Thread: Replenishing depleted units "Retraining"

Lord Drake's Avatar Tiro

Default Replenishing depleted units "Retraining"

Hi, peeps.
    I got STW a while ago but haven't played it much, recently I felt like giving it another poke and I'm enjoying it a fair bit. One major question I have though, is how to replenish my units after battle? I read on another forum that you can just drag the units into the recruitment menu to retrain them but that doesn't work. :/

Darkness beyond twilight
    Crimson beyond blood that flows
    Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows
    I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
    before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand
    Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed
    by the power you and I possess

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Replenishing depleted units "Retraining"

Sure it does, follow these steps. let's say you're in Shinano and you want to retrain some Cavalry Archers:

open the recruitment screen
    click on the stack that has the Cavalry Archers in it
    click on the image of the unit, hold the mouse down and drag the unit to the recruitment queue.
    the unit will disappear from its stack and will be available in the recruitment queue. to cancel, right click on the unit (will send the unit to the castle stack).

be careful for :
    retraining more than one units, where the province is conquered before all retraining is done - any unit that is not retrained in the recruitment queue will be lost if the province is also lost.
    when cancelling retraining, if you have another depleted unit of the same type, the game will combine them into one, if possible. so if you plan on cancelling, make sure that the stack appearing in the castle is actually free of depleted units.
    retraining a full unit does not cost anything, but the bonuses still apply. so if you're retraining a full unit of Cavalary Archers from Kai (0 honour) in Shinano (with Legendary Horse Dojo + province bonus) this means that the unit will have 3 honour after retraining.
    if the province does not have the capabilities to replenish the unit, the bonuses from blacksmith and armoury will still apply after retraining (useful for Oda to retrain Owari Ashigaru in Mino, for example)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Lord Drake's Avatar Tiro

That's just it, when I open the recruitment screen, it won't let me select anything else. Armies or Castles, I can't select either one much less drag a unit in it over to the recruitment screen.

Darkness beyond twilight

You have original STW, not the Warlord Edition/Mongol Invasion, so there is no retraining/disbanding.

Lord Drake's Avatar Tiro

Bugger, well thanks for the help.

Darkness beyond twilight

There absolutely is retraining in the original Shogun Total War. I just did it a few minutes ago in Mimasaka. What you do is you put your units in the castle first, then you open the recruitment page, and then you drag the little unit image up from the bottom of the screen into the recruitment queue. You can't do it directly from the stack on the map, but if you put the unit in the castle then you can retrain it to replenish its numbers.