Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Disclaimer: All airplanes and look the same to me, so please don't bully me, if my guess is stupid...

Avia BH-21? Looks similar, is a Czech biplane and the Wiki mentions the death of pilot Malkovsy during an acrobatics show.
    See? It doesn't take an expert, just someone willing to go looking for it. It is indeed Avia BH-21. Used by Czechoslovak and Belgian Air Forces from 1925. The two acrobatic pilots were František Malkovskı and Ivan Kňažikovkı, both in 1930.

Your turn.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

To be fair, I wouldn't have found it, hadn't I suspected something Czech. Next one is a ship known more for her artistic value than her military record.

Is this the Soleil Royale?

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by skh1 View Post
    Is this the Soleil Royale?
    Which one?

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Patrician

Soleil Royale it is! One of the most gorgeous ships in history. I think she may have inspired the design of Unicorn in Tintin's adventures.

She was magnificent. She was heavily damaged during the Battle of Barfluer (May 12, 1692), where she served as the flag ship of Admiral Comte de Tourville contesting the day against a combined Anglo-Dutch fleet with a two to one superiority over the French fleet. Despairing of reaching her home port of Brest, she was beached off Cherbourg and repairs were commenced. During the night of June 2-3, she was attacked and successfully fended off 17 (!) ships until a fireship managed to set fire to her stern. The fire reached her magazine and she blew up. Only one of her 883 man crew survived. Remnants of her are buried under a parking lot which kind of sucks.

Far from magnificent, what sad disappointment in armored form is this?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Marmon-Herrington MTLS-1G14

The very concept of "light tank" is crooked, IMO
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Correct! The Marmon-Herrington MTLS-1G14, of Marmon-Herrington fame. It was originally commissioned by the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army in the spring of 1941. 200 units were ordered but events made delivery impossible. The US Army took over development and began testing examples at Aberdeen Proving Grounds where, with expressions that seemed to alternate between wry and bemused, they were found to be "[…] thoroughly unreliable, mechanically and structurally unsound, underpowered and equipped with unsatisfactory armament. The 4-Man Dutch Tank Model MTLS-1G14 is not a satisfactory combat vehicle for any branch of the Armed Forces." The design was flawed as it was a tank originally weighing in at 10 tons enlarged to 22. It was equipped with two 37 mm cannon in the turret and could mount up to seven (!) machine guns. Some numbers were deployed to the then Dutch colony of Suriname to no effect.
    https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/U...gton-mtls-1gi4

It bears the distinction of being deemed the "Worst Tank Ever" by Nicholas "the Chieftain" Moran (expert consultant for World of Tanks). Here is his 32-minute rant:

One may happily report that the Marmon-Herrington company continues to exist to this day. They don't make tanks and no mention that they ever did appears on their website.
    https://www.marmon-herrington.com/company
    Last edited by skh1; April 16, 2021 at 07:19 PM. Reason: forgot link to encyclopedia

Worse than Valiant? I find that hard to believe.

On topic of light tanks, they had merit during interwar/most WW2 period. Today, they role has shrunk but they still have some use.

Upon further investigation, one learns that the Marmon-Herrington Company was also responsible for the M22 Locust:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

… which had an poor reputation and a thoroughly undistinguished career. At least their efforts had the endearing charm of being consistently crappy. Here’s David Fletcher of the Bovington Tank Museum:

specifically @ 6:03

Last edited by skh1; April 17, 2021 at 04:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Here I am, I took the week end off as usual

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Come on people, that's actually very easy

Blog Entries

Ok so, that's obviously a sort of rocket, or a part of it... just think of who's investing in this ATM and do your researchers, it shouldn't be hard to identify what precise model that is

Blog Entries

As of today there are two private companies investing in this business, one is using the typical white as a color, the other the polished steel; this reduces your researches down to only one of the two

This is 10 seconds at Wikipedia search at most. I'm just sitting it out for a while, giving others a chance.
    Last edited by Flinn; April 23, 2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: off topic remark removed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    This is 10 seconds at Wikipedia search at most. I'm just sitting it out for a while, giving others a chance.
    Are you going to give it a go? Otherwise I'll post another hint

It's been a week, so it's safe to say nobody's interested. So I'll grab it.

SpaceX Starship SN5 prototype.

Blog Entries

Finally, yes it is! Good job

Over to you

Something easy this time.

Oh...come on.

This ship, in its unique configuration, earned a place in history for being a first in something related to the design.