Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: The Official WIP Features Thread

FATW always shares

Aradan's done and is doing a top job. I'd like to officially recognise him as the FATW development team member who has put in the most hours and effort and quality into the mod. I don't say that lightly, because I'm admitting he's now exceeded my contribution! This is the final badge, Aradan
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Yay me! Champagne all around!

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

A fabulous worker in a fabulous mod. Hear hear!

Update time again.

Liege Opinion System

A new system has been implemented, where each character has an opinion about his liege. This opinion is influenced by the leader's authority and diplomatic skills, the character's relations to him (children like their father, royal princes like their brothers, sons of ex-leaders dislike new leaders), whether they share subculture/subfaction/alignment, personality similarities/differences and semi-random positive/negative events between them, a character's approval/disapproval of the leader's policies and his assigned tasks, his possession of a lordship title and the actual ownership of the respective settlement, the time a lord is kept away from his lands and whether or not he is allowed to set the tax level in his lands (and in case he is not, the tax level the leader sets), the revocation of a lordship title and the leader's holding of a title the character feels entitled to. Vassals who like their leaders can prove invaluable by encouraging soldiers to fight for them and making sure their lands contribute generously to the royal coffers and army, while displeased vassals tend to behave in the opposite way. Not all of those will make their opinion publicly known though; deceitful characters might show their true colours only when it suits them.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

That's ... astonishing!

And a wee bit over the top.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Thanks.

What is over the top? The concept in general, the amount of factors, the factors themselves?

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

That's a really fine feature.Can''t wait to try making some verry angry lords.

The amount of factors I think
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

The more the factors, the finer the detail and level of realism, no? Unless of course we overdo it. But the key to not overdoing it is keeping the number of factors that a player can directly affect to a manageable level. I think we're ok with that. Family relations, personality similarities, ethnicity/tribe/alignment differences, those are not under the player's control, they either apply or not and the player must simply acknowledge them and plan his strategy around them. Most of what the player actively has to do is:
    a) give titles, don't take them back, and protect the respective settlements (which players already do)
    b) don't keep lords away from their titled settlements too long (which harms the efficient governance of provinces anyway)
    c) allow lords to set the taxes in their lands (somewhat limiting, yes, but hey, what's the point of them being lords if they don't get to decide anything themselves)
    d) increase his FL's authority (reign length is automatic, factional achievements are already pursued by the player, so personal achievements are what the player actively has to try and do, like having his leader win battles, etc).

That's pretty manageable for the player, I think. However, if anyone disagrees, I'd be happy to discuss it.

Brilliant! I'm really looking forward to this feature. It’ll make player’s every move significant and bear consequences with it. Plus, I really do enjoy roleplaying in TW games and this feature is having a prominent feel of feudalism about it, which is good in my opinion.
    From what I read it seems pretty manageable to me too; and quite enjoyable.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

seems great!

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    c) allow lords to set the taxes in their lands (somewhat limiting, yes, but hey, what's the point of them being lords if they don't get to decide anything themselves)
    How do you let a lord set taxes? Auto-manage a settlement while the lord is present?

Yep.

Sounds good, as long as it's still possible to turn off auto-management completely. Managing cities and provinces is one of the main motivators in TW games for me, as opposed to the rather repetitive constant wars.

When settlements are auto-managed, the player can still choose to manage construction and recruitment himself, which leaves only taxes actually being managed automatically. I'm considering forcing tax auto-management (by removing the toggle-able option from the menu). How important is the manual management of taxes for you compared to construction and recruitment (given that the AI generally taxes settlements to the highest possible level that keeps their happiness over 70)?

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    How important is the manual management of taxes for you compared to construction and recruitment (given that the AI generally taxes settlements to the highest possible level that keeps their happiness over 70)?
    Not very important, as long as the income is good. I'm afraid though I'm rather fond of austerity when it comes to taxes, always setting them to maximum unless there's a reason not to. Comes from playing too much EB, I guess.

Hm, that could leave our cities pretty depopulated, but it's something AI has to deal anyway. Perhaps that's a good thing, it will force players to mind their manpower, large losses in the field of battle could be crippling. Usually I have enough big cities that I dont care about manpower implications of battles. And since city development isn's tied to population, there are no negative there.

I suggest trying it in beta or first release and see what will the reception be.

Default Re: The Official WIP Features Thread (last upd: July 6)

Since it won't be necessary any longer to "grow" a settlement, tax management will be of a very low priority.
    As long as the AI's settings won't make by cities shrink, I wouldn't mind if the AI controls taxes.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Since it won't be necessary any longer to "grow" a settlement, tax management will be of a very low priority.
    As long as the AI's settings won't make by cities shrink, I wouldn't mind if the AI controls taxes.

Ay , you have a point.

The important factor, for me, are the traits that result from tax levels. Personally, I would like to see this factor removed so that the "option" on taxes is about player discretion rather than meeting an arbitrary game preference for maximum taxes.