Page 61 of 249 FirstFirst ... 113651525354555657585960616263646566676869707186111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 4966

Thread: Things that make you go WTF

Default Re: Things that make you go WTF

How the CIA Helped Disney Conquer Florida

Apr 14, 2013 4:45 AM EDT With advice from former CIA operatives and lawyers, Disney bought up the land for Florida’s Disney World and orchestrated a unique legal situation—and set up an unconstitutional form of government. An excerpt from TD Allman’s Finding Florida.

Starting in the mid-1960s when Disney set out to establish the Disney World Theme Park, they were determined to get land at below market prices and Disney operatives engaged in a far-ranging conspiracy to make sure sellers had no idea who was buying their Central Florida property. By resorting to such tactics Disney acquired more than 40 square miles of land for less than $200 an acre, but how to maintain control once Disney's empire had been acquired? The solution turned out to be cartoon-simple, thanks to the CIA.

Disney's key contact was the consummate cloak-and-dagger operator, William "Wild Bill" Donovan. Sometimes called the "Father of the C.I.A," he was also the founding partner of Donovan, Leisure, Newton & Irvine, a New York law firm whose attorneys included future C.I.A. director William Casey. Donovan’s attorneys provided fake identities for Disney agents; they also set up a secret communications center, and orchestrated a disinformation campaign. In order to maintain "control over the overall development," Disney and his advisers realized, “the company would have to find a way to limit the voting power of the private residents" even though, they acknowledged, their efforts "violated the Equal Protection Clause" of the U.S. Constitution. Here again the CIA was there to help. Disney's principal legal strategist for Florida was a senior clandestine operative named Paul Helliwell. Having helped launch the C.I.A. secret war in Indochina, Helliwell relocated to Miami in 1960 in order to coordinate dirty tricks against Castro. At a secret "seminar" Disney convened in May 1965 Helliwell came up with the approach that to this day allows the Disney organization to avoid taxation and environmental regulation as well as maintain immunity from the U.S. Constitution. It was the same strategy the C.I.A. pursued in the foreign countries. Set up a puppet government; then use that regime to do your bidding.

Though no one lived there, Helliwell advised Disney to establish at least two phantom "cities,” then use these fake governments to control land use and make sure the public monies the theme park generated stayed in Disney's private hands. On paper Disney World's "cities" would be regular American home towns—except their only official residents would be the handful of hand-picked Disney loyalists who periodically "elected" the officials who, in turn, ceded complete control to Disney executives.

In early 1967, the Florida legislature created Hallowell’s two "cities,” both named for the artificial reservoirs Disney engineers created by obstructing the area's natural water flow. When you visit Disney's Magic Kingdom, you are visiting the City of Bay Lake, Florida. The other was the City of Lake Buena Vista. In both “cities,” in violation of both the U.S. and Florida Constitutions the Disney-engineered legislation established a property qualification for holding elective office, requiring that each candidate for office there "must be the owner, either directly or as a trustee, of real property situated in the City" in order "to be eligible to hold the office of councilman."

Though enacted by the legislature, this and other crucial pieces of Disney-enabling legislation, which would reshape central Florida and affect the lives of tens of millions of people, was written by teams of Disney lawyers working in New York at the Donovan firm, and in Miami at Helliwell's offices. Disney lawyers in California signed off on the text before it was flown to Tallahassee where, without changing a word, Florida’s compliant legislators enacted it into law. “No one thought of reading it,” one ex-lawmaker later remarked. Later, after the houses there were sold, compliant legislatures excluded all the residents of Celebration from Disney’s domain, to prevent them from voting.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...r-florida.html
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

People who were once personable and cheery when you first knew them, but have later grown to have an attitude for no apparent reason.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

^ good point

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

They found they were better than you

One of these days, the ride-along girl is gonna hurt herself...

Spoiler for King of Persia
    ᴀʟʟ ʜᴀɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴋɪɴɢ ᴏғ ᴋɪɴɢs

Blog Entries

I think you should advise about profanities in the video, Cyrus.
    PS: God. She dont say a word.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So this lass on my Facebook posts a status saying she's in an antique shop and it's "full of Nazi stuff".
    At this point, although I was quite surprised to hear of such a shop, I had no reason to doubt her. She said "It's horrific :/" and I commented saying it's just history and that if it's all original items, some of it should be worth quite a bit and that I don't really collect it but I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an SS helmet.
    She then deleted the status.

About 20 minutes later, she posts this picture...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

With the description "What the hell is this? It's obviously something Nazi related. Scary to think I found this in a charity shop"
    So I commented saying that it isn't Nazi related because the Weimar colours had been abolished during Nazi Germany.
    She ignores me completely and some guy replied saying "I think it's from an SS marching band. Don't wear it outside"
    She likes his reply and says "How do you know it's from a marching band?"
    My mate replied saying my comment was probably correct and she ignored him.
    I commented again saying "It's definitely not Nazi related. Hitler abolished the black-red-gold of the Weimar Republic so it's even less likely to be SS. It's probably Federal Republic of Germany Bundeswehr reserves..." (I don't know much about the way the Bundeswehr is set up, so sorry if I'm wrong but it seems the most obvious)
    Again, she ignored my comment.

Firstly, we learn about the Weimar Republic in school. She should know that they didn't use those colours during Nazi Germany.
    Secondly, WTF did I do to her? Why would she ignore me trying to help? I assume she just wants people to think she's cool and edgy because she found something "Nazi".

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Da Great View Post
    One of these days, the ride-along girl is gonna hurt herself...
    Nice vid. I like the disparity in safety equipment:

Driver: Fire-retardant suit, helmet, full safety harness strapped to the seat

Girl: Lap belt, half a shirt, and a miniskirt.

Apparently, her boobs are covered under the car insurance.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

@Rory: She's a modern girl. She couldn't care less about the Nazis or the SS, she just wanted the attention.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Oh men trying to give answers to women. What a mistake.
    (I have sounded misogynist? )

You're being negative man come on, why would you treat her that way... making her feel stupid and all SHEESH.

The Icelandic population is very small and all Icelanders are related. But yet, it is big enough so everyone doesn't know one another. This means that each and every Icelander that is in a relationship, is dating a relative. In most cases those relations are distant. But not always. But how can they know?
    http://www.newsoficeland.com/home/te...heir-relatives

Blog Entries

Countries falling down and noone gives a ****

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Handymen in Bioshocks 1999 mode, **** me this is hard.

Would you try some of it?

The smell of that sh*% will make me sick, so imagine eating it.
    Ewwwww...

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

It tastes like chicken imo.

rotten chicken

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Put BBQ on it, pop it on the grill, there you go.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

You make it sound good, but I still wound't try it, Pretty sure you wouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Da Great View Post
    The smell of that sh*% will make me sick, so imagine eating it.
    Ewwwww...
    You do realize that most meat is "aged" like that right?

Sure, the meat is refrigerated during this process, but it can't be any colder than iceland eh? If you tried to eat literally "fresh" meat, it would be way too tough. The aging process breaks down the connective tissues and gives the meat flavor. A well-aged cut processed in ideal conditions is the most important part of a good steak, and nobody know steak better tha 'Murica.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII