Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The bread thread

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default The bread thread

To get rid of all the bread talk in the chat thread and some people refusing making a thread about this, here is a thrwead to discuss bread.

we all know, except Twilight Sparkle maybe, that baguette is the best but if someone can point out WITH ARGUMENTS why their bread is better I would be delighted to hear that.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: The bread thread

Latvian bread is the best bread, none of you have tried it. I have tried baguette and Latvian bread is much better.

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Twilight, I have to ask you about the making of the Latvian Bread in your picture. How do they get the smooth and even surface of it? And the perfect shape? It almost looks polished.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Twilight, I have to ask you about the making of the Latvian Bread in your picture. How do they get the smooth and even surface of it? And the perfect shape? It almost looks polished.
    It's Latvian secret! If I tell then Special Bread Units are going to get me!

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    It's Latvian secret! If I tell then Special Bread Units are going to get me!
    Hmm, ok I understand that it is a valuable secret. But can you tell me about the crusts consistence? Is it soft or it is a more hard crust?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by edse View Post
    Hmm, ok I understand that it is a valuable secret. But can you tell me about the crusts consistence? Is it soft or it is a more hard crust?
    It's hard.

How does the bread taste?

Do you buy a whole uncut bread? In the Netherlands we mainly have bread that's already cut in slices and mainly soft crust.

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

loli, the baguette has two major setbacks as far as i'm concerned:

1. they are to thin, which is a double inconvenient in itself. first because it makes eating a slice with nutella or finetti spread difficult and unsatisfying. you'd have to cut it horizontally to properly savor a nutella slice. but that means:
    - you have to eat two slices at once, thus slowly tuning your abs into blob
    - you will deplete you nutella stash at twice the speed which will cause to you to spend more money on new jars and possibly lead you to the desperate situation where you crave nutella at midnight with all your being, all the stores are closed and the jar is empty because the baguette forced you to piggishly eat two slices at once.
    secondly the baguette's thinness allows a greater permeation of the core during baking ensuring that
    a. the bread is harder (see point two) and
    b. most of the flavor molecules are destroyed by the heat making it taste like cardboard more often than not. this can be avoided by adding other ingredients to the dough but it is considered a desecration of the bread.

2. like i said above it is waaaaaaay to dry. so unless it is incredibly fresh expect tons of bread crumbs and crust bits each time you cut it making a huge mess of things. and while eating bread may be fun cleaning up most certainly isn't - unless you are a girl in which case you won't eat to much bread in the first place and you'll probably use the baguette for something else entirely: dipping it in fondue/yogurt/cream
    Last edited by florin87; May 01, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

Basarabia is Romanian!

Pĺsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I hate it when the breade is pre-cut. It is much better to cut it yourself using a knife. Pre-Cut bread gets stale real quick.

Anyway, I don't give a hoot what anyone say. Home made bread straight out the oven, with natural jam or butter and cheese is the best bread ever can aspire to be.

Y'all know its true. Yo Mums fresh bread is best.
    Last edited by Pĺsan; May 01, 2012 at 07:02 AM.

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

yes, i agree with you. that's the only type of bread i eat.

Basarabia is Romanian!

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    How does the bread taste?

Do you buy a whole uncut bread? In the Netherlands we mainly have bread that's already cut in slices and mainly soft crust.
    Uncut, but you can also buy already cut bread. Our bread isn't crust, it's soft.
    I know your bread, I have been in the Netherlands already 3 times and ate it everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by florin87 View Post
    loli, the baguette has two major setbacks as far as i'm concerned:

1. they are to thin, which is a double inconvenient in itself. first because it makes eating a slice with nutella or finetti spread difficult and unsatisfying. you'd have to cut it horizontally to properly savor a nutella slice. but that means:
    - you have to east to slices at once, thus slowly tuning your abs into blob
    - you will deplete you nutella stash at twice the speed which will cause to you to spend more money on new jars and possibly lead you to the desperate situation where you crave nutella at midnight with all your being, all the stores are closed and the jar is empty because the baguette forced you to piggishly eat two slices at once.
    secondly the baguette's thinness allows a greater permeation of the core during baking ensuring that
    a. the bread is harder (see point two) and
    b. most of the flavor molecules are destroyed by the heat making it taste like cardboard more often than not. this can be avoided by adding other ingredients to the dough but it is considered a desecration of the bread.

2. like i said above it is waaaaaaay to dry. so unless it is incredibly fresh expect tons of bread crumbs and crust bits each time you cut it making a huge mess of things. and while eating bread may be fun cleaning up most certainly isn't - unless you are a girl in which case you won't eat to much bread in the first place and you'll probably use the baguette for something else entirely: dipping it in fondue/yogurt/cream
    Yes these are some setbacks but a baguette is normally totally eaten immediately. It's not a great bread to eat every day though but it's the nicest IMO. I prefer the thicker baguette, don't know wether that's still called that way though, it's more bread then crust and more stuff can fit on it. Baguette with bacon and eggs is great, one of the best breakfasts ever.

The "baguette de tradition française" is a God among bread.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Yes these are some setbacks but a baguette is normally totally eaten immediately. It's not a great bread to eat every day though but it's the nicest IMO. I prefer the thicker baguette, don't know wether that's still called that way though, it's more bread then crust and more stuff can fit on it. Baguette with bacon and eggs is great, one of the best breakfasts ever.
    I think you're talking about a flűte. There's just no other bread which goes so well as baguette with soft cheese.

<Mouth-water>.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Comes Limitis

Hazelnutbread with a hunch of white raisins. Some sliced porkroast on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

I love any bread thats soft inside and have a crunchy crust.

I also like most types of dark bread, if it is made properly.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I say it again, your Latvian bread looks just like German bread. I wonder if it tastes a little sour like German bread.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

besides...bread is awesome

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I say it again, your Latvian bread looks just like German bread. I wonder if it tastes a little sour like German bread.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well it's called sweet-sour-bread in translation. But guess yes, it should taste like that.

Frisian sugar bread is best bread.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cň am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu brŕth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhěthein buaile fŕs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sěos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an ŕird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast