Page 334 of 335 FirstFirst ... 234284309324325326327328329330331332333334335 LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,680 of 6690

Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Hint time, to keep this going. One of two very similar prototypes by different companies (but you can tell them apart, I checked) built on peculiar request by one branch of military. One of main requested design features was ability to cruise at extremely low speeds-38 knots, to be exact.
    Airspeed AS39 Fleet Shadower

The tilt of the tail fins isn't obvious in the picture you picked...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

This was an interesting riddle and I put in some effort to crack it. However, never having been much of an aviation enthusiast, I didn't have enough understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Airspeed AS39 Fleet Shadower

The tilt of the tail fins isn't obvious in the picture you picked...

But much bigger tell, the landing gear, is. You are, of course, correct.

As always, a little tale about the plane. Short time before WWII, British Admiralty came with this idea. An observation aircraft that could hang back behind enemy fleets, reporting on their movement from outside their flak range. This necessitated extremely low cruise speed, long loiter time and low noise. For that reason, a configuration using four small engines (140 hp each) was chosen. Two companies were selected to make prototypes, General Aircraft and Airspeed. However, issues with engine vibrations and low speed stability and handling slowed the projects, until the development of air to surface radar led to abandonment of the whole project.
    Last edited by Sar1n; November 11, 2022 at 03:58 AM.

Although I’m not certain, I don’t think this model of cannon has a specific name, so the general type, the country of manufacture, and the time period should be sufficient.

I happen to know the specific city this one was manufactured in, the date of its manufacture, where the copper in it came from, and the last campaign it served in (maybe take that as a hint). The wooden parts have been reconstructed.

You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

I think it is a bronze naval cannon used by Napoleon's forces and presumably domestic at the time, possibly also made in what today is Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I think it is a bronze naval cannon used by Napoleon's forces and presumably domestic at the time, possibly also made in what today is Netherlands.
    It is bronze and was used by Napoleon's forces. It wasn't necessarily a naval gun, although that reconstructed carriage appears to be based on the assumption that it was used as such. Its original carriage is believed to have been burnt on a beach, according to an eye witness account. It was not manufactured in what today is the Netherlands.

In summary, you're about halfway there.

If someone can fill in the rest, please do. That is what I got.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

To me it looks more like a howitzer. Possibly an Obusier de 6 pouces Gribeauval — a six-inch howitzer of the Gribeauvaul system. If so it would have been used all the way up to the Waterloo campaign. For that specific one, if the carriage was burnt on a beach, the Siege of Yorktown is plausible. Or if it's a photo you took yourself – perhaps from the notorious Siege of Jaffa.

It could also be a Year XI system 5.5-inch howitzer, but I can't find a good image of one to compare.
    Last edited by Søren; November 13, 2022 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Søren View Post
    To me it looks more like a howitzer. Possibly an Obusier de 6 pouces Gribeauval — a six-inch howitzer of the Gribeauvaul system. If so it would have been used all the way up to the Waterloo campaign. For that specific one, if the carriage was burnt on a beach, the Siege of Yorktown is plausible. Or if it's a photo you took yourself – perhaps from the notorious Siege of Jaffa.

It could also be a Year XI system 5.5-inch howitzer, but I can't find a good image of one to compare.
    I've seen it referred to as a mortar, but in fact it is quite similar (arguably almost identical) to this Obusier de 6 pouces Gribeauval at the Musée de l'Armée in Paris:

It was almost certainly at the siege of Jaffa and then the siege of Acre. I think I'm going to call your guess close enough, because the country of manufacture probably isn't really discernable from anything visible in the picture.

It was made in Seville in 1793 using copper from Peru, according to inscriptions on the cannon itself. I've uploaded a PDF with its full story: Guns of Tantura.pdf

I did take that picture, and this one of its Ottoman companion:

So it's your turn and I'll rep Sept as well for the assist.
    Last edited by sumskilz; November 13, 2022 at 03:11 PM.

I wonder if Sören is still playing.

I think it's time to resurrect this:

Is it the same as this one? Cierva W.11 Air Horse?

Indeed it is. Cierva W.11 was probably the only tri-rotor helicopter to ever fly.

Indeed it is. Cierva W.11 was probably the only tri-rotor helicopter to ever fly.
    Very interesting. thanks!

Here's the next one.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Crowbar would still beat that ^^
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Crowbar would still beat that ^^
    Assuming you can cross the couple kilometers through its effective range without having a neat hole drilled through you.

This chonk (the gun, not the guy) is Lahti L-39, one of most powerful anti-tank rifles used in WWII.

This chonk (the gun, not the guy) is Lahti L-39, one of most powerful anti-tank rifles used in WWII.
    Right you are, a Finnish rifle for 20x138mmB cartridge. Nowadays mostly owned and operated by North American collectors and enthusiasts.

Note: because this is a one-off conversion (although 120 were ordered, none except the original prototype were delivered), I'm looking for parent vehicle.
    Last edited by Sar1n; February 13, 2023 at 07:58 PM.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

I am pretty sure that this chassis is the Renault UE Chenillette

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrosmeister View Post
    I am pretty sure that this chassis is the Renault UE Chenillette
    Correct. Renault UE Chenillete was a common armoured artillery tractor in French army during WWII, which led to several attempts to arm it. Pictured is the unnamed version with 25mm Hotchkiss gun, but there were several other versions made by France and Germany, which included machine guns, 37mm anti-tank gun or Wurfrahmen 40 rockets.