Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Next TW: American Civil War?

JOPAKE's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Next TW: American Civil War?

They could also add factions from Europe like:The German Empire, France, Great Britain, Hasburg Empire, Spain, Mexico, countries that had a slight effect on America for trade, and then have US factions like: Army of Northern Virginia (Lee), Army of the Potomac (Grant), Army of Tennessee (Hooker), with other generals of the Civil War packed into those armies. Also, the campaign could start a little before the South seceded from the North in a period where as the Union (at the time would just be the US) you could be dealing with unrest in the south, and as the "Confederates" (also still US but a separate faction) you could be building up your armies and dealing with the Mexican armies for control of Texas. Not sure if this would work too well but it's an idea that I would love to see!

JOPAKE's Avatar Libertus

They could also add factions from Europe like:The German Empire, France, Great Britain, Hasburg Empire, Spain, Mexico, countries that had a slight effect on America for trade, and then have US factions like: Army of Northern Virginia (Lee), Army of the Potomac (Grant), Army of Tennessee (Hooker), with other generals of the Civil War packed into those armies. Also, the campaign could start a little before the South seceded from the North in a period where as the Union (at the time would just be the US) you could be dealing with unrest in the south, and as the "Confederates" (also still US but a separate faction) you could be building up your armies and dealing with the Mexican armies for control of Texas. Not sure if this would work too well but it's an idea that I would love to see!

JOPAKE's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by John F. Kennedy View Post
    Why would CA make a game that only covered two factions.

They'd go bankrupt that quarter.

That'd be an awfully boring game. With SEGA's recent losses, I don't think they'd want to put forth a game on one of their few strong titles that only targets a portion of the fanbase.

JOPAKE's Avatar Libertus

Sorry for pasting problem

Victoria TW for the win.

I imagine it would focus more on a full-sized Asia map, to allow players to play out the Anglo-Russian 'Great Game' in Central Asia and China, as well as allowing European 'intervention' in China.

America would be a pretty secondary theater, although ACW and Latin American independence wars would be an interesting possibility.

NSFW's Avatar Semisalis

I'm thinking that ACW:TW is a very likely candidate for the next TW, given SEGA's recently reported losses: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=531638

Excuse me self quoting, but there doesn't seem much point in re-typing what I've already said in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
    In seriousness, this makes me even more convinced that the next TW we'll see is likely to be ACW:TW. It might not please some (even most) of the hard-core fans but from a financial point of view I'd think it's a no-brainer; they already have an engine which includes all the mechanics they're likely to need to represent the era, which means development costs would be mostly limited to research, unit models, maps and writing flavour text (for unit cards etc).
    It's really hard to see them not being able to recoup these costs, given the size of the US gaming market, (which is undoubtedly where such a title would have it's main appeal,) even if it isn't a worldwide hit by TW standards. It might even serve to spread the reach of the TW brand in the US.

Conversely I think SEGA's losses probably make a full scale "Victoria:TW" even less likely. After ETW's problems I think such a large scale game would likely be viewed as too risky, and that the pressure will be on to go for the "safe" option, or at least a theatre of conflict which is small enough that it can be represented in decent detail even with very tight development schedules/budgets.
    "Never argue with an idiot; They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Obake Date

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Substituting a large portion of the European market in order to MAYBE get a rise in sales in the US is a massive risk.
    They make their most money from their European market and sure, some Europeans would buy the game but it would be a much smaller number than currently.

Empire is still the best selling Total War (as far as i'm aware) probably because it includes both sides of the Atlantic... it would make much more sense to go with what they KNOW will work.

NSFW's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post
    Substituting a large portion of the European market in order to MAYBE get a rise in sales in the US is a massive risk.
    They make their most money from their European market and sure, some Europeans would buy the game but it would be a much smaller number than currently.

Empire is still the best selling Total War (as far as i'm aware) probably because it includes both sides of the Atlantic... it would make much more sense to go with what they KNOW will work.
    I'd respectfully disagree about it being a massive risk, largely because the dev costs (next to something like ETW) would be comparitively low, so even if you lose some European sales on the title you'd also be looking at a much lower break-even point.

Also, even if many Europeans didn't buy the title there's nothing to say they wouldn't come back for the next TW, and you'd likely pick up some new, US-based, TW fans along the way. In that sense I don't see it as being any different than their move from the ancient/medieval period to the gunpowder era.
    I'm sure I'm by no means the only long time TW fan who passed on ETW/NTW because the period's warfare doesn't much interest me (at least not to play as a game) but I still came back to the franchise for STW2.

On top of this, such a project, which already has the necessary engine in place, gives your researchers, game designers & arty types something to do while your code-monkeys are working on a new (much needed?) engine.
    "Never argue with an idiot; They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience." -Obake Date

SomaaTheLion's Avatar Decanus

Icon1 Re: Next TW: American Civil War?

Quote Originally Posted by JOPAKE View Post
    It won't be 2 factions !!! I think each province will have an allegiance just like the system works in FoTS and RoTS.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

SomaaTheLion's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade_Rory View Post

This is nonsense as the European market also bought Shogun 2 which is in Japan so why won't they buy an American game ????
    We the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungrateful, we have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

EmperorLucky's Avatar Foederatus

Great ideas. I hope CA is looking at these threads. ACW and/or Victoria Total War!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmmmmm .. considering the popularity of Empire and the current goodies we have with FOTS, then joining those 2 and we get ... wait for it .. no, not Victoria .. but Victoria - WORLD CONQUEST!!!

Every continent, every major nation at that time, and the games goal is conquer the world! only problem is, huge number of units CA would need to develop ... plus, CA are already building the next TW so .. IT's TOOOOO late! .. ROME2 it is!

YAH!!!

Reg.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345