Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DarthMod Shogun 2 Alternative Launcher

Icon4 DarthMod Shogun 2 Alternative Launcher

Current Launcher Version: 0.0.1.5

FOR USE WITH DARTHMOD 4.1+++

Information:
    Although Darthmod is a comprehensive set of useful mods that change aesthetics and gameplay present in Total War Shogun 2, it's many options can cause headaches and confusion for users. While a new launcher is sorely needed, DARTH VADER's expertise lies within modding. Therefore, after certain suggestions and comments from the community, I have decided to create a launcher with a cleaner, (hopefully) easier to navigate interface that will help enhance players' Darthmod experience.

Currently, the launcher supports all current mods available with the Darthmod: Shogun II package. In addition, we have added features that save your current and custom settings, to allow you to change them (almost) on the fly, so you can switch between profiles at ease.

Future planned features will include a more modular code to allow Darthmod submod authors to integrate their mods within the launcher, as well as a better looking GUI.

Installation and Usage:

1. Download the archive from one of the following links available in the "Download" section below.
    2. Unzip the entire contents of the folder to your "DMS" folder (by default C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/total war shogun 2/data/DMS/)
    3. **IMPORTANT** Since the launcher cannot current import information from the old Darthmod launcher on which mods have been activated, you will have to launch the official Darthmod Shogun 2 launcher, and disable all mods (click on "disable to play vanilla").
    4. Launch the alternative launcher and enjoy!

Uninstallation:
    To uninstall this launcher, remove the following files and folder form your Darthmod Shogun 2 directory:

• DarthMod Shogun 2 Alternate Launcher.exe
    • darth.ini
    • darthvanilla.ini
    • custom.ini
    • current.ini
    • vanilla.ini
    • /desc/ folder

Download and Changelog:
    Download Links

Latest Version:
    Download Here [0.0.1.5]

For people running DM 3.95+:
    Download Here [0.0.1.4a]

Changelog

Version 0.0.1.5:
    + Added support for Darthmod v4.0

Version 0.0.1.4a:
    * Changed the description for the 'Unit Size' option. Previously, the description encouraged users to change the unit size in-game, which broke Darthmod functionality. (Thanks DaFranker!)

Version 0.0.1.4:
    * Fixed handling of additional garrisons and vanilla AI handicap mods, so they should now reflect what is enabled.

Version 0.0.1.3:
    * Fixed catching of errors that would fatally crash the launcher, and added messages for certain errors.
    + Added button for editing mod script on main form.
    + Added new aesthetic look to launcher, to look more "traditional".
    - Removed "edit mod script" option from menu strip.

Version 0.0.1.2:
    * Fixed Vanilla Option not actually disabling DarthMod.
    * Fixed a couple variables that led to incorrectly activating/deactivating the Ashikaga Shogunate boost and income boost.

Version 0.0.1.1:
    + Added option to edit user.script, via the menu strip under "options".
    * Fixed last used settings not saving when using the launcher. It should save your last used settings now.

Version 0.0.1.0:
    + Initial launch.

Development Road Map

This development road map is in no particular order, and thus, some features will be implemented before others.

• Addition of before/after comparison images to descriptions for mods where needed.
    • Aesthetically enhancing the launcher UI.
    • Weaning of launcher off using default Darthmod batch files.
    • Modularity of code, to allow ease of integration of Darthmod submods.

Bugs? Suggestions?
    Post them here. If it's a bug, please list the steps to reproduce them (if reproducible).

How Can I Help The Project?
    Currently, I'm in need of a graphics artists to create graphical assets for the launcher.
    Also, I will need people to create better descriptions for each option in the launcher.

Contact me for more information.
    Last edited by lonewolf80; July 08, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Default Re: DarthMod Shogun 2 Alternative Launcher

Pictures of this before I decide to download??

Sorry for double post.. But it's a lot better then the darth mod for user friendly in that way. I do liek the description thing off to the right which stays there you don't have to hold your mouse very still over the button with the previous launcher.. (getting the description sometimes is a bit difficult)..

I only have one issue with this though.. I like to play with 2x unit size and I don't see a place where I can change the 1.5x to 2.0x. Now I know 2x may be overkill but, that's how I do things haha.

But, great launcher nonetheless.. Just fix those few things and it'll be a keeper in my eyes.. Possibly add some color to it as well

Quote Originally Posted by Thranton View Post
    Sorry for double post.. But it's a lot better then the darth mod for user friendly in that way. I do liek the description thing off to the right which stays there you don't have to hold your mouse very still over the button with the previous launcher.. (getting the description sometimes is a bit difficult)..

I only have one issue with this though.. I like to play with 2x unit size and I don't see a place where I can change the 1.5x to 2.0x. Now I know 2x may be overkill but, that's how I do things haha.

But, great launcher nonetheless.. Just fix those few things and it'll be a keeper in my eyes.. Possibly add some color to it as well
    Thanks. I plan on adding some more aesthetic elements to the launcher soon, but as of right now, it's not top priority.

As for the 2x unit size. I believe the maximum was changed to 1.5x, due to the 2x unit size having conflicting issues with some unit formations. Once Darth figured out a workaround, I'll gladly add it back to the available options.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf80 View Post
    Thanks. I plan on adding some more aesthetic elements to the launcher soon, but as of right now, it's not top priority.

As for the 2x unit size. I believe the maximum was changed to 1.5x, due to the 2x unit size having conflicting issues with some unit formations. Once Darth figured out a workaround, I'll gladly add it back to the available options.
    I swear that I was able to use 2x with the original launcher.. Just had to go to that notepad thing in the top right hand corner and change it from 1.5 to 2.0..

