Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: EditSF 1.0.8 - Added Bookmarks feature

Icon3 EditSF 1.0.8 - Added Bookmarks feature

EditSF has moved to the Rome 2 forum

Please download from and eport bugs on this thread from now on.

Version history

Version 1.0.8, 29.09.2013
    - Added "Bookmarks" feature

Version 1.0.7, 09.10.2012
    - "Move" Record entry node added

Version 1.0.6, 27.07.2012
    - "Copy" Record entry node added
    - "Delete" Record entry node added
    - Tuple editing fixed
    - string editing in ABCD/ABCE ESF files fixed

Version 1.0.5, 02.05.2012
    - fixed reverting of file back to original when saved twice.

Version 1.0.4, 20.04.2012
    - repaired the previously erroneous parsing of unoptimized section nodes
    - fixed the indication of modified nodes (tree view)

Version 1.0.3, 19.04.2012
    - huge performance increase upon load and save
    (looks unstable, took down the link)

Version 1.0.2, 16.04.2012
    - corrected array types
    - reintroduced always encoding in minimal size, works fine

Version 1.0.1, 15.04.2012
    - changed array type of compressed section to unsigned as set by game

Version 1.0, 13.04.2012:
    - supports ABCE, ABCF, and the new (FotS) ABCA file format
    - allows loading, editing and saving changes to (non-array) values within the ESFs
    - recompresses ABCA files' compressed section on save
    Last edited by daniu; March 03, 2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added 1.0.8
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Default Re: EditSF 1.0

wow thanks! +rep
    Don't smoke the seed

MightyMouse's Avatar Laetus

Icon1 Re: EditSF 1.0

I was able to open a savegame using EditSF 1.0.

I was able to open

campaign_save_game
    campaign_env
    campaign_model
    world
    faction_array
    faction_array-0
    faction

which brought me to faction_economics which is the file I really want to edit.
    I clicked on the first value which is a system.int32 type. I then changed the original value of 9000 to 100000.

I then saved as, and named it something else so I don't confuze the modified save and the original save.
    When I try to play the game and load the modified save file, I am brought to the loading screen. After the game attempts to load I am brought directly back to the main menu.

Could you please tell me what I did wrong here? Why it won't load?

Savegemes saved with EditSF 1.0 can't be loaded or read with EditSF 0.5, no matter any changes were made or not.

But I am not using EditSF 0.5. I am using EditSF 1.0 to modify a Fall of the Samurai save game. Now I would like to play this saved game. I have read extensively on this site about modifying saved games, however none of these methods work with fall of the samurai. Can someone please show me a way/ways to modify FOTS save games in such a way that the game will function and run the modified save game?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post

I was able to open

campaign_save_game
    campaign_env
    campaign_model
    world
    faction_array
    faction_array-0
    faction

I clicked on the first value which is a system.int32 type. I then changed the original value of 9000 to 100000.

I then saved as, and named it something else so I don't confuze the modified save and the original save.
    When I try to play the game and load the modified save file, I am brought to the loading screen. After the game attempts to load I am brought directly back to the main menu.

It can be because the value is duplicated somewhere else. Like when I changed the end-date of my campaign, it needed to be done three places. But then I used taw's tools.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13

I was able to open

campaign_save_game
    campaign_env
    campaign_model
    world
    faction_array
    faction_array-0
    faction

This happened to me as well... when I tried to load the modified savegame file it back to the main menu.

Why is this happening??

Damo_KB8's Avatar Foederatus

Is it because it can't change array values? I tried editing the money values. I was still able to load up the save game but the value wasn't changed in game

What happens if you load the file, save without changing it and try to load that from the game?
    If this doesn't work either, then it's probably a problem with the tool corrupting data.
    It it does work, EditSF's save works fine and your changing a single value is what causes the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Damo_KB8 View Post
    Is it because it can't change array values? I tried editing the money values. I was still able to load up the save game but the value wasn't changed in game
    Well array values could never be changed (not with the ESF Editor either).
    It's possible that you need to edit more than one value starting with FotS to make the change be used by the game. It's also possible this change would need to be applied to an array value, but it's very improbable (I don't think this ever was the case). If this is the case, it means a lot of trouble because it'll take a pretty complicated analysis to understand how the simple-value change and the array-value change are related.

Try to open and edit a pre-FotS save game, edit the save game and load it. If the change is applied in-game, it's the new version of saves requiring different changes.
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

GREAT!
    thanx Dr. D for the great work.
    Best regards...

Damo_KB8's Avatar Foederatus

Icon7 Re: EditSF 1.0

Before fots. You could edit the one value in the esf and it would be changed, they must of really changed the save file of fots, that's the only thing I noticed so far I can't do. But many thanks for making this editor. Wish I had the skills to even attempt it ha

Savegames, just opened and saved (= no edits made) with EditSF 1.0 cant be loaded in the game. They can't be opend with EditSF 0.5 as well, it writes "File not loaded". The only conclusion to be made is that EditSF 1.0 corrupts the file.
    By the way, files saved with EditSF 1.0 and with EditSF 0.5 have different sizes and both are smaller than original files. That seems to be quite strange and might indicate that some data is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastadonte View Post
    Savegames, just opened and saved (= no edits made) with EditSF 1.0 cant be loaded in the game. They can't be opend with EditSF 0.5 as well, it writes "File not loaded". The only conclusion to be made is that EditSF 1.0 corrupts the file.
    By the way, files saved with EditSF 1.0 and with EditSF 0.5 have different sizes and both are smaller than original files. That seems to be quite strange and might indicate that some data is lost.
    Not necessarily. I originally used taw's tools and also got smaller files upon completion, but it's just that the we seem to use a higher compression than CA as when I loaded the game and saved it, it returned to the original CA size.

