Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RELEASED SUBMOD]Trustworthy AI alpha

Kiliš Alý's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Default [RELEASED SUBMOD]Trustworthy AI alpha

This is a small modification that involves 2 files. To install it, simply copy the files in your \data folder.
    I suggest to make a backup in case you don't like it\ruins your game. The 2 files are descr_faction_standings.txt and descr_diplomacy.xml.

Features:

The aim of this is to make AI to act more "trustworthy", so it is more likely to ally to you if you have mutual enemies\allies, and is more likely to hate you if you are enemy of its allies or vice-versa. It uses (almost) the same logic for both human and AI faction.

Also now AI is more likely to give military access to its allies, and will not become so angry if one of its allies is walking on its lands without military access (but do not exaggerate, or your relations can drop significatively).

Basically I am enjoing it becouse now AI is acting in a more trustworthy and less backstabbing game, so if some factions have made a "league" now they are more likely to mantain it. But i'm not sure if this thing should me implemented in the main mod, since maybe some people like the Vanilla backstabbing AI, so I am releasing it as a sub-mod. If feedback is positive this may be implemented, while if it is not, thingst will remain as they are now.

It should be compatible with any submod.

Disclaimer
    this cannot fix some retardnesses of M2 AI, like the fact it never comes to help you if you are besieged, or that Starks never march south to save Tullys. They'll simply hate Lannisters a bit more Also Dorne and Arryn may become xtremely passive if allied with all their neightbours. Suggested for a "peaceful" Total War game

If you have tryed this, please provide feedback:
    - Did you prefer tha AI you found in Alpha, or
    - Did you prefer this one instead?
    Last edited by Kiliš Alý; September 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: WTF!? it was a pool!

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros

Default Re: [RELEASED]Trustworthy AI alpha

Interesting, it could be used in the Usurper submod to make sure that the rebel alliance and loyalist alliance will not break too quickly.

Artifex

Oh, of course it is free to use

This sounds like an interesting idea and it'd be good to get some feedback on how well it works.

But despite being largely lore accurate, I'm not sure whether Dorne and Arryn becoming extremely passive would be be a good thing in gameplay terms however.

Default Re: [RELEASED SUBMOD]Trustworthy AI alpha

Will this work on the King of the Rivers and Hills Mod?

Quote Originally Posted by imperfek View Post
    Will this work on the King of the Rivers and Hills Mod?

I presume it will, yes. I would recommend making backups old files however.

Artifex

Bump. 263 downloads and no feedback at all!?

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

I repeat my previous post that this should not need feedback, its needs to be implemented if it works (have no time to test it).

Less backstabing in Westeros = not Westeros

Artifex

I repeat my previous post that this should not need feedback, its needs to be implemented if it works (have no time to test it).

its needs to be implemented if it works
    Well, it is here to be tested. It does not matter if you are running alpha version or 1.0. Maybe AI is too strict in his behaviour, or way too predictable, this is why the files are released in this form.

I'll try to expand the concept.

At the moment there is nobody in team playing W:TW; current version is not funny, and by "not funny" I mean things like all generals have same portraits and there are only NE Bodyguard as units, and scripts are not finished and trats\ancs are unbalanced. Not to mention vanilla units and buildings and strat_models. When theese things will be finished\encoded we may released a closed beta for testing, and then there will be no need of ask community feedback.

But, in this specific case, the work in this 1st post was not made by the team "as a whole", I made it for myself months ago. I wanted a different AI behaviour and tried to make it. The final AI behaviour of W:TW, or at least some aspects, must be decided yet, but since nobody of us - I think - have the will\skills to make an AI from scratch, AI behaviour will be considered as last addition. If attempt to make a credible AI ends in a failure, then we have no other choice but using vanilla kingdoms for 1.0 and try to implement XAI for future versions.

Also this thread was supposed to be a pool with 2 options:
    -I tried it and was good
    - Vanilla was better

but it did not appear, somehow, so I must ask for feedback in this thread.
    So, here the final question, added in OP:
    - Did you prefer tha AI you found in Alpha, or
    - Did you prefer this one instead?

also remember that (a point against this Trustworthy AI) the game played is the Game of Thrones, factions are supposed to be cunning enough to betray you when you don't expect it.

EDIT: cross-posting, what Kamnik said
    Last edited by Kiliš Alý; September 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Unfortunately I get an error saying that the archive is an unkown format or damaged? Any ideas?

In my opinion though, W:TW would really be missing out if it didn't use the XAI 4.0 system. Some of its best features include:
    Campaign AI:
    + Aggressive Defense of AI territories and besieging
    + Allies cooperation in attacks, for both AI and human.
    + Factions builds up! Much larger armies used for assaulting players, and defending territories.
    Battle AI:
    + The AI opponent, will stay back and command his army, only in times of trouble will he save the day.
    + The only BAI that has equal loss ratios between the AI and Human (with proper EDU Balance of course)
    + XbAI will properly siege attack the human, just as you would the AI!!!
    Vanilla AI is too simple, a mod like this should have the best AI system!

Hm ok, well I played 0.53 for a couple of hours and the campaign AI is terrible, Tullys attacking Renly and Arryns backstabbing Tullys, totally useless alliances like the Starks who immediatly retreat North form turn 1. It must be changed for future releases and your ideas sound really good, unfortunately I have but 1 day in which I can play games and therefor have no time to test it, sorry.
    Just please don't release 1.0 without a proper campaign AI (even though the wait is killing me).

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

Just gave this a try and the first impression is that this improves the AI a little bit, I played as House Joffrey and managed to get a alliance with House Arryn. Normally they attack House Tully at my campaigns which they did not in this one, so far they have not backstabbed me at Saltpans. They being passive is something that really makes sense lore wise. When I traded map against map with House Lannister the demanded 8000 gold that I did not expect. House Tyrell formed a alliance with House Stark and House Tully, that also makes sense since House Renly is still alive. House Greyjoy, House Stannis and House Martell have remained pretty passive so far. One of the things I noticed is that my relations with House Tyrell and House Stark have decreased a lot when I kill Tullys and Renlys.

I play the enhanced if that is of any difference!
    "Fňr jag kalla dig Bajen? Det ńr lńttare att komma ihňg..."

I haven't played this yet, (Too busy), but wouldn't this diplomatic setup possibly result in vast, unbreakable alliances? I mean, If Houses Tyrell, Renly, Stark and Tully all ally due to their war with the Lannisters, this would be a game breaking alliance. Unless the computer disregards alliances when claiming kingship, would could cause more problems.

One of the positive points of M2TW diplomacy AI was that the larger an Alliance block got, the less stable it become, leading to fracturing and massive wars.

I'll try this out over the weekend, with the alpha. Thanks for posting the submod.

Commanding House Baratheon of Dragonstone in War of the Throne

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Perry View Post
    I haven't played this yet, (Too busy), but wouldn't this diplomatic setup possibly result in vast, unbreakable alliances? I mean, If Houses Tyrell, Renly, Stark and Tully all ally due to their war with the Lannisters, this would be a game breaking alliance. Unless the computer disregards alliances when claiming kingship, would could cause more problems.

One of the positive points of M2TW diplomacy AI was that the larger an Alliance block got, the less stable it become, leading to fracturing and massive wars.

I'll try this out over the weekend, with the alpha. Thanks for posting the submod.
    Well I prefer vast unbreakable alliances with a totally Lore-raping AI who attacks everyone who should be his ally.

I pasted the two files (descr diplomacy and descr_faction_etc) in my med2/data folder, hope that does the trick. I will post my results shortly.

Artifex

@ Louis, no, you must paste them into your \mods\westeros\data folder,otherwise they'll affect vanilla medieval!
    Last edited by Kiliš Alý; September 12, 2012 at 01:19 PM.

Korpskog's Avatar Praepositus

Some unusual Stark activity happened at my Joffrey campaign. First their alliance with Tully was shattered for a couple of turns but then restored. They launched a random attack against Arryn in the Riverlands (my turf) 1/3 full stack lead by Greatjon Umber. Starks also attacked Arryn at the Twins but not until I destroyed the last remaining Tullys at Seagard. Made a alliance with Martell, after a couple of turns they invaded the Stormlands and helped me destroy Renly for good. So far no backstabbing even since i am the only one with borders connected to them.

Something that bothered me was that my relationship with Stannis became outstanding since I killed a lot of Renly armies, even when I had Dragonstone's port blockaded and repeatedly tried to take Dragonstone. Same thing with Greyjoys! The thing that may be added is that both of them had claimed a crown.

Also I noticed that Stannis became the richest faction after a couple of turns, that must depend on the fact that I refused the ironbank their payment?
    "Fňr jag kalla dig Bajen? Det ńr lńttare att komma ihňg..."

I like the idea of the mod.I am concerned somewhat tho about stability,this mod wont cose any CTDs right?

No in my experience this mod doesn┤t cause CTD┤S.
    I noticed not a huge difference in the actual behaviour of the factions, some are still quite fickle, like the Arryns attacking the Tullys. This time the Arryns did attack Joffrey when I allied the them for awhile so that was a nice surprise.
    What was evident was the fact that if you kill soldiers of an enemy of your ally, your allies will like you more.
    That was quite a good thing, the more Lannisters I killed the more the Tullys loved me.
    I did encounter a strange thing, I had half a stack of cavalry (I played with the Starks) and I helped a full stack of Tully soldiers against a full stack of Lannister (under the command of Jaime Lannister), the battle was unwinnable and half of the Tully army was already routing so I withdrawed all my cavalry from the battle (they had fought hard but the battle wasn┤t winnable). I believe we suffered a clear defeat or something and I got a message that my relations with the Tullys had dropped till abysmal, I don┤t know what caused it because we did lose together, so why hate me?
    Well I liked the mod, alliances did seem to have more effect due to the fact people start hating enemies of their allies, however in 0.53 (enhanced) diplomacy still sucks so I can┤t say diplomacy was perfect but it was definitely a improvement.

Artifex

Well, thanks for this report The thing that concerns me is this battle "error" when you retreat and your ally hates you... I am not sure what exactly causes it but will give a look ASAP. In meantime, have a rep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast