Page 335 of 335 FirstFirst ... 235285310325326327328329330331332333334335
Results 6,681 to 6,690 of 6690

Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Correct. Renault UE Chenillete was a common armoured artillery tractor in French army during WWII, which led to several attempts to arm it. Pictured is the unnamed version with 25mm Hotchkiss gun, but there were several other versions made by France and Germany, which included machine guns, 37mm anti-tank gun or Wurfrahmen 40 rockets.
    It looks somehow ridiculously small. Like what purpose could it serve?

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    It looks somehow ridiculously small. Like what purpose could it serve?
    Tow light guns and carry ammunition and supplies to frontline units under fire, as the armour was adequate to protect from small arms fire and shrapnel.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

This looks a lot like Leonidas 2, the domestic Greek personnel carrier. But it's a bit off, so could it be an earlier version of the one in service now?

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

It is a Leonidas II indeed. I wouldn't really call it "domestic" as it was to all intents and purposes, largely a copy of an Austrian APC the Saurer 4K 4FA, to which Greece had secured licensing (Leonidas I). Leonidas II was an upgrade of that vehicle with minor modification. Greek content I think was the steel, the smoke grenades and (parts of) the running gear.

But it is the most "Greek" thing Greece currently has in its arsenal (unless we can also consider the classic 3 inch mortars that everyone has part of it), as the Greek content in active service is more or less small arms assembled under license by HK or FN Herstal, or Humvees, Trucks simply assembled (ie, parts shipped to Greece directly, no domestic production of parts) without any modifications, like part of the Leopard 2A6s that Greece has in active service. And the company that assembled those vehicles (EΛΒΟ, Hellenic vehicle industry) had gone bankrupt in the early 2010s I think and was sold in 2021 to an Israeli-led consortium.
    Last edited by Gyrosmeister; February 18, 2023 at 08:05 AM.

Thank you Gyros for the explanation and the private reminder of missing my turn. I regret I forgot this was my responsibility now. Here we go:

This is from a Finnish military base.

That is a replacement tube for a 305 mm Obukhovskii cannon. An incredibly powerful cannon designed for Soviet warships and later used also as a railway gun and coastal artillery piece in places like Sevastopol, Vladivostok, Estonia, and Finland. One grenade weighs about 450 kilos.

Anyone can take the turn.

OK, I'll post another antique small arm to see if it gets any new interest in renewing the game. It may be an easy guess

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; July 11, 2023 at 08:50 AM.
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Wow, over 2300 views and nobody has made a guess.

Here are some additional views with distinctive features seen on this model

Unique stock side washers/escutcheons under the sidelock screws--2nd model to use these

Unique jag tipped ramrod first seen on this model and barrel bands to hold barrel to stock rather than difficult to remove pins in the wood.

Lockplate with maker's name photoshopped out

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; July 14, 2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling and pertinent info