Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A

Default Re: Q&A

do we actually know who the sea people were? philistines? or like a mixture of people?

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Nobody knows for sure. Theories range from Sardinia to Assyria, with a myriad of places in between.

I think this has been asked before somewhere but I'm not sure: Will there be some kind of scripted event when all Greek states will attack Troy at the same time?

Edit: And will alliances really mean something? While playing a Greek faction, will the other states declare war to you or not? And will there be a lot of reinforcements while fighting the east?

Thanks
    Last edited by Wolfshead; June 22, 2006 at 06:27 AM.

We discussed this some time ago, and we've decided against a scripted war on Troy. One of the joys of the Total War games is the ability to re-write history, and besides, it would be exceedingly annoying for a player to have his foreign policy arbitrarily decided for him.

As for alliances, they'll mean as much as they did in BI 1.6 - we're unable to change these hardcoded factors, I'm afraid. It will be possible for you to get a confederation of Greek states though, because when a Greek faction conquers the capital of another Greek faction, it will be able to recruit the other Greek faction's elite units if it has the right buildings in place.

Ok, thx, but isn't there some kind of alliance possible like in RTW while playing Romans where you can see the other Roman factions as well and they won't declare war on you? Just wondering.

Sammur-amat's Avatar Ordinarius

maybe superfaction type?
    ps will you use those kool wall on strat map or vanila?
    ... Are You Shpongled?
    member of S.I.N.

shouldn't all "greek" factions include as victory condition the occupation of Troy?

In today's screen's I saw e.g. Argos not showing a victory condition over Troy...

just wondering...

I'm just hoping all greek factions will attack the east and cross the sea with ships etc. instead of killing each other all the time...

I think justme raised a valid point earlier as to the removal of the continuation of battles. It seemed historical in that period that when the enemy broke and ran it was considered dis-honorable to cut them down as they ran. The army would sit back and get back together. I know this isn't supposed to be a fully historical mod, but even in the film troy, as the armies retreated the winner would back off after a period.

btw, if this is all misguided nonscence and I have it all wrong, just tell me

Well, you all raise good points on the mod, and as much as I would like to achieve a mod along the story line of Troy, it will be hard to do given the limited arm twisting of the AI we modders can do. I will tell you that I will be spending oodles of the time watching the campaign to ensure that no faction dies off too soon and each game will be as different as the number of factions in the game.

So I heard all family members of the same faction will have the same hero (right? correct me if I'm wrong). So you can have 10 Achilles at the same time? Anyway, what if one of the family members dies (Achilles, doh)? Will there still be 9 Achilles to kill? I don't get this.

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think - Socrates
    Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli - Ovidius
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - William Shakespeare
    A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

No, no, that's not right. You'll have the same hero model within each faction, but the characters will be different. They'll all look the same on the battlefield (game limitations), but they will be different. So you'll only have one Achilles, but on the battlefield he'll look the same as Peleus etc.

Ok, but what about the stats than, will all heroes be as strong as Achilles? And can Achilles die by elderdom or not?

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - William Shakespeare
    A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

All generals will have the same base stats. However, there will be various traits and ancillaries that will alter these stats so that different heroes will be of different power. Obviously Achilles will be a very powerful hero.

Ok, nice, thx. And what's up with the turns, will family members elder slower?

Generals will live and die like RTW:BI intended. We are not introducing scripts like 4ypt because we want the mod to be fun without having to do things to the mod before playing it in order to enjoy it.

Ok, I thought you changed the time per turn. Thx for the fast replies guys.

I'd quite like to have four turns per year, but as Honorius said, the script activation is an annoying issue. Also, it means that players have to play the mod for absolutely ages before they see new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea
    I'd quite like to have four turns per year, but as Honorius said, the script activation is an annoying issue. Also, it means that players have to play the mod for absolutely ages before they see new characters.
    Personally I'm all for the 4 turns per years, esp when combined with limited mobility during winter-time (like in the EB mod). It makes gameplay more realistic and I think it would perfectly fit this mod (for one it would give us enough time to enjoy our famous trojan war heroes, Achiles, Agamemnon, Diomedes, etc ), plus I dont mind the activation thing...

In the end I suppose it's a matter of likes and dislikes though...