Page 333 of 335 FirstFirst ... 233283308323324325326327328329330331332333334335 LastLast
Results 6,641 to 6,660 of 6690

Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Zara?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

No, she was also sunk in the Mediterranean Sea, but she's not an Italian ship.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Knowing you that is probably a Spanish ship from the Spanish Civil War or something.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Looks like I'm very predictable, because you're spot on. The rest should be pretty easy, as there hasn't been a multitude of sank flagships in that conflict.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Well with the aid of the first Great Unifier above, and a little bit of research, I guess it must be the

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Baleares

Although spoilered because I don't know what level of research (if any) is classified as cheating in this thread.

Baleares is the correct answer! As the squadron flagship of the Nationalists, she was sunk by the government fleet off Carthagena.

Søren's Avatar ܁

Interesting, I'm not too familiar with the naval side of the Spanish Civil War, should look into it.

An authoritative vessel:

I don't know if anybody is still following this thread but I had figured out the identity of the ship that Soren posted quite some time back. I never posted an answer since I had nothing to post in return. However, I have acquired a new toy to post if I'm right.

I see that the link to the picture is no longer active but I'm pretty sure that ship was the USS President---built in 1800 as the last of 6 frigates commissioned for the newly formed United States navy's initial fleet. Her more famous sister ships were the USS Constitution and Constellation. However, after being caught in a English blockade of New York harbor for a year, she tried to make a run for it in 1815. After being crippled in an engagement with the HMS Endymion off the US coast she was captured and soon taken into the Royal Navy as the HMS President until broken up in 1818.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_President_(1800)

Cheers
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Søren's Avatar ܁

Well done, it was indeed, I've updated the image link as well. Part of one of the great ship classes of the era — the American 44 gun heavy frigates. Able to defeat any other frigate in the world, and outrun any ship-of-the line. In that sense a little reminiscent of the Panzerschiffe of WW2 (Admiral Graf Spee being the most famous). Also, like three of its other sister ships, it was commanded by Stephen Decatur, the great naval hero of the emerging republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    I don't know if anybody is still following this thread but
    Thank you for bringing the competition back to life. Please post a riddle of your own!

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    I see that the link to the picture is no longer active
    What do you mean? I can see the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Thank you for bringing the competition back to life. Please post a riddle of your own!

What do you mean? I can see the picture.
    I think Soren fixed the link to bring the image back. I just happen to post while the link wasn't working.

Cheers

OK, here's my entry and new toy recently acquired to show off

It's hard to stump most of you so I never know if going to be easy or hard.

Cheers

Thank you fer reviving this.

This one was an interesting search, but between some design features and knowing that you tend to focus on American Civil War weapons, it led me quite quickly to Burnside Carbine. A curious weapon, is it possible to still get any ammo for it?

Well, that was certainly quick and you are right in that since mostly collect antique American firearms I tend to favor them also.

As to the ammunition used for the Burnside, it takes a uniquely shaped cartridge which has been reproduced. I just got the rifle last week and had already ordered some of the cartridge cases and cast 54 caliber projectiles to load. The carbine uses self contained metallic cartridge but one that has no integral primer. Instead it simply has a small vent hole in the base of the brass. After loading the cartridge and closing the breech one still uses a musket cap placed on a nipple that is struck by the external hammer There is a channel running through the breech block that lines up with the rear of the cartridge.

Here's a shot I took just after starting to reload. During the war, preloaded cartridges were supplied to the troops but if one saves the empty cases they can easily be reloaded by hand. One just loads the correct powder charge, then a felt wad and lubricated projectile. Usually the waxy lube is enough to keep the bullet in place. During the war the troops were provided with a simple sizing and crimping tool to better secure the projectile to the case.

The wooden block is an insert to a reproduction leather carbine cartridge box that holds a supply of 20 cartridges. Some people compare the loaded cartridges to an ice cream cone. My carbine example is in excellent mechanical condition with a shiny clear well defined rifled bore so I should have no issues especially since I only use old fashioned black powder.

The Burnside design was an attempt to solve the gas leak issue with most early breech loading black powder designs that used paper cartridges. It was invented and developed by Ambrose Burnside who later became a major general for the Union during the ACW. He resigned his commission in the 1850s to pursue the manufacture of the firearm but due to delays and lack of government contracts compounded by the first factory burning to the ground, Burnside was close to filing bankruptcy. Consequently, he sold his rights to the patent and all interests in the company. He went to work for the Illinois Central railroad until the war started and he ended up getting back into the Army.

His former partners managed to keep the company afloat and eventually were awarded several lucrative contracts with the federal government once the war started. The Burnside carbine was the 2nd most used breech loading single shot carbine used by the Union during the war with about 55,000 produced and issued to the US cavalry. Unfortunately Burnside never got any financial benefit at all from from the carbine that bore his name. It was the 3rd most used if one considers the Spencer repeater. A number were also captured by the South and saw some use by some Confederate cavalry. Most breech loaders were usually made in carbine form for the cavalry since full sized muzzle loaders were too difficult to manage while mounted. Also the breechloaders were a bit more mechanically complex and were considered a bit too expensive for general issue.

Here's a group shot of my Burnside along with some reproduction leather including the cartridge box I mentioned.

Here is a Youtube video of a gentleman who runs a black powder gun store in Hungary shooting his Burnside. He publishes videos mostly about vintage historical firearms from the 19th and early 20th century with him first giving the history of the firearm followed him taking them to his local target range. His channel is called "Cap and Ball". I think he competes quite a bit so he is a pretty good shot. He couldn't find any of the cartridges in Europe so while he was waiting on a shipment from the US he turned a few on his own lathe.

Rep given and the floor is yours

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; November 06, 2022 at 05:55 PM.

Let's keep it going:

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

A ed up B24 Liberator?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    A ed up B24 Liberator?
    Totally unrelated, like your post and humour.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Has some similarities with a Bloch MB 200, although the Bloch MB 200 has only two engines. A experimental variant of a Bloch MB 200?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Has some similarities with a Bloch MB 200, although the Bloch MB 200 has only two engines. A experimental variant of a Bloch MB 200?
    Good guess, but way off just like the Liberator.

Those four engines are deceptive, they're actually quite small, being variant of an engine designed for light, sporting aircraft. The entire plane is significantly smaller than Bloch MB 200 or Liberator.

Hint time, to keep this going. One of two very similar prototypes by different companies (but you can tell them apart, I checked) built on peculiar request by one branch of military. One of main requested design features was ability to cruise at extremely low speeds-38 knots, to be exact.