Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I'll guess...1-lb Willams Gun?

Patrician Artifex

A little too early.

extra hint: the gun was typically mounted on a vehicle.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Found it...I think.

Krupp Balonabwehrkanone, also abbreviated BaK or simply Ballon Kanone. A Prussian 1-pdr gun developed during 1870's to counter the French balloons during Franco-Prussian war, and most likely first purpose developed AA gun. Credited with five confirmed and three probable balloon kills.

Patrician Artifex

Yup, that's it. Developed by the germans because they got annoyed at the French using balloons to smuggle people and mail out of besieged Paris.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Its the the Fokker-Leimberger gun from 1916.

http://futurewarstories.blogspot.com...mini-guns.html
    Last edited by chesser2538; January 11, 2019 at 07:33 PM.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Correct. According to its creator, it was capable of fire rate over 7200 rounds per minute. Bu he's known to be one exaggerating Fokker....

Citizen

Righto

I'm pretty sure that It's a German WWII Sturmgewehr 44 or Stg-44. Supposedly, Hitler suggested the name to make it scary, which translates loosely to Assault rifle.

It's generally considered to be the world's first production assault rifle and its main characteristics are used to define all weapons that fit the term.

1. It must be capable of selective fire--both semi and full automatic.
    2.It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more than a pistol but less than a standard battle rifle.
    3.Its ammunition must be fed from a detachable box magazine
    4.It must have an effective range of at least 300 metres.

Cheers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44
    Last edited by Forward Observer; January 12, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Citizen

You would be right on all counts. Bravo on the extra research, I'd rep you twice if I could.

Here's another artillery entry, which will probably be easy, but it gives me a chance to show off the latest acquisition to my small scale artillery collection.

It's a historically accurate 1/3rd scale model of an original. The real thing would have a rifled bore while this model has a smooth bore, but at one inch it still scales out to about 1/3rd. The powder can in the picture is 6 inches tall.

Cheers

10-pounder Parrott rifle. The design used interesting combination of wrought and cast iron to secure the breech from bursting, but nevertheless they gained reputation for poor safety. Strangely, it was manufactured in two calibers, 74mm and 76mm, which caused confusion and at times, guns were issued wrong ammunition.

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

I was thinking along the same lines, but are you sure it isn't a 20-pounder instead?
    Scripta manent, verba volant.

My Byzantine AAR
    My Rome II story

Quote Originally Posted by Wolar View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines, but are you sure it isn't a 20-pounder instead?
    The bore scale would be a bit off, closer to 1/4...20 pdr had 3.67 inch bore.

I admit, they look very similar...

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    The bore scale would be a bit off, closer to 1/4...20 pdr had 3.67 inch bore.

I admit, they look very similar...
    Agreed.
    Scripta manent, verba volant.

My Byzantine AAR
    My Rome II story

Quote Originally Posted by Wolar View Post
    Agreed.
    I guess we'll jsut have to wait who gets the rep for this.

Sar1n got it. It's a model 1861 ten pounder Parrott. The original bore for the M1861 was 2.9 inches. However, later in the war, the Union released the Model 1863 ten pounder Parrott, which increased the bore to 3 inches. This was done so the gun could use the same ammunition as the more popular and safer 3 inch ordnance rifle. The 3 inch ordnance rifle was all wrought iron, which made it closer to the strength of mild steel.

The barrels of the 10 pounders were stamped with the bore diameter, but one can also tell the difference visually. The M1861 has a slight flare at the muzzle while the M1863 does not. The 20 pounder did not have the flare either. You can see the flare on my model making it a copy of the M1861.

My model has a cast iron barrel like the originals but for modern safety practices, it also has seamless steel bore liner with a welded breech, so there's little chance of it failing and blowing up like the originals. Since those liners come in fixed diameter sizes, the resulting bore is sometimes a bit out of scale.

Sar1n is also correct about the wrong bore size ammunition getting issued in the field until the earlier models were retired. The South captured a few Parrotts and it was eventually copied by their own sparse and under supplied foundries.

Well done!

Sar1n, The system won't let me rep you right now, but I'll get it done eventually.

Cheers

P.S. I forgot to mention that the 10 pound Parrott is one of the main artillery pieces one gets to use in the Fall of the Samurai Boshin war expansion for Shogun II.
    Last edited by Forward Observer; January 14, 2019 at 06:06 PM.

This image is horizontally flipped, it's important to keep that in mind for proper ID.

I thought this one is fairly easy.

At her launch, she was fastest ship of her type. Distinguished herself in largest naval engagement of her era.