Thread: Recruiting questions

Default Recruiting questions

I have some quick questions about recruiting native units in conquered lands. As I’ve said in another post I’m playing as the Eastern Roman Empire in the dark age campaign I’ve reconquered Italy and most of North Africa, but I can’t recruiting roman units in North Italy and North Africa, is there certain level of infrastructure I need to built to be able to recruit a proper Roman army? Or do I need to convert the region to my faction’s religion? Both? Another question; when the year reaches 1080 in my dark age campaign do I need select early era on the loader instead of dark age?

Consulo's Avatar Laurifer Invictus

Default Re: Recruiting questions

There are only certain regions that different factions can recruit their "native" professional military units. Historically, due to the generally permanent loss of the Italian peninsula to other nations, the Eastern Romans cannot recruit their own professional armies there or anywhere else. Their main area of professional armies can be raised in their native Greek holdings and in western Anatolia.

There are some places in former Roman territories that have some interesting and unique units. Missina in particular has Grifones which are very handy, especially since you can recruit them in mass.

As for changing over from your dark age campaign to the early era...The way those two campaigns are set up...you can't transfer over. Seeing as you've changed the history of over 200 years of progress from the dark ages to the early medieval period. You can continue playing your dark age campaign for as long as you wish I believe though.

Feel free to add me.

Thank you, I was hoping there would a system of (re)Romanization along the lines of Europa Barbarorum or Invasio Barbarorvm. But I can see the realism in this but after a generation back under roman rule it seems like people would see themselves as Romans again. But I know the Eastern Roman Empire of 800-1000 was no longer even that of Justinian much less that of the classical era, the culture and economy had changed and thus it might have been harder and taken longer to rebuild the infrastructure to be able to produce units in reconquered western provinces. Now say I wanted to “fix” this, I know all I would have to do is delete some text from some text files, which files would I want to look at. Related to this I want to enable the Byzantines to build highways like in Stainless steal how do I do that? Of course I know that this those changes wont effect saved games.

Consulo's Avatar Laurifer Invictus

Those things I'm not entirely sure about, but maybe others do? I'm actually interested in having paved/cobbled roads again along with some other buildings for various factions.

Feel free to add me.