Page 1 of 377 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry's Bar

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Barry's Bar

As per this post from GrnEyedDvl.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    Report large threads, 10,000 or so posts. I have no idea how many we have, but we need to close them and open new ones.
    The original thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Original OP View Post
    Welcome, gentlemen, to the Bar! Pull up a bar stool, order yourself a round, and from now on please take all of your non-IH convos here. *PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RULES BEFORE POSTING!*

The Rules:
    1. Barry's word is law!
    2. No flame-wars!
    3. Kip is the only person allowed to post pictures of women. This is to be at his own choice, leisure, and discretion. Expect plenty of Cobie, but no Alizee. (Sorry Gunny.)
    4. Memes will be allowed on a case by case basis. However, Polandball is outwardly encouraged.
    5. All new serfs members will be treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. Remember we were all n00bs ourselves once.
    6. That said, any members who wish to access this thread must first join an actual IH. That way we can be sure they're not just here to troll this thread.
    7. Debate is allowed and (to a degree) encouraged. However, we ask that you please monitor your own conduct to keep a respectful and friendly environment. This is a pub, not congress. Remember to always adhere to rule #2 when engaging in debate. With the creation of the debate thread, all debates will now be carried out there rather than here.
    8. Keep the language (somewhat) clean. No censor bypassing.
    9. Remember the Golden Rule
    10. Don't be selfish! While this is a chat thread and is intended for off-topic discussion, please do not go far enough to get the thread closed! Don't ruin this for the rest of us.
    11. Have fun!

Elastic Clause: Any rule not mentioned here will be determined by the content of the ToS. Violation of the ToS is, as always, punishable by the upper brass of TWC.

Alright guys, you may begin!
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Barry's Bar

Funny, after seeing the Say Cheese closure, I was just coming here to check on the post count

Thanks Hesus

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Well, this means all of the IH comics are gone. Oh well, I was afraid for a minute that the whole thing was gone.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Content Emeritus

Don't you have them saved on the photobucket you uploaded them on? or did you upload them as attachments? and they aren't saved? D:

Content Emeritus

Attachments mostly, though I think I have a few in photobucket. They're all saved too, just on my old laptop which barely runs anymore.

I'm quite happy to see my post count retreat to a healthy 7,000 or so as well.

Content Emeritus

Then you must back them up

Also, same; I've always dreaded the day when I hit 10,000

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

In b4 Nazis/Communists

and I only lost like 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Nah I think it's probably for the best. I can imagine holding up the Bar alone was taking up the collective effort of several high-power servers

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

I lost 4.5k
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

What exactly was the point of closing and then replacing the Bar?

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Saves processing power/memory for the fourm, as the server isn't loaded with the 10,000 posts.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    I really think some of these issues are tied to how vBulletin 3 parses threads and posts. In fact I know some of them are, as described here.

I seriously dont think the designers ever anticipated threads with 30,000 posts. The fact that Hybrid view is not paginated is proof of this. There is literally no limit to the amount of posts it will try to process while using that thread view option, which means it eventually hits the caps we have in place on resources a single process can use. Those limits are there to help prevent problems, and to prevent faulty code from getting the server stuck in a loop from which it never recovers.

As the site gets bigger, we will run into these things more often. We have taken a few steps to try and nail things down specifically, and when the site is running properly it runs great. When one of these threads posts/threads gets stuck, it basically has to kill the process. We have a max of 180 or so cgi processes running at once, so losing one process shouldnt be a big deal though it will throw an error for the person using it at the time.

If that process happens to be the parent process it may kill the connection for 20 people when that process gets restarted, or those 20 people may have a long page load time as there is a 30 second limit built in.

The problem is that this is not consistent, its been really hard to figure out exactly what person was viewing which section of the forum when an error gets thrown. To limit that a bit I have closed several threads around or over 10,000 posts, and reconfigured the way that processes spawn and get closed on the server side.

Whenever we make changes, I have to wait at least 24 hours so I can view the logs and check errors over a long period of time.

I am glad you guys are still reporting issues, as it gives me a time frame I can look in the logs for.

A few other things you can do:

Tell me which thread you were trying to view. If you were simply looking at the main forum or really any section then it wont really help, but if you consistently have problems with a single thread then I need to know which one.

Set your Thread Display Mode to one of the Linear settings. Most people are on this already. I could force people to use it and remove the other options, but we havent gone that route yet.

Report large threads, 10,000 or so posts. I have no idea how many we have, but we need to close them and open new ones.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

hot damn there's only like 6 of us, how did we post that much :O

So guys, what now in the new bar?

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Aw, I liked the old one. This one just seems empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Content Emeritus

Then we will fill it!

So what were we talking about before the closure of the old bar? Let's continue at that.

It would've been nice if the mods saved the last few pages of posts from the bar.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

meh

Besides the IH comics, the bar was literally 10,000 posts of garbage lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    meh

Besides the IH comics, the bar was literally 10,000 posts of garbage lol

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I liked the old one... This just ticks me off... TWC's mods are becoming increasingly like the US Government...

Anyway, we should ask for the Bar to be restored so we can copy the comics and let it be deleted again. A warning of this would have been nice as well... I posted tons of things in that bar...