Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opponent AI in sea battles never move unless attacked first

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Opponent AI in sea battles never move unless attacked first

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    I agree with Humble. If the naval AI is on the defensive why not park at the edge and start firing at your opponent with your broadsides before they get a shot off? And then they start moving as you try to flank them.

Seems like a smart move to me, though it can be annoying especially when there are only a few ships.
    I think this is the problem. Some people are complaining because the Ship AI is using correct tactics, like `camping` on a hill with its troops. Their job is to make things harder for the attacker.

But with a bit of brains it is not hard to deal with. I like the fact that the AI presents an opposition.

Have a torpedo boat or Koketsu class Ironclad (or anything that has 1000 range) in your fleet and set up your own broadside when ships come in...

Lazy AI if you ask me...

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Ok, I`m really trying to figure out what version of FOTS you guys are playing.
    v1.1.0 there you go but I doubt that will help you.

I just had one of my first biggish battles with a Warrior, a second battleship and a gunboat against two Kasaga Class enemy ships. I was attacking. They were at the back with their flanks facing me. They fired at me and I moved towards them, but when I was about half way towards them they started moving and also attacking me. We were moving around eachother, my gunboat being chased off.

I cannot see anything wrong here.
    Yes the Ai camping the redline in a single player campaign is a great feature.

And as to far how far away they are, you are all just too impatient. Shooting begins almost immediately and you can even speed up time if you must.
    I play tones of naval battles and playing as Tosa with almost 9k in fleet upkeep, I am fighting 4-5 naval battles a turn. If you think shooting starts almost immediately in open sea battles, like I said before coastal and port battles are great its just the open sea battle maps that are out of proportion.

Look at the timer in the top right, I set my battle limit for 40 minutes so you can clearly see its about 4 minutes of traveling at full speed to get with-in range.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    I agree with Humble. If the naval AI is on the defensive why not park at the edge and start firing at your opponent with your broadsides before they get a shot off? And then they start moving as you try to flank them.

Seems like a smart move to me, though it can be annoying especially when there are only a few ships.
    Yeah real smart but why does the Ai have to do it next to the redline, I would have no problem with that if they moved out a bit in column then turn to face you. The Ai fleet just seems so lifeless, why can they maneuver just a bit before forming a defensive position or better yet don't have the redline so close to the deployment zone.

As for camping the redline its a noob tactic and shouldn't be used by the Ai or by players. Some consider that an exploit and make rules so players don't do that in tournament matches.
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; April 02, 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: off topic, insults, antagonizing

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Getting all upset and bleating at me isn`t going to make you any more right. You are attacking; the AI is defending. It has time to hold back to use its greatest range to bombard you as you come on. When you get closer, it will then move and attack. It`s the correct battle strategy.
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; April 02, 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: insults

I don't know if this does or doesn't make sense in fots because I don't have it, but this is happening in vanilla S2 and in S2 it absolutely doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracles View Post
    Is this a bug I'm curious? Feels very weird they do not move at all until they get attacked.

Using realism mode.

Not that I wanna necro this thread but you should check my mod if ur still around. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1423069654

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12