, that people are over-reacting, etc. But there is not a single family in the former USSR that does not have a living memory of loved ones who suffered immeasurably during the war. And the way this game depicts events and distorts reality makes mockery of that generation.

And apart from this, the sad fact is that, even though it is 'just a game', a fictionalised portrayal of history, much of its audience is not going to know any better. The eastern front is traditionally little-known to the western public anyway, and so, like it or not, there is a degree of responsibility on the developer to depict the events in a dignified way, even if they are fictionalised. You do not even need to white-wash anything or go out of your way to give a positive spin -- like the guy in the video said, Red Orchestra offers a very good depiction of events. It is not pro-soviet; it is just dignified.

CoH2, however, just falls into dumb stereotypes and sensationalised depictions of a reality that is so brutal that it does not need embellishing. It belongs with the rest of the 'creative' Orientalist trash that has consistently belittled and degraded non-westerners. That it does so unintentionally just points to the developers' ignorant and reductive worldview.
    Last edited by ivan_the_terrible; August 06, 2013 at 02:13 AM.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Sales halted in Russia and other CIS countries. Seriously, Its just a game you'd think the Eastern Front is still fresh in their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    Sales halted in Russia and other CIS countries. Seriously, Its just a game you'd think the Eastern Front is still fresh in their minds.
    Old habits never change. It is just a legacy of soviet censorship. Russians like to ignore truth about dark parts of their history.

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    The issue is not 'ignoring' soviet crimes. The issue is that the game's story takes a grain of truth and twists it to absurd levels and the result is a caricature- and stereotype-laden portrayal of the soviet union that rivals the worst of not only cold war-era hollywood, but, in some places, Goebbels himself.

CoH2, however, just falls into dumb stereotypes and sensationalised depictions of a reality that is so brutal that it does not need embellishing.
    Actually everything portrayed in the game is based on historical documents and memories of people who survived during soviet regime. Deal with it.

It's a video game developed in the West, by the West, for the willfully ignorant and arrogant West. What did the Russians expect?

King_Porus's Avatar Senator

Played the closed beta and wasn't impressed by the ridiculously stereotypical way the Eastern Front is portrayed, not to mention the fact that this plays like a COH 1.5. Well I guess that's what I get for trusting a western company to portray anything Eastern realistically.

They'd probably have been better off sticking with an American/British Empire theatre like the Pacific or Italy/North Africa.

Pavlik the Rus's Avatar Civitate

Салют Ваня
    Do you have any idea what font can be used to post words about undeniable crimes of SU, to stop this holy wariors?
    Jaketh
    Not quite. 1C stoped their sales of disk versions. Meantime steam version is still available. Unfortunatly. I hope that 2nd petition will work soon.
    Actually everything portrayed in the game is based on historical documents and memories of people who survived during soviet regime. Deal with it.
    Yes, my favorite part of this documents is marshal Vasilevsky's quote, taken from WW1 period. Truth indeed.

Old habits never change. It is just a legacy of soviet censorship.
    Looks like you have bad knowledge about SU. I'll tell you something.
    People signed petition to the 1C. Because of people's will (and greatly droped sales level of a game) 1C removed this game from their stores. Without any contribution from the state. I assure you, that soviet censorship was absolutly different

Shamshir
    My friend, russian comunity was 3rd comunity of CoH (taken from relic's words) Be free to play without our intervention.

Under patronage of respectable MARCVS
    Надо чаще встречаться
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58644

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik the Rus View Post
    Yes, my favorite part of this documents is marshal Vasilevsky's quote, taken from WW1 period. Truth indeed.
    what moments in campaign you find historically inaccurate? Personally I don't see any fiction there, I believe that developers took everything not just out of their heads, but from credible sources.

Looks like you have bad knowledge about SU
    nope. I lived in SU and have a lot first person experience, believe me.

People signed petition to the 1C. Because of people's will (and greatly droped sales level of a game) 1C removed this game from their stores. Without any contribution from the state. I assure you, that soviet censorship was absolutly different
    hah, it is very similar to old times. Minority decides for everyone what to play/to read/to watch/to eat. Back to soviet times.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Can we get beyond the campaign? I never let it bother me. I just played through it. I think it was the gameplay that counted the most.

