Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

This has most likely been done before :/

ALSO: WOOOOOOO RED CHEVERON!!

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Krupp leicthe Selbstfahrkanone (light self-propelled gun) is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    This has most likely been done before :/

ALSO: WOOOOOOO RED CHEVERON!!
    Dude. Censor the license plate next time.

Škoda PA-II aka OA vz. 23 (Armored Car model 23)
    börk börk

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

lol, It never even crossed my mind to do that correct.

I feel a bit ashamed though, it's a Czechoslovak design so I should have known that.

börk börk

Can we have another picture from a different angle?

I'll dig something up, although not today, getting sleepy.

Didn't think it'd give you such trouble o_O
    börk börk

Damn photos are so overexposed. Took me eternity to tinker to make the shape distinguishable.

I think it should be easy now.
    börk börk

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

It's Thunderbird 2!

(For anyone who has ever seen that old kids show)

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

(For anyone who has ever seen that old kids show)
    Don't make me feel old lol! Talking of Thunderbirds, I thought this plane kinda looks like that huge jet ('Fireflash'?) in one episode where they had to help it land on the runway (just a really small version if it)
    Last edited by Aymer de Valence; September 04, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Well, this one ain't fictional at all.

Looks like I've been more devious than I thought I'd be. I'm thinking really hard about a hint that wouldn't make it too easy of a giveaway.

Edit: Here it is - This isn't even its final form!
    Last edited by Hydrazine; September 04, 2014 at 10:39 PM.
    börk börk

Nobody?
    börk börk

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

My first problem is that the google image search page on my MacPro has reconfigured to thumbnails with 3 lines of captions, so I'm only getting 20 images per page and for the life of me I can't reset it to my preferred, previous layout. Bloody Google!

I thought it looked Russian from the start and if I'd gone down that road straight up I'd have got here much sooner, but I thought with so many unique design features it wouldn't be a difficult search - wrong!!!!

But as soon I went Russian prototypes I came up with the Bartini Beriev VVA -14! The famous 'ground effects' sea-skimmer that was to eventually be an over powered heavy payload vertical take-off seaplane. I think this is it or a version of it.

I'm still not sure which model this is - my reading so far is that only 2 prototypes were built, so going off your clue this must be the first one. I must of skimmed past it a dozen times not recognising it in this configuration (single engine on land-based landing gear without the weird pod-like floatation skids) or as a complete unit (as in not the wingless derelict outside the Russian Federation Central Airforce Museum)!

ps. Finally found your photo

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

Nice catch Spear Dog!
    Scripta manent, verba volant.

My Byzantine AAR
    My Rome II story

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dog View Post
    My first problem is that the google image search page on my MacPro has reconfigured to thumbnails with 3 lines of captions, so I'm only getting 20 images per page and for the life of me I can't reset it to my preferred, previous layout. Bloody Google!

I thought it looked Russian from the start and if I'd gone down that road straight up I'd have got here much sooner, but I thought with so many unique design features it wouldn't be a difficult search - wrong!!!!

But as soon I went Russian prototypes I came up with the Bartini Beriev VVA -14! The famous 'ground effects' sea-skimmer that was to eventually be an over powered heavy payload vertical take-off seaplane. I think this is it or a version of it.

I'm still not sure which model this is - my reading so far is that only 2 prototypes were built, so going off your clue this must be the first one. I must of skimmed past it a dozen times not recognising it in this configuration (single engine on land-based landing gear without the weird pod-like floatation skids) or as a complete unit (as in not the wingless derelict outside the Russian Federation Central Airforce Museum)!

ps. Finally found your photo
    That is indeed correct. It is the first prototype (19172), which started with conventional gear and had the pods added as tests progressed. The second engine is just hard to see but it is there, as you can see on this photo

Of course I couldn't use the famous derelict photo and I felt like the complete model with the pods and additional engines all in place was too recognizable as well.
    I'm glad it took some digging to get this one.

P.S.: My second photo pops up right on the first page, second row if I do an image search for "beriev vva-14"

P.P.S.: As I suspected, can't rep Spear Dog.
    börk börk

I'll stick with the planes, something sexier and even rarer!

Wolar's Avatar Tiro

Spear Dog repped.
    Scripta manent, verba volant.

My Byzantine AAR
    My Rome II story

clue: a one-off prototype (although a second was planned) that made 32 test flights for a company that's still on the road.

Kawasaki Ki-78.

The Kawasaki Ki-78 was a high-speed research aircraft that failed to live up to expectations, but that did introduce a number of features new to the Japanese aircraft industry. The aircraft began life as a civil research project, the KEN III (Kensan III or Research III), at the University of Tokyo, in 1938. Work on the design progressed slowly, and a wooden mock-up wasn't completed until May 1941. Kawasaki were then brought into the project and asked to produce two prototypes, only one of which was completed. Work on this first prototype began in September 1941, but after the Japanese entry into the war the project was taken over by the Army, and the design was given the specification Ki-78.
    The Ki-78 was powered by an imported Daimler-Benz DB 601A 12-cylinder liquid cooled engine. From the side the aircraft had a similar profile to most aircraft that used this engine, with a long nose and slightly low-mounted propeller (although the cock-pit was almost flush to the fuselage), but from the front its small dimensions became apparent. The fuselage was designed to have the smallest cross section possible (similar to the approach taken by Messerschmitt on the Bf 109), and the small size of the wings also became apparent. The Ki-78 had a wingspan of 26ft 2 31/32in and a wing area of 118.4 sq ft. In contrast the Bf 109 had a wingspan of 32ft 4 1/2in and a wing area of 174 sq ft, and yet was still originally seen as having a small wing.
    Engine cooling was provided by two radiators mounted on the rear fuselage, each with a small air intact sticking slightly out from the fuselage. Further cooling was provided by a fan driven by a small turbine. The engine provide 1,175hp normally, or 1,550hp with water-methanol injection (one of the features new to the Japanese aircraft industry). The small wings had a laminar flow section, and were given Fowler flaps, split flaps and drooping ailerons in an attempt to lower the landing speed.
    The prototype made its maiden flight on 26 December 1942. It was heavier than expected, increasing the wing loading. The landing speed was also higher than expected, at 106mph, and the aircraft were very difficult to fly at lower speeds. Its performance was also disappointing. The original aim had been to reach 850km/hr (528mph), but the aircraft never got anywhere near this speed. Its best performance came on its 31st test flight, on 27 December 1943, almost exactly one year after the maiden flight. Even then it could only reach 434.9mph. One more test flight was conducted, on 11 January 1944, and after that work on the project was suspended.
    Engine: Daimler Benz DB 601A
    Power: 1,175hp normally, 1,550hp with boost
    Crew: 1
    Wing span: 25ft 2 31/32in
    Length: 26ft 7in
    Height: 10ft 7/8in
    Empty Weight: 4,255lb
    Loaded Weight: 5,071lb
    Max Speed: 435mph at 11,485ft
    Range: 373 miles
    Armament: none
    Source: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...aki_ki-78.html
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; September 08, 2014 at 04:05 AM.

Correctamundo! I think they're just about the thinnest wings I've ever seen. A good looking aircraft, this is what became of the unique single build which survived the war:

WTF, eh! At the very least there's a Daimler Benz V12 fuel injected engine that's got to be worth having...... Small beans I suppose, in the face of the bigger picture.

Rep and your go.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; September 08, 2014 at 06:17 AM.