I would actually recommend people to use taw's tools to extract all the xml files, and then search through them for the values you want to change with EditSF so you more easily can know how many different places this value may be hidden. Use a program that has the Find in files-ability As mentioned earlier, change of end-year was in three different places.

Links updated 06.05.13

But this still soesn't solve the problem of file corruption when just opening and saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastadonte View Post
    But this still soesn't solve the problem of file corruption when just opening and saving.
    No, that is true. I mainly just commented on the size-"issue" really

Links updated 06.05.13

Yep the original files contain some nodes that are not saved in the optimized format although they can be which is what I do when I save.
    And also yep the game is not able to load a replay file after saving...

The problem now is that I don't have an idea how to approach this since the game doesn't give me any feedback on what went wrong.
    Maybe I shouldn't be optimizing the fields although I could, but I doubt that (and also when I don't, the same problem appears).

It also looks like there is a problem after unzipping the compressed section.
    You can check that by looking into your EditSF directory after opening a file: there will be a "decompressed_section.esf" file there which contains the COMPRESSED_SECTION data un-LZMA'd.
    The game fails to load even that although I didn't change that data at all (just unzipped it) and CA said the game is still able to handle the unzipped files.

If anyone has any idea of what can be done to analyze the problem... I'm stumped TBH.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    What happens if you load the file, save without changing it and try to load that from the game?
    If this doesn't work either, then it's probably a problem with the tool corrupting data.
    It it does work, EditSF's save works fine and your changing a single value is what causes the issue.
    If I save without changing the name, the game will load successfully. However, the values edited are not changed in the game.

Also (on a side note) I noticed that the file size does change in any file opened and saved as. The same thing probably happens with regular Saved files as well.

P.S. Everyone please note that I am only reffering to Fall of the Samurai saves. I don't have Shogun 2 or ROTS. I only have Fall of the Samurai, and that is what my findings are based upon (Through testing save files obviously).

Miles

Mine is the same as Mightymouse for FOTS, i've changed the year, a specific troop size, the number of turns per year and made my money to a round and more obvious number. Didn't try renaming the file, it loads absolutely fine but no changes saved.

When I re-opened the file in the editor i noticed that none of the changes i made had been saved. The File>Save function does not work, i checked the file in the folder and it had not been modified within the last few days. The only option is the Save As function, which as MM also pointed out it takes you back to the main menu if you save it down as a new file (i copied it over the original so the name was not an issue). From looking at the .savefile types, the standard size is between 2.2 and 2.8kb, the file saved down from version 1.0 of this editor is only 1.8kb. Perhaps the Save As function is saving it down as a different file type or cutting something out?

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    It also looks like there is a problem after unzipping the compressed section.
    You can check that by looking into your EditSF directory after opening a file: there will be a "decompressed_section.esf" file there which contains the COMPRESSED_SECTION data un-LZMA'd.
    The game fails to load even that although I didn't change that data at all (just unzipped it) and CA said the game is still able to handle the unzipped files.

If anyone has any idea of what can be done to analyze the problem... I'm stumped TBH.
    Have you compared your code with taw's? While he's using a different approach, command-line, it works. So perhaps if you compare you can find out what he did right in that process and apply it to yours? Using Anton III's tutorial here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=530797 Just a thought.

Links updated 06.05.13

Quote Originally Posted by apw2 View Post
    The File>Save function does not work, i checked the file in the folder and it had not been modified within the last few days.
    Indeed it does not, it does not even write the file. That's an easy thing to fix compared to the other problem

From looking at the .savefile types, the standard size is between 2.2 and 2.8kb, the file saved down from version 1.0 of this editor is only 1.8kb. Perhaps the Save As function is saving it down as a different file type or cutting something out?
    Maybe, but all tests I can think of don't make that seem to be the case. Like I said, differently from what the game does, I always use the optimized version of saving the data. Those are available for bools, ints and uints, which come up several thousands of times in every file so a gain of 4k doesn't sound too unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by zowrath View Post
    Have you compared your code with taw's? While he's using a different approach, command-line, it works. So perhaps if you compare you can find out what he did right in that process and apply it to yours?
    The problem is not that he uses a command line approach but that he uses Python which I not only not know but which is also so different to the about 10 programming languages I do know that it's very hard for me to understand; and I'm not going to learn it just for this. In fact, when I tried installing it the first time around something went wrong and it didn't work and I didn't feel like putting any work into that.

EDIT:
    I've found two problems that somehow covered each other up. Working on fixing them right now.
    Last edited by daniu; April 14, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Warscape Modding Guide

Respecto Patronum

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast