Page 51 of 335 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253545556575859606176101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 6690

Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Quote Originally Posted by Megalos View Post
    I didn't think R/C at all. That didn't even cross my mind, even with the big ass antenna!
    No side window for the driver. No rear-view mirrors.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Not British, European though. Post WW2 maybe, and yes, prototype/limited production run.

Not remote control AFAIK.

Is not remote controlled, and is amazingly, nearly 5m long. Looks can be deceptive.

edit2: Some sources say it saw service in WW2, as a small number entered production. But not used by the original owner towards the end.

Carro Protetto A.S. 37 perhaps?

The A.S. 37 was a light desert truck and used as a basis for a armored personnel carrier. The 4 wheel drive was designed especially for desert operations. The unit could carry ten soldiers plus a driver at a top speed of 50kmh. It had an 8mm MG for armament.
    Source: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/I...ntalTanks.html

Apparently 200 were made, 44 were taken by the Germans and used in the Balkans.

New picture.

Is this difficult?

HINT: Amphibious Soviet vehicle.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well that barely narrows it down. Practically 3 out of 4 vehicles the Soviets made was amphibious hahahaha.

It's also an oversnow/arctic vehicle. Introduced in the early seventies.

Sorry, lol. I saw the thread yestarday but somehow forgot to continue looking

Anyways, what bothered is that it looked soviet/russian, but the wheel shape and that soldier's helmet are off. Mostly likely they are either a north or eastern eurpean.
    Still looking.

Initial guess: that is a MT-LB?
    Last edited by Morbius Sire; August 10, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

No, not a MT-LB. The helmet is NVA (Army of the DDR) btw.

I found the damned thing, i believe. It is a Gaz 71 tracked tractor.
    And it seems it has a variant called: gaz-34039

Mini rant: Why the hell is it classified as a tractor? Call it a carrier or a transport; whenever i hear of a tractor i think of a farm with cows...evil cows.

Also, irrelevant but for the helmet.
    Initially, I believed it was Czech helmet due to similar shape.
    Last edited by Morbius Sire; August 10, 2012 at 07:11 AM.

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

MT-LBV?
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarry View Post
    I found the damned thing, i believe. It is a Gaz 71 tracked tractor.
    And it seems it has a variant called: gaz-34039
    GT-SM or Gaz-71 is correct.

Mini rant: Why the hell is it classified as a tractor? Call it a carrier or a transport; whenever i hear of a tractor i think of a farm with cows...evil cows.
    Because it's a light artillery/heavy mortar artillery tractor too.

Also, irrelevant but for the helmet.
    Initially, I believed it was Czech helmet due to similar shape.
    Fairly sure that it's DDR. This vehicle and other Soviet vehicles from the same collection were purchased from Germany after the reunification.

The GT-SM was widely employed by the Soviet Military. It replaced the GT-S Tracked oversnow vehicle, which had been developed as a result of wartime experience gained from fighting in the snow.

The GT-S was manufactured at Gorkovsky avtomobilnyj zavod (Gorkovsky Automotive Plant).
    The GT-SM has a longer chassis than the GT-S and also has six road wheels instead of five. It is powered by the GAZ-71 V-8 water cooled petrol engine, developing 115 hp.

The GT-SM has higher road and water speeds. The vehicle has wider tracks, giving lower ground pressure and thus better mobility across soft ground.

The GT-S series goes back to 1955; this was when the original GT-S (also known as the GAZ-47) was introduced. As stated earlier, the GT-S was an over-snow vehicle designed for a variety of roles, but primarily as a general cargo/troop carrier and light artillery/heavy mortar tractor. The GT-S is also capable of traversing shallow swamp areas. The layout is conventional, with an engine compartment at the front, a cab behind that, and the cargo/troop section behind the cab. The cab and cargo/troop section are covered by a canvas tarpaulin. The cab has two doors, while the rear area is accessed via a drop tailgate, and has small plastic windows in the rear and sides of the tarpaulin. Towing capacity of the GT-S is 2 tons. The GT-S is fully amphibious, but is propelled only by the tracks when in water. Early models used a 74-horsepower engine, but this was quickly changed to an 85-horsepower engine. Today, the GT-S is primarily used in civillian roles - anything from logging companies to scientific agencies.

The GT-SM (also known as the GAZ-71) replaced the GT-S in the early 1970s; it is basically a GT-S with a more powerful engine. It is somewhat larger than the GT-S, but has the same cargo and towing capacities, and the same general shape and specifications. Versions used in Czechoslovak Army ( 12 units) were all GT-SM GAZ-34032 modifications with spark ignition engine, same like in the GAZ-66 truck.

Production has since stopped, but it is still in lower-level service with the Russian Army. The GT-SM has largely been replaced by the MT-LB.
    Source: http://www.soviethammer.info/blog/64...-sm-gaz-34032/

Here's one that I think it will be a toughie: The picture is attached!

I may give out a hint or two after a few hours [approximately at 13:30 EST]

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
    GT-SM or Gaz-71 is correct.

Because it's a light artillery/heavy mortar artillery tractor too.

Fairly sure that it's DDR. This vehicle and other Soviet vehicles from the same collection were purchased from Germany after the reunification.

Source: http://www.soviethammer.info/blog/64...-sm-gaz-34032/
    I see
    Well, I learned three more things today so i am happy,

iKIwa.

The iKlwa (stabbing-spear) armored personnel carrier is a further development of the Ratel. It can be manufactured as a new built vehicle, or existing Ratels can be converted to iKlwas. Currently the iKlwa is available as a prototype.
    The iKlwa is better protected comparing with Ratel as it is designed for asymmetric warfare.
    A basic armored personnel carrier is armed with a single remotely controlled 12.7-mm machine gun.
    The iKlwa has a crew of driver and can carry 15 fully equipped troops. Troops enter and leave the vehicle via the rear ramp, roof hatches or door in the side of the hull. Vehicle has a payload capacity of 9.1 tonns and can alternatively carry supplies in place of the troops.
    Vehicle is powered by the Cummins ILS turbocharged diesel engine, developing 450 horsepower. It is significantly more powerful, comparing with the 282 hp engine on Ratel. Vehicle is not amphibious.
    Modular configuration of the iKlwa can be changed from one configuration to another in less than a hour, using only an overhead crane and few simple tools. Besides basic APC configuration iKlwa can be configured to infantry fighting vehicle, fire support vehicle, ambulance and so on.

Variants

iKlwa Mk.1 - it is basically a Ratel with it's hull and powerpack upgraded. Engine is located at the front of the hull;
    iKlwa Mk.2;
    iKlwa Mk.3 - this variant looses it's drivers compartment by sinking the windows into the hull. The rear of the hull is also trimmed back;
    Infantry fighting vehicle, fitted with a 30- or 35-mm cannon ATGW launcher and 40-mm automatic grenade launcher or 7.62-mm machine gun;
    Fire support vehicle;
    Ambulance;
    Command vehicle;
    ATGW carrier.
    Source: http://www.military-today.com/apc/iklwa.htm

Damn, even a prototype(since 2007, i believe) doesn't last long. Next time, I'll have to dig deeper, it seems

Your turn

New picture.

I found that specific military piece(including the actual picture). But I'll let this one go

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

8 cm Raketen-Vielfachwerfer?
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.