Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Here is the next item.

I have an idea, but because this battery is known only under certain nickname, I'm hesitant to do image search...

Please try something if you have an idea! I am not not aware of any nickname that would not be safe for work

It's not NSFW, but the nickname could lead to images that I'm not ready to see.

Big Willie, a turret from battleship Provence mounting a pair of 340mm/45 Modèle 1912 guns made into a coastal battery at Toulon harbor?

No, that is not it and the caliber does not match either although you are close in terms of caliber, year of design, provenance, and use.

I googled "coastal artillery Finland" and, according to the results, it must be the 12 inches battery at Kuivasaari island that used to protect the port of Helsinki.

Yes indeed, a 305-millimeter Obukhov cannon designed as a naval gun but repurposed as a land-based turret cannon. These were placed on the coasts of both Estonia and Finland so that the countries could co-operatively close off the gulf of Finland by having the entire waterway within the reach of those cannons.

They were decommissioned in the 60s and 70s because the insane ammunition size (one grenade weighed almost half a ton) made them highly inconvenient to use.

Thanks, Finland was the greatest hint!

What's the name of this tall, large and yet more vertical than chubby ship of the line?

Cheeky. If I'm not mistaken, it's not a ship of the line any more, but a training hulk. Valmy, renamed to Borda after the conversion.

Valmy is the correct answer! The new design was more economical, but also less stable. Overall, not a very efficient ship that soon became obsolete, but still the largest ship of the line of the French navy.

Is it just me, or did French have a habit of experimenting with weird naval ideas? A wooden first rate with straight sides, submarine with guns from a heavy cruiser...

Anyway, next:

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The worst ninja weapon of all time. Maybe only the egg is worse.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    The worst ninja weapon of all time. Maybe only the egg is worse.
    But it is a weapon. With specific name.

Patrician

The Kusarigama which just means chain sickle. A farmer's implement because they had nothing better. You are probably more liable to cut or strangle yourself then you are at actually killing enemy samurai.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

The Kusarigama which just means chain sickle. A farmer's implement because they had nothing better. You are probably more liable to cut or strangle yourself then you are at actually killing enemy samurai.
    Unless you're properly trained with it. The discipline of handling kusarigama is included in some japanese martial arts.

Your turn.

You are probably more liable to cut or strangle yourself then you are at actually killing enemy samurai.
    I've seen some impressive techniques by practitioners, but I guess an unarmored target is the only kind in grave danger when faced with one. Also, as with most traditional arts, the problem is that the techiques are honed against opponents who do not properly resist.

However, from what I have seen I cannot think of any non-suicidal way to approach a proficient kusarigama user while being unarmored and wielding a sword.

Patrician

Typically the Kusarigama is used to keep an opponent at bay and preventing them from attacking. You can also use the chain to grab their arm or their weapon. The actual sickle can be used in melee. But a killing weapon is just so much better than this. There is no certainty that it would work and if it doesn't the user is very undefended when fighting a dangerous opponent.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I would think the odachi you have shown would out reach the kusarigama. And for defense you would have to constantly swing the kusarigama, which will get tiring fast. Stay just out of reach, and a lightning fast lounge can catch the kusargama user before they can bring their weapon up for defense.

Even the kusarigama user is still swinging, a sword user can defeat it by timing their attack. The nature of the kusarigama means the user can not easily check or change the direction of the kusarigama once the swing has started. I would think all the sword user would need to do is just stay out of range of the kusarigama and then quickly attack once the swing passed a certain point.

And it the sword was tough enough and you strong enough, you could get the kusarigama to wrap arounf the sword blade, then you could stab the kusarigama user, if you could lift the sword with the kusarigama wrapped around it.

Of course, if you had one of those magical katanas that slice through anything you cut through the chain with a mighty swing, tendering the kusarigama useless.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; June 13, 2021 at 06:08 PM.

Patrician

This might be considered an Odachi but there is a very specific terminology which refers to this type of sword.

This might be considered an Odachi but there is a very specific terminology which refers to this type of sword.
    The handle looks very long in the Samurai's hand. A nagamaki has a long handle.