Personally I like the game. I had low standards for this game, but I think the battles live up to the original game. Although the temperature system does bother me, and I'm not really a fan of the DLC camouflage patterns or the commanders. I still bought the commanders anyway, and I really the commander I use regularly now because the conscript repair ability can be a lifesaver. UI can be a bit difficult to master, but all that takes is some time before you know where everything is.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; August 06, 2013 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilkas09 View Post
    I don't need to deal with this game because it's complete drivel. The real crimes of the USSR are bad enough without exaggerating them to the point of caricature, or just outright making them up like this game does.

Салют Ваня
    Do you have any idea what font can be used to post words about undeniable crimes of SU, to stop this holy wariors?
    Привет Паша! Как жизнь?

There is no such font. Saying that the game is inaccurate and distasteful is denying USSR crimes, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilkas09 View Post
    Old habits never change. It is just a legacy of soviet censorship. Russians like to ignore truth about dark parts of their history.

Any historical document where USSR burn their own civilian alive just to deny their house from German or burning their own troops alive?

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

I loved CoH 1. I love the Blitzkrieg mod and Eastern Front mod for it too. Shall i buy this game?

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    I loved CoH 1. I love the Blitzkrieg mod and Eastern Front mod for it too. Shall i buy this game?
    Its basically the same game
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

It's the same game, the change is very minor and not all the change is good. The new commander system and unit stat is less intuitive now.

Sweet Jesus I forgot how ing terrible at this game I am lol. The standard difficulty AI is ing kicking my ass lol.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

^
    Speaking of the AI, those damn reds.

Ugh, I thought the British/American combo in blitzkrieg mod were painful to fight.

I recently gotten this game, so that means new tactics.

Unrelated note, ing Russian mortars, no bunker is safe now

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Speaking of the AI, those damn fascists! Damn them and their early armor spam!

No biggie, those commies bastards can spam tank hunters and AT guns.

Another unrelated note: Never cross your three Panther tanks on a lake with arty from both side shooting randomly. The god damn path finding won't help in that situation either.

My pride...gone into the frozen abyss

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Game is free on Steam for a limited time.

Speaking of the campaign, so far I am only 3/4 done with it, It's really isn't that bad painted to the Soviet. Unless they go to baby eating route later on.

What I seen: One Soviet officer is a dick by killing his own men who retreated (First level by ordering a mg to kill them) or don't follow orders (Personally shooting a soldier just because he abandoned his post. And that was due to that same person saving a officer ), another officer who care about his men and disapprove the other action and then became a journalist., and other stuff that doesn't ring any alarm.

So far, It's not as bad as some people say.
    Last edited by Arbitrary Crusader; January 18, 2014 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary Crusader View Post
    Speaking of the campaign, so far I am only 3/4 done with it, It's really isn't that bad painted to the Soviet. Unless they go to baby eating route later on.

What I seen: One Soviet officer is a dick by killing his own men who retreated (First level by ordering a mg to kill them) or don't follow orders (Personally shooting a soldier just because he abandoned his post. And that was due to that same person saving a officer ), another officer who care about his men and disapprove the other action and then became a journalist., and other stuff that doesn't ring any alarm.

So far, It's not as bad as some people say.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m4SCUaBHS8
    This sort of is going on and on and on from Enemy At The Gates and Hollywood fascination with burning farts to COD BS to now COH 2 and the Russians are quite rightfully sick of it.
    I samo dotle, do tog kamena,do tog bedema,
    Nogom ces stupit, mozda poganom,drznes li dalje?...Cuces gromove
    Kako tisinu zemlje slobodne...Sa grmljavinom strasnom kidaju;
    Razumeces ih srcem strasljivim...Sta ti sa smelim glasom govore,
    Pa ces o stenja tvrdom kamenu
    Brijane glave teme celavo
    U zanosnome strahu lupati...
    Al' jedan izraz, jednu misao,
    Čućeš u borbe strašnoj lomljavi:
    "Otadžbina je ovo Srbina!..."