Page 331 of 335 FirstFirst ... 231281306321322323324325326327328329330331332333334335 LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,620 of 6690

Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Absolutely correct! The British ship Cumberland was captured by the French in the battle at the Lizard, who sold her to the Genoese, who sold her to the Spanish, who lost her to the British, who sold her to the Austrians... The other ships are the French Lys (a two- and not a three-decker, as the painting implies) and the frigate Gloire. The man jumping from Cumberland is a French sailor of Lys, who managed to grab the British flag, despite being pursued by four enemy soldiers. The floor is yours!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks, I was wondering who the jumping figure was! That's a wonderful picture.

It might not be difficult to name one of the vessels taking part in this rather one-sided frigate engagement.

Last edited by Alwyn; April 17, 2022 at 02:15 AM.

USS Constitution Vs. HMS Guerriere? 24 pounders at work it seems.

EDIT: If someone's interested in naval warfare I would recommend Drachinifel's YT channel. His video on the Great Lakes naval engagements during the War of 1812 was quite interesting.
    Last edited by Bande Nere; April 17, 2022 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll watch his video with interest.

You're right that 24-pounders are at work here, however they aren't the USS Constitution and the HMS Gurriere. The Guerriere was too badly damaged to be taken as a prize, and was set on fire. The defeated frigate in the battle shown above was taken into an American port as a prize, and refitted to serve in the US Navy.

Oh

I got tricked by this painting

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I might know the answer now but I'm not sure I can retry when others haven't yet.
    Last edited by Bande Nere; April 18, 2022 at 04:47 AM.

That's a wonderful painting. It's difficult to distinguish one single-ship frigate battle from another - particularly when both engagements involved similar ships (in particular, the British warships in both engagements were rated as 38-gun frigates).

It's up to you - you can wait for others to guess or have another guess whenever you like.

If the American is a US heavy frigate I'll go for the USS United States Vs. the HMS Macedonian. That was in fact a very one sided battle as the British ship lost about a hundred men between dead and wounded, while the American only lost 12.

If I'm right I'm declining any rep on this one.

Correct! According to George C. Daughan's excellent book If by Sea: The Forging of the American Navy from the Revolution to the War of 1812, the capture of the Macedonian was the only time that a British frigate was taken to a US port as a prize - a great success for Captain Stephen Decatur Jr and the crew of the United States.

Over to you.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBN View Post

EDIT: If someone's interested in naval warfare I would recommend Drachinifel's YT channel.
    Excellent channel recommendation

Yay, thanks Alwyn and Greek Strategos!

So this one is more like an "identify the unit" challenge. you only need to know what type of soldiers they are. Not the nationality.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

That must be Sicily, though
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    That must be Sicily, though
    Indeed it is. If you won't grab this one with specifics, though, I will.

The two lads on the left are from British Durnham Light Infantry, 6th Battalion, while the yank on the right is from 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

Both correct!

In fact this was an unexpected encounter. While the brits were in the right place as that specific town in Sicily was their landing zone, this para and his colleagues(not in photo) had been swept of course during the first phase of Operation Husky and found themselves in the British area of operations. Once they realized they were off their area, they noticed british landing craft trying to reach the beach of this particular town and decided to help their allies by fighting their way in from the other side of the town.
    British troops would lose a number of men in this town as they got strafed by a concealed mg position held by an italian soldier who would eventually be killed by grenades.
    The plaza in which this photo was taken is where the British and the Americans would "meet". In fact the British had no idea Americans were there and mistaking their helmets for Italian ones they started firing at them.
    Luckily they were able to identify themselves before anyone could get hurt, and this picture was taken soon after.

This is my hometown, the plaza still looks the same, and the italian soldier handling the mg was the great uncle of a dear friend of mine.

Your turn Sar1n!

cursed

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

sorry, couldn't resist

I totally forgot about this, and it's been...two months?

Okay, hint. Horizontal tilting bolt locking mechanism.

It is a rifle. Given the lapse of time, perhaps this may suffice.

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Perhaps not. Try being a bit more accurate.

Could it be a Czechoslovakian ZH29 or 32. Probably the later version since I think it was the only one offered with side mounted sling swivels. They are a bit rare.

I found this video describing them

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; July 05, 2022 at 02:11 PM.
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Correct. Czechoslovakian built semi-automatic rifle, mostly used by Chinese.

Over to you.