Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 286

Thread: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

  1. #181

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Excellent, glad to hear that.

  2. #182
    Finn's Avatar Total Realism
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,233

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Great work Aradan and all who work on DoM.....It's great to see the RTW engine getting pushed to it's outer limits


  3. #183

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!
    Also: since it's been a year since this teaser was made: is the mod out yet? And where can I download it if it is?

  4. #184

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    The opening post was made a year ago, but it was updated a couple of days ago with all that content. It was quite briefer when it was first made, as a lot of features have been added during the last year (and we're considering adding one-two more even now).

    So, no, the version of the mod previewed in this thread, "Dominion of Men", is not out yet. The previous version, "The New Shadow" was released a long time ago (download here), but includes only a fraction of the features.
    DoM is close to completion though. The biggest obstacle is that our unit modeller/skinner is inactive, so we have nobody to make the last few units we need. The rest of the mod is finished, minus balancing and the last bits and bytes of traits/ancillaries (and 2-3 map tweaks I'd like).
    Last edited by Aradan; December 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM.

  5. #185
    iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada!
    Posts
    477
    Tournaments Joined
    1
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Looks amazing Aradan. I'm blown away at the level of detail.
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

  6. #186

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    I just saw an update (of an old update ), read it and truly enjoyed it. It looks like you overthought everything that can be overthought (among everything even interface elements for the Hobbits –everything is ready for DOH). Amount of effort gone in this mod honestly amazes me.

    Features like “Over-extension” and “hording for every mannish faction” will spice things up really nicely. Also, “Succession Priority” and “Peace with the dead” were new for me and are IMHO really important - well done. However, I have a couple of questions or (maybe wrong) conclusions…

    So, if I understood right Orcs, Wargs and Trolls are recruitable ONLY in the orkish strongholds and not in the settlements anymore? Sounds pretty in accordance with the age (DOM we are talking about- they are not so numerous) and the human nature (most people would not welcome the idea of living near them). A question comes to my mind – can strongholds revolt too? Also, I assume orkish stronghold will, in addition to buildings, have much larger population than “normal” forts?

    Also, cultic Harad, Rhûn, and Dunland keeping the core of native units; but elites and levies are cultic, IMO represents the situation quite nicely. While core units would fight in the way they always did, levies – with new religious fervor would join the “crusade”, and bosses would be bosses – doing their ways.

    I see Thranduil is still in Middle-earth and has more power in his hands than ever. No wonder war for Elves (–human player) is definitely NOT excluded as an option... Also, I see that you worked out aging really well. You simply removed years from sight and represented it in some measure with traits. So, for Elves age is unknown and they go across the sea, and for Dwarves only Eru knows how old they really were when they died. I guess the Elves (and possibly the Dwarves) will be virtually infertile and adopt faction members? Representing the whole life cycle of an Elf or to a lesser degree a Dwarf (- coming of age, …) would be impossible with the engine at your disposal. Will you also as you represented effects of an old age (TNS) for men represent the weariness for the Elves?

    As I always strived to be completely honest with you; I’ll admit that that few things poked me in the eyes. First is Mjölnir on the Northmen UI which I find inappropriate, but I guess I’ll have to get used to it. Second is the fact that names of the family members are the same as in TNS, but I guess I can conclude you haven’t change them YET (Saelon in Ethring, Cemendur, or Dúnhere).
    Last edited by Jagmodo; December 28, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

  7. #187

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    So, if I understood right Orcs, Wargs and Trolls are recruitable ONLY in the orkish strongholds and not in the settlements anymore? Sounds pretty in accordance with the age (DOM we are talking about- they are not so numerous) and the human nature (most people would not welcome the idea of living near them). A question comes to my mind – can strongholds revolt too? Also, I assume orkish stronghold will, in addition to buildings, have much larger population than “normal” forts?
    Riderless Wargs are also available in regular settlements (in appropriate places). Ridden Wargs, Trolls and all Orcs are available from orkish strongholds, yes. Mannish forts do not revolt, orkish strongholds can. And yes, they will have a larger population in order to support recruitment.