Quote Originally Posted by Thranton View Post
    I swear that I was able to use 2x with the original launcher.. Just had to go to that notepad thing in the top right hand corner and change it from 1.5 to 2.0..
    You can still force it in the exact same way. The user.script file in question you were editing is still in the same place it was (deep within %appdata%), but the DMS launcher only provided a shortcut link to open it quickly from the launcher itself.

The easiest way is just to configure your game to your liking using the new launcher, and then open up the old launcher and go to that "Edit your mod script" option and change the 1.5 to 2.

You can also access the file directly in %APPDATA%\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\scripts.

Alternatively (since we're apparently all about having different options here among Darthmod fanbois, which is a good thing!), you could just grab the nifty UserScript & Preferences editor here and use that: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=434980

---

On topic:

Thanks! This looks great. Perfect for my needs.

Also, sorry for not following up on my offer of help, but my attention got grabbed by other things I figured were higher priority, such as debugging mod stuff and fiddling with PFM code.
    Last edited by DaFranker; April 04, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Adde missing "d". Meta.

Very good job! Makes it all more user-friendly. A suggestion to future versions, regarding graphics options, (not in the immediate future versions I think), would be to implement a picture of the respective graphical change the option gives to the game, even better if there's a "before" and "after" for comparison. Maybe they could fit on the right hand side of the launcher?

Thanks for it! +rep

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranker View Post
    You can still force it in the exact same way. The user.script file in question you were editing is still in the same place it was (deep within %appdata%), but the DMS launcher only provided a shortcut link to open it quickly from the launcher itself.

The easiest way is just to configure your game to your liking using the new launcher, and then open up the old launcher and go to that "Edit your mod script" option and change the 1.5 to 2.

You can also access the file directly in %APPDATA%\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\scripts.

Alternatively (since we're apparently all about having different options here among Darthmod fanbois, which is a good thing!), you could just grab the nifty UserScript & Preferences editor here and use that: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=434980

---

On topic:

Thanks! This looks great. Perfect for my needs.

Also, sorry for not following up on my offer of help, but my attention got grabbed by other things I figured were higher priority, such as debugging mod stuff and fiddling with PFM code.

Ahh thaankyou so much.. But it doesn't help me anyways since the game is unplayable for me still

Quote Originally Posted by Defensore View Post
    Very good job! Makes it all more user-friendly. A suggestion to future versions, regarding graphics options, (not in the immediate future versions I think), would be to implement a picture of the respective graphical change the option gives to the game, even better if there's a "before" and "after" for comparison. Maybe they could fit on the right hand side of the launcher?

Thanks for it! +rep
    +1

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback! I've updated the launcher a bit, to allow people to edit the user script. You can see that and more in the changelog.

As for the before/after photos, I'm actually considering it, but seeing how lazy I am, I probably wouldn't put that too much of a priority.

@DaFranker: No worries, I believe what you're doing will help the modding community as a whole a lot more than what my launcher will.

Small bug: The Income Boost option applies the Ashikaga Boost pack, apparently. Haven't tried to debug at all yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranker View Post
    Small bug: The Income Boost option applies the Ashikaga Boost pack, apparently. Haven't tried to debug at all yet.
    I found the problem: There was a little error with my code taking in the booleans from the options for Ashikaga and Income boost; I've remedied that. Sorry for any inconveniences.

Apparently the option to activate the increased garrison is not working. Sorry for my english, I'm Brazilian. = P

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo Prado View Post
    Apparently the option to activate the increased garrison is not working. Sorry for my english, I'm Brazilian. = P
    Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Increased garrisons seem to be working for me. Can you tell me which options you've selected for the first three "gameplay options" (unit size, garrison, AI Handicap)?

Lito's Avatar Civis

When I'll get home I will definitely give it a try.

Luverly! I've given it a go and the functionality definitely is more my style - I guess I'm just that kinda guy - needs perhaps a little fine-tuning and polish, but I'm already happy to use it over the regular launcher and eagerly await updates! Early days yet, but the more intuitive the better.

Perhaps this deserves its own submod section? That is, if Darth dosen't co-opt it himself.

I will leave that here to get some attention and feedback and then I will sticky it to the submod section. Thank you for this work and when it is optimised I may replace the old launcher with this.

***You need to put some screenshots***

Lito's Avatar Civis

Tried it, like it better than current want, easier, at least for me to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf80 View Post
    Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Increased garrisons seem to be working for me. Can you tell me which options you've selected for the first three "gameplay options" (unit size, garrison, AI Handicap)?

I tested again, and realized that when I put "on", in additional garrison, doe not work, but when i put "off", it works. Exactly the same happens with the sashimono removel, "off", remove the sashimono and "on" put the sashimon.
    Now to answer your question, before installing your launcher, i wore unit size 1.5, Additional garrison ON, Ai handcape ON. Before installing the launcher, I opened the original launcher and put "disable to play vanila", and in your launcher, put the same settings i uses before.

I loved the launcher, but not know why I'm having this problem.

Again, sorry for English, if not undertand something, ask again.

I want to say your Download link isn't updated to the latest version. Reason why I say this is because you stated that the ability to change user.script manually is under the options tab. Yet I only see the check for updates and about (which is greyed out).. Also, I don't know if this is a darthmod bug or not, but I have the user.script set to x2.0 (using this launcher), but I still only get 1.5?? Any reasons why this could possibly happen..

Hmmm.. My bad, Disregard the last part of my last post.. I was modifying the wrong .txt file I believe.. Was doing the one in where you install the mod, not the one in APPDATA.. I guess I should fully read someones post before I complain haha.. Thankyou though!

Btw darth, please include a edit button on the forums.. I dislike double posting

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast