Thread: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Correct. It was Smith & Wesson's second revolver which was produced from 1861 until 1874 and was chambered in .32 rimfire. While never purchased by the Union war department, thousands of the were purchased by Union soldiers for self defence due to the fact they were breechloaders that shot a self contained metallic cartridge during a war that was mostly fought with muzzle loading firearms.

Here's a tintype of a Union cavalryman showing off his No. 2 along with having a conventional 1858 Remington cap and ball revolver tucked in his belt.

General Rutherford B. Hayes (later our 19th president) favored the little model 2.

The pistol was favored by George Armstrong Custer who was presented a cased and engraved set after the ACW.

James Butler Hickok, aka, Wild Bill Hickok occasionally carried a model 2. Hickok and Custer were well acquainted with each other--since Hickok had scouted for Custer at some point.

Of course Custer went to meet his fate at the Little Bighorn in June of 1876. Two months later in August, Hickok was shot in the back of the head while playing poker in the Nuttall & Mann's saloon in Deadwood, Dakota Territory by a man named Jack McCall. Some claim McCall's motive was because Hickok may have killed McCall's brother, but that's never been confirmed.

Anyway, the only firearm that was found on Hickok's body was a S&W No 2 Old Army. It was confiscated by the sheriff along with Hickok's other effects. At some point a local shopkeeper complained to the sheriff that Hickock had run up a tab at his store and the revolver was given to the shopkeeper.

It was handed down through the family of that store owner and with documentation finally came up at auction in 2013.
    The bidding reached $220,000 but the family had a higher reserve and it did not sell. There's been no news on it since.

Lastly in 1868 about 1500 Model 2's were purchased and shipped to Japan to be used by officers in the Boshin war.
    This was depicted in the Fall of the Samurai expansion to Shogun 2 Total war.

Each officer of the modern infantry units are depicted as using a model 2

and here's a young Samurai with a holstered model 2

Your turn Sar1n
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

And here's next. A bit of censorship to hide the faces...

It's a German 37mm Anti-tank Gun of 1918. Approved for production by Rheinmetall and although produced with troops being trained and units being delivered to the front, none of the articles I found say whether it saw action before the war ended.

Man, this thing gave me a fit trying to tie down. From it's small size I figured it was some sort of early mountain or pack cannon. The wheels being wood spoked with an iron hubs were also common to the various small mountain guns. The soldiers were wearing high topped shoe and puttees (leg wraps) which were common from the late 1880's right up to the start of WWII for many countries. I just couldn't find any small artillery pieces with offset sights as tall of those.

I also thought of an early type of anti-tank gun, but Google only showed me pictures of stuff like the Boys anti-tank gun or the later German Pak and Russian anti-tank stuff. Finally an acquaintance on a gun board put me on to this site with the general name.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww...ne-rheinmetall

Here's the regular Wiki link, but with no pictures, I would have never identified it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3.7_cm_TAK_1918

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; March 08, 2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: corrected eBay reference to Wikipedia

That is correct. AFAIK it was first purpose-built anti-tank artillery.

Edit: either you wrote eBay instead of wiki accidentally, or it's true that you can get absolutely everything on the internet....
    Last edited by Sar1n; March 08, 2019 at 04:56 PM.

Yeah, I must have been search eBay for something when I made that post and had a senior moment.

I tried a couple of searches to make sure this had not been posed before, but got way too many false hits, so I gave up

Anyway:

Cheers

Yeah, I think this was posted some time ago...maybe a year or so. It's M1941 Jonson Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Yeah, I think this was posted some time ago...maybe a year or so. It's M1941 Jonson Rifle.
    Sorry about that. Still you got it anyway, and I don't have anything else to go with so the floor is yours.

P.S. I still can't seem to give you any rep until I spread some around. I guess I'll have to go give some rep to random people for no reason at all--Sigh!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    Sorry about that. Still you got it anyway, and I don't have anything else to go with so the floor is yours.

P.S. I still can't seem to give you any rep until I spread some around. I guess I'll have to go give some rep to random people for no reason at all--Sigh!
    I've got you covered
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

I was hoping you'd post something else, but well...it's up to me again. So what's it going to be? A biplane, perhaps? A mine? IFV?

Oh, I know...

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Yep. Bugger, can't rep you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Yep. Bugger, can't rep you.

Paying forward, I covered it for you since King Athelstan covered me for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	357693

Blog Entries

The Vickers VC10?
    and Peaman

The Vickers VC10 is correct, King Athelstan has the ground.

Blog Entries

Cheers!
    and Peaman

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

BT-42

Blog Entries

Aye, that it is
    and Peaman

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

and Peaman