    Also, cultic Harad, Rhûn, and Dunland keeping the core of native units; but elites and levies are cultic, IMO represents the situation quite nicely. While core units would fight in the way they always did, levies – with new religious fervor would join the “crusade”, and bosses would be bosses – doing their ways.
    Yes, that's the idea more or less. It was something requested by fans a year or so ago, when the reforms mechanic was first described in detail.

    I see Thranduil is still in Middle-earth and has more power in his hands than ever. No wonder war for Elves (–human player) is definitely NOT excluded as an option... Also, I see that you worked out aging really well. You simply removed years from sight and represented it in some measure with traits. So, for Elves age is unknown and they go across the sea, and for Dwarves only Eru knows how old they really were when they died. I guess the Elves (and possibly the Dwarves) will be virtually infertile and adopt faction members? Representing the whole life cycle of an Elf or to a lesser degree a Dwarf (- coming of age, …) would be impossible with the engine at your disposal. Will you also as you represented effects of an old age (TNS) for men represent the weariness for the Elves?
    It's impossible to make characters completely infertile. Even if it wasn't, we still wouldn't want that, because it would essentially kill family lines for the Elves; after a while all characters would be random adoptees from minor houses. That said, characters no longer "come of age", they "join the court", which is a much more flexible term, which can also apply to Elves being "born". They are not actually born, but they simply become mature enough to come to the court and start preparing for taking a more active role in government. As for weariness, yes, there will be a trait kicking in after after a long time, but not all characters get it before they die/go west.

    As I always strived to be completely honest with you; I’ll admit that that few things poked me in the eyes. First is Mjölnir on the Northmen UI which I find inappropriate, but I guess I’ll have to get used to it. Second is the fact that names of the family members are the same as in TNS, but I guess I can conclude you haven’t change them YET (Saelon in Ethring, Cemendur, or Dúnhere).
    The names are the same as TNS because campaign setup is WIP; they will obviously change for the release. Mjollnir, I assume is the thingy at the centre of the northmannish UI's main panel? I had no idea, the UI (which is great) is created by cedric37 and we hadn't realized it was a specific, recognisable artefact. If this is really mjollnir, then it will be edited/removed/replaced. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Last edited by Aradan; December 28, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

  8. #188

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Jawdropping
    I really like all the details added to increase the immersion. Outstanding job.

  9. #189
    Joar's Avatar - Now You Know -
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,389

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Epic! Love the details and immersion that goes into the mod.

  10. #190
    Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Castelo dos Mouros, Portugal
    Posts
    2,477

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Congratulation. Amazing work. FATW is on my "to play in 2014" list.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

    My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

  11. #191

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    After read this preview one time (i must read it again, and perhaps a third time too), i'm really...without words, very impressive work guys!!!. The most amazing preview since a lot time ago...

    Good luck with the next release and keep the good work!

  12. #192

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Thanks guys!

  13. #193
    Thangaror's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ducatus Saxonia
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Mjollnir, I assume is the thingy at the centre of the northmannish UI's main panel? I had no idea, the UI (which is great) is created by cedric37 and we hadn't realized it was a specific, recognisable artefact. If this is really mjollnir, then it will be edited/removed/replaced. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Hehe! βάρβαρος!!!

    Just kidding. Since the Rohirrim/Northmen are Anglo-Saxonish, you (respectively cedric) might want to check the amazing Stafforshire Hoard, which contains some marvelous artifacts, e.g. this horse head.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

  14. #194

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    This preview is really outstanding, this will be one of the best TW mod ever.
    It's fascinating to see how well-thought your work is, cannot wait to reinstall RTW and try this mod!

  15. #195
    UpNSmoke225's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    I am extremely excited about this mod....When is the ETA?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

  16. #196

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    When we know, we'll let everyone know. It's difficult to estimate given how life always gets in the way.

  17. #197

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Hehe! βάρβαρος!!!

    Just kidding. Since the Rohirrim/Northmen are Anglo-Saxonish, you (respectively cedric) might want to check the amazing Stafforshire Hoard, which contains some marvelous artifacts, e.g. this horse head.
    Rohirrim aren't modeled after Anglo-Saxons, who were maritime raiders and had almost no mounted warriors. They never formed one unique kingdom but rather a number of smaller ones.
    Eorlings and other Northmen resemble more the Goths. Also, Romans used Goths as a buffer between them and the Huns in the same fashion as Gondor used northmen.

