Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Looks like a Ford S1 armored car.

Correct. You can find it under various designations, most commonly as Scout Car S1. Manufactured by Ford Australia for US troops in Australia during WWII for airfield protection and scouting.

Blog Entries

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    ...is anyone even playing?
    Personally, I stopped.

No point in playing "identify the tiny, grainy, static filled, black and white picture". Every other picture seems to be a 250x250px thumbnail from 1890. Just not fun.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

It's been over a week, so I'll start guessing.

Second generation Audi A4 Avant?

Blog Entries

Bingo.

Here I'll need the name of specific variant:

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Here the game will die apparently.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

It's obviously an M3 or maybe an M5 Stuart light tank lower chassis. I built several Tamiya models of the Stuart over the years. The M3 and the M5 used the same suspension--only the hull of the M5 was a bit larger

It turns out that many lend lease Stuart lowers were adapted as turret-less scouts or reconnaissance vehicles using the British term "Recce". Due to their light weight and speed they were quite handy in jungle climates. They found their way in to forces in New Zealand, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia and were used into the late 1940's

I've found dozens of pictures that are pretty close with names from M3 Stuart Recce IV to M5 Recce Stuarts. There are so many variations with different machine gun mounts I couldn't tie down as being exactly the same as that grainy photo.

click on this and hit images and you will see literally dozens of variation including a ton of models.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stua...fPWW8Zp5BtR3qM
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Almost. Very similar, but wrong variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Almost. Very similar, but wrong variant.
    I found the exact picture that you posted (reversed) on a military forum and the guy referred to it as a T8 but also referenced it as more of a field modification of a "Stuart Recce" than any particular manufactured variant. I also found the same picture again referred to as a Stuart "jalopy" on Pinterest. Of course either caption could be wrong and these sorts of picture captions often are, but that's the best I can come up with.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...filterid=18045

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/523473156661155411/

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    I found the exact picture that you posted (reversed) on a military forum and the guy referred to it as a T8 but also referenced it as more of a field modification of a "Stuart Recce" than any particular manufactured variant. I also found the same picture again referred to as a Stuart "jalopy" on Pinterest. Of course either caption could be wrong and these sorts of picture captions often are, but that's the best I can come up with.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...filterid=18045

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/523473156661155411/
    Nope, it's a different conversion, one that didn't usually retain the .50, unlike Recce.

The presence of a .50 cal or any machine gun does not define the Stuart Recce. Many pictured do not have a .50 cal, or even a .30 cal--others only a coaxial in the hull--others none that is apparent. To repeat, the two links I posted in the second response are of the exact same picture you posted only reversed and they each are labeled as two different things.

There is also an M5 gun tractor based on the lower chassis with no machine guns used to pull British 17 pounders and some conversions for the ANZAC's were referred to as Kangaroos. That's all I got. Sorry

Kangaroos were converted both from M3 and M5 Stuarts, and this is in fact a M3A3 converted to Kangaroo.

This ought to be easy

Name the rifle model and configuration--bonus points for the caliber and the national forces that used them.

Cheers

This ought to be easy

Name the rifle model and configuration--bonus points for the caliber and the national forces that used them.

Cheers
    A Henry carbine wirb .44 cartridge? The lever handle and block looks like a Henry, but the barrel does not nor.any Winchester I have seen. Perhaps rhere is a carbine version I have not.seen

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    A Henry carbine wirb .44 cartridge? The lever handle and block looks like a Henry, but the barrel does not nor.any Winchester I have seen. Perhaps rhere is a carbine version I have not.seen
    No--not a Henry. With the exception a few hundred rifles, all of the original 1860 Henry's were produced with brass/bronze receivers rather than iron like the mystery gun posted. None of the Henry's had wooden fore-stocks due to the fact that the magazine had an exposed follower tab since they loaded from the front. They all had 24 inch barrels, so would have all been considered rifles rather than carbines. (Note: there are some fantasy reproduction Henry carbines that were reproduced in Italy)

A standard reproduction Henry for comparison

Cheers

I didn't really think it was a Henry, and I forgot about the Henry recievers being brass. Later Winchesters, which were derived from He ry rifles, had steel recievers, but the gun isn't a Winchester. i have never seen a Winchester design with a gun barrel wooden stock nearly as long as thd steel barrel as on the rifle shown.

A copy made by an Italian or some other company might account for the.differences I see. Thr gun looks lime someone took a Winchester.recidver and mounted it to a Martini Henri barrel. It is not a Martini Henry, the external hammer and shape of the lever arm still looks like a Henry or Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    I didn't really think it was a Henry, and I forgot about the Henry receivers being brass. Later Winchesters, which were derived from He ry rifles, had steel receivers, but the gun isn't a Winchester. i have never seen a Winchester design with a gun barrel wooden stock nearly as long as thd steel barrel as on the rifle shown.

A copy made by an Italian or some other company might account for the.differences I see. Thr gun looks lime someone took a Winchester.recidver and mounted it to a Martini Henri barrel. It is not a Martini Henry, the external hammer and shape of the lever arm still looks like a Henry or Winchester.
    Here's a clue:

Just because you have never seen a full stocked Winchester doesn't mean that they never existed. Winchester always realized the steady type of income that could be gained from military contracts.

However, because most, if not all, of them went to foreign militaries who used and abused them until they were either junked or sold off a surplus to some other military, they tend to be a bit rare today.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; August 05, 2020 at 10:16 PM.

This ought to be easy

Cheers
    1876 Wichester firing .45-75 cartridge? The Canadian Mounties bought about 1600.

PS - It is hard tell whether the cartidges are necked or not. The 1876 also used a straight wall 45-60 cartride. Hard to say whether thr cartridge was nexked or staight wall, not enough detail. A 50-95 catridge was alzo.used but does not seem as popular.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; August 08, 2020 at 06:38 PM.