  18. #198
    Agent007's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ar-Another View Post
    Rohirrim aren't modeled after Anglo-Saxons, who were maritime raiders and had almost no mounted warriors. They never formed one unique kingdom but rather a number of smaller ones.
    Eorlings and other Northmen resemble more the Goths. Also, Romans used Goths as a buffer between them and the Huns in the same fashion as Gondor used northmen.
    I suppose you can imagine those likenesses, if you wish. After all, there are many different personal interpretations about eventual "matches" between the different peoples and realms of Middle Earth and those of real world history.
    But the point is that, in fact, Tolkien DID thought about the Rohirrim as Anglo-Saxons: not the "exact" Anglo-Saxons from history, but Anglo-Saxons with cavalry. He tried to create a civilization that reflected what would have been the Saxons with a strong horse military, which they lacked in real history - and that aspect, ultimately, played an important role when the Saxons faced the Normans in 1066; the Norman victory was also a victory of heavy cavalry. And Tolkien perceived the events of 1066 as a "tragedy", regretting the fact that the Saxons had almost no cavalry - or none, even.
    All this is said and explained by researchers, scholars and people who knew Tolkien; you can, for instance, check this on extended DVD editions of the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. The movies may not be for everyone's tastes or lacking important aspects from the books, but the extra discs of the extended editions do have some good insight on the lore.

  19. #199

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
    I suppose you can imagine those likenesses, if you wish. After all, there are many different personal interpretations about eventual "matches" between the different peoples and realms of Middle Earth and those of real world history.
    But the point is that, in fact, Tolkien DID thought about the Rohirrim as Anglo-Saxons: not the "exact" Anglo-Saxons from history, but Anglo-Saxons with cavalry. He tried to create a civilization that reflected what would have been the Saxons with a strong horse military, which they lacked in real history - and that aspect, ultimately, played an important role when the Saxons faced the Normans in 1066; the Norman victory was also a victory of heavy cavalry. And Tolkien perceived the events of 1066 as a "tragedy", regretting the fact that the Saxons had almost no cavalry - or none, even.
    All this is said and explained by researchers, scholars and people who knew Tolkien; you can, for instance, check this on extended DVD editions of the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. The movies may not be for everyone's tastes or lacking important aspects from the books, but the extra discs of the extended editions do have some good insight on the lore.
    I'd rather assume they have some superficial insights on the lore, if that is to be called insights. They just take something out of context and make a big point out of it. They would say something like: "Rohirric language (in fact their nomenclature, titles etc.) is represented by Old English (aka Anglo-Saxon). That's a proof."
    But that is quite opposite of proof. Rohirric is REPRESENTED by Anglo-Saxon in books, just as Westron is represented by modern English. But Westron ain't modern English and Rohirric ain't Anglo-Saxon. Tolkien just wanted to point out that the relations between modern English and Anglo-Saxon are very similar to the relations between Westron and Rohirric.
    Those Rohirric names in the books are in fact "translations" of original Rohirric names (and those look very Gothic).

  20. #200

    Default Re: DoM Gameplay Mechanics and Features Overview (upd: 24/12/2013)

    Because I'm feeling pedantic and trying to avoid working on an essay, there is some evidence that the later Anglo-Saxon kingdoms relied on cavalry in battle. We know from burials that aristocratic warriors were frequently buried with saddles, reins, and other equipment used in riding horses. Royal Edict mention, similar to the edicts of Carolingian France, that warriors were required to bring a horse with them when called up. Furthermore, the changes in weapons interred with warriors is very similar to the changes seen on the continent where the use of cavalry in battle was far better documented. If Anglo-Saxon combat style was radically different from the continent, we would not expect to see similar changes in weapons.
    Source: Warfare and Society in the Barbarian West by Guy Halsall.
    I would type more but for some reason the response box at TWC isn't always registering the characters I type, making it very tedious to type a message.
    "Oh no! Uzbeks have drunk my battery fluid!"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •