Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [FotS] The Legendary Republic Challenge

Default Re: The Legendary Republic Challenge

They stomp me before I can *get* better then levies, and I find if I purchase anything worth it's salt, it's too expensive and I end up with an army of 5...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Its all easy in theory you gotta try it for yourself first And ill be making more tutorials to help im happy so many people are trying please post your pictures and if possible videos that have significane in your campaign ill be happy to see it. Also you have to remember the time limit is pushing you to move FAST its not enough to be able to handle all the Legendary AI raping u from all direction you actually have to conquer them aswel. Anyone want a specific Faction i should start up with and record it ?

Gaizokubanou's Avatar Biarchus
    United States, New Jersey (That's East Coast)

Well here is a save file of legendary Satsuma on long campaign. No it's far from finished, but it's right before going republic (just take over one of Saga's city) with awesome infrastructure and war chest to get you going so those of you who had rough start against legendary AI, use this to get a bit more of a fair shot at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaizokubanou View Post
    Well here is a save file of legendary Satsuma on long campaign. No it's far from finished, but it's right before going republic (just take over one of Saga's city) with awesome infrastructure and war chest to get you going so those of you who had rough start against legendary AI, use this to get a bit more of a fair shot at them!
    Nice one but the campaign challenge is on short if you get long you get basicly 120 + turns which is very easy all thou exhausting.

True, forgot about that. Well people still have trouble staying alive so then they can use that to see how the game goes if they stay alive then.

Like a way to beat up the AI that's been cruel to them

Also save file has at least a year left til short game's due date so maybe you can sneak in a blitz in there hehehe

True, forgot about that. Well people still have trouble staying alive so then they can use that to see how the game goes if they stay alive then.

Like a way to beat up the AI that's been cruel to them

Also save file has at least a year left til short game's due date so maybe you can sneak in a blitz in there hehehe
    a year to capture 27 provinces ? Ouch did you get the upgrades in the Diplomacy tutorial ?

Added the latest The Sado naval conflict! From my Legendary Republic campaign as Nagoeka tell me what you think of the video ill suck it all in

Ronin's Avatar Biarchus

Isn't it impossible to win a short campaign? If you've only got a year (16 turns) wouldn't you need to capture like 3 cities a turn starting right from the first turn?

"I am ronin because I serve no master.

The set of principles that denote absolute justice require no
    subordinates.
    I am a warrior of justice."
    ~ Ronin

short campaign is 5 years ? or 6? its alot longer then 1 year tho. But the guy is talking about that he has a campaign 4 years in with 7-8 Provinces ready to realmdivide unfortunatly he was to slow and took to long so that guy would have to capture 1 province per turn basicly yeah.

Yeah I didn't think about short campaign so I sat on 8 or so provinces for too long.

Short campaign will be harder, certainly. But given how fast I took over that 8 province I think with some refinement it's perfectly doable as long as game doesn't just poop on you with every faction flipping side against you early on.

Few things to speed up would be to abandon any thought on advance units and stick with more generalized early versions, like vanilla line infantry and parrot cannons instead of armstrong. And wealth growth would take a back seat on lot of economical concerns (not completely though you can still get decent juice out of wealth growth before game ends).

Yeah I didn't think about short campaign so I sat on 8 or so provinces for too long.

Short campaign will be harder, certainly. But given how fast I took over that 8 province I think with some refinement it's perfectly doable as long as game doesn't just poop on you with every faction flipping side against you early on.

Few things to speed up would be to abandon any thought on advance units and stick with more generalized early versions, like vanilla line infantry and parrot cannons instead of armstrong. And wealth growth would take a back seat on lot of economical concerns (not completely though you can still get decent juice out of wealth growth before game ends).
    Yeah basicly except there will be no Wealth growth you will rock Very high tax every 2nd turn without exception. Lucky Wealth growth is so patheticly small that it can be completetly ignored i personaly dont use any cannons as it slows your movement but realy on Armies with foreign veterans.

Funny thing is i actually place three geishas in my richest town and they will produce more wealth then you burn of with very high tax rate and once they are fully leveled you can get the trait 10% wealth to all commerce structures and when you 5-6 that creates a 50-60% wealt from commerce sick.

I may try opting out of cannons but they are so easy mode when it comes to battlefield, it'll be hard to get off from habit of using them lol

I may try opting out of cannons but they are so easy mode when it comes to battlefield, it'll be hard to get off from habit of using them lol
    Line infantry with early game 50-60 accuracy each to me takes everything.

I Did it I'll be posting the screen shots soon , I have one screen shot of the save that proves its legendary and one that shows the victory screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegazxi View Post
    I Did it I'll be posting the screen shots soon , I have one screen shot of the save that proves its legendary and one that shows the victory screen.
    You need to turn number aswel you have to finish it before 1870 ends. Once you uploaded the screen ill put your name in the original comment to preserve your legacy!

Okay heres the proof that I completed the challege of FOTS Legendary Republic Short Campaign

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Victory screen:

Save screen procing it was Legendary:

Quote Originally Posted by The-Monetary View Post
    You need to turn number aswel you have to finish it before 1870 ends. Once you uploaded the screen ill put your name in the original comment to preserve your legacy!
    Ok I put up two images to prove I did it let me know fi theres anything else I need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Monetary View Post
    Also let m know if you want the strat. I used and all my statistics: in case your wondering I looted over 700,000 koku.

I do hate when people put a modern soundtrack to something that happend in the past!!

Okay guys heres the strategy I used for my campaign.

Legendary Republic of Jonzai Challenge Strategy

After reading about this Challenge I decided I was going to complete it, because
    1.) I needed the Forum Rep. and felt I had lurked the forum for far too Long
    2.) It sounded Insane
    3.) I’m a glutton for punishment
    After trying like 6 times, I kept running into the same problems in the Post-Independence (PI) phase, these problems included
    1.) Lack of funds because of no Japanese clans will trade with you once your Independent
    2.) Army/Navy Upkeep for the Army/Navy you have and the upkeep for Army/Navy you NEED
    3.) Unrest in all my core regions during the transition
    4.) Lots I mean lots of AI armies marching towards my borders and bombing my harbors/infrastructure

With all those things coming at me in the PI I tried a number of things in different campaigns, like for instance building up my 7 core (1 vassal) region into an economic power house, transferring to a modern army ASAP, and getting a powerful but cost effective navy. Now If this was a long Campaign those strategies may of worked, in this short campaign like the challenge says you do not have the luxury of time to build your economy into a powerhouse.

So I decided I was going to have to take a more direct method of bringing the Japanese Republic to its rightful place. Namely looting and burning anything and everything that wasn’t in a my core provinces or belonged to someone else, I call this the “March to the Sea playstyle” after US Union General Sherman of the US Civil War Campaign and his Campaign of Total War on the Confederacy.

Looting in Dishonor: When you loot you do lower your honor, but this is capped at -3. So after you loot 3 cities you cannot lose anymore dishonor by looting. This can be counter balanced by research, retainers, or by establishing vassals (which you can then conquer). Once you survive the initial -3 honor debuff from looting you have nothing to worry about:

Loot 3 regions= -3 honor, loot 14 regions= -3 honor

“March to the Sea play style”

Scourge: “Cow after Cow, Pig after Pig………..”

War economy: The economy of this play style can only be transitioned into once you have a decent (not maxed out) economic base. The main difference with this play style is once you go on the offensive you cannot stop, you literally cannot afford to stop, as soon as you stop looting and attacking, it’s the beginning of a slow death by attrition.

For this play style to work you’re going to need to look at you funds in a different manner than most normally would. Let’s say you just looted a city and your treasure is showing 20,000 koku but your Upkeep costs are -2000 per turn, the standard way to look at this is to think ok I need to improve my economy or disbanded units to get out of the negative per turn funds.

In the March to the Sea Style you see 20,000 koku (-2000 per turn) as : " I can keep my offensive up with current forces for 10 turns before I need to loot another city, or I need to loot another city in less than 10 turns because I’m purchasing more forces." Your funds once you start this play style will come completely from looting other regions. So this means that you will have to keep conquering to survive. All that looted money goes to getting out units to send to the front to fight and to getting your railroads up (faster transport).

Every territory that is not one of your Personal Core regions must be and will be sacked and every building in of military value must be burnt to the ground no exceptions. Do not be tempted into a Peaceful occupation of any other territory not matter how good it is set up. As soon as you stop to occupy you funds will start to drive up quick. Loot it and burn any all building to the ground and move on to the next territory. Leave nothing for the enemy but a shattered region that only a shadow of its former self.

As soon as a Territory is looted and burnt to the ground, move on to next territory. Do not repair anything unless your need to repair a fort because an army you can only defeat of defense has made an appearance and you cannot hid from it. Let other clans capture the territory or let it rebel, that way they can pay for the repair costs and if a new clan appears the it will be a weak clan that can will field a weak army (because you burnt down any building that could help them) easily wiped out buy you better more modern forces.

Hide when you need too, if you see an army coming toward you that you cannot defeat then play on the defensive, go another direction, or hide in the forest. If you can’t take a city because it’s too heavily defended then bypass it and move on to a city with weaker defenses.

As you can imagine these tactic would wreak havoc on any clans lightly defended interior provinces, but avoiding their Main army can be tricky. But the next subjects are core components to the survival of your offensive and War Economy.

Navy: you’re going to need a foreign iron clad no way around it, as Jonzai I went with the American mission because you can get 2 of their Iron Clad type ships, and the American trade lane was closer to me than the British or the French. But this is really what/who you prefer. Try to have a side medium navy that can act as a deterrent to other navies (besides you Iron Clads) or use it to support you army.

Main Army: This is your main force, This army needs to have a ninja agent you need this army to attack and burn any settlement it can conquer and advance forward to the next and the ninja agent will let you know where to go and where not to. But use any spare agents you have to scout out ahead of you so you know where the enemy is. Attack where they are weak and avoid where they are strong.

Your Income will come directly from the looting this army does. This army not meant and should never be used as an occupation force, this army should be used to sack cities and destroy any enemy army you come across. Do not let this army get bogged down trying to hold a region with unrest, only slow you advancing assault to regain some lost troop numbers. You will need at least one piece of artillery with this army just to get the kind of damage you need out of it. If possible also support this army with so expendable naval units, and then you have a force to be reckoned with.

The Expeditionary Force (your clans pillaging Amphibious Assault army): This armies only duty is to go from port city to port city Looting burning and leaving before the enemies clans main army can show up. This force will need to be transported by Iron Clad (so no losing your army being transported because of a weak navy), since being transported in a foreign ironclad will let this army move unhindered on the seas.
    My make up for such a force was this:
    1X Best Looting General
    1X US Iron Clad
    1X Us Marine
    3-4X Line Infantry
    4X Levy Infantry (cannon Fodder)
    2X Cannon
    2X Spear Levy

The job of this force is to loot all those lightly defended provinces next to the Sea, and to leave by sea as soon as they are finished looting. This force must be traveling and looting at all times, this force is not to be made or used as an occupying force, your War Economy is relied upon this force to provide you with much needed funds from looting settlements.

Remember to use the naval bombardments to their fullest with this force, the navy is just as much of this force as the ground units are. This Army should never see your main army or home provinces again. Only stay in a Sacked region longer than normal if you have to regain lost troops numbers or repair your ironclad. This army as well as your Main army will be your source of income throughout the campaign. Go from port region to port region sacking burning and moving on to the next.

Army of the Home front: This force will most likely start off with the forces you use to keep public order in your core provinces, but Once you Main Army is smashing through provinces and leaving nothing but ash before advancing to the next unfortunate region you’re going to be getting very larger sums of money very quickly. This money need to go towards the war effort, by making troops, improving your infrastructure (rail roads, upgrading building, etc.), but do not go overboard with the infrastructure improvements unless you know you can afford them (example: going to sack another region very soon).

Your home front army will need to be improved with better troops as well, because as soon as everything has calmed down in your Core Regions this Army is going to start attacking its way towards you main army conquering the provinces you main army has previously sacked. By this time an enemy clan has most likely taken the shattered region (or it rebelled) and has invested a lot of money in repairing and rebuilding the region. That good because whatever money they enemy is spending to repair the carnage you have caused is money they are not spending on training improved armies to send your way.

So the enemy army defending these previously sack settlements will be weaker (in size or quality), the New home front army you have built with modern units paid for by your looting will more than enough to defeat the defenders. So now your home front army goes on the Offensive recapturing regions. You should occupy the first border region and incorporate them into you clan, or if they provide you with a large amount of money then you can sack and move on then do so because you can create another 2nd home army with the money gain and recapture and occupy the region a third and final time.

Another Front: At this point if you have the funds and a weak enemy is on you boarders you can launch another offensive duplicating the tactics of the Main Army of Sacking and Moving on (and Falling Back). One more region that your sacked is one less region the enemy can gain resources to use against you. This up to you and depends on your game this army should not be used for occupying unless it has captured a “choke hold” region. In which case use it to bog down enemy armies by defending a Choke hold settlement.

The offensive stops going forward: once you feel your Main army has reached its limit of advancing then (to many big army ahead of you, or your feeling too far away from you home region). You task now is to sack and loot you way back towards your home region hiding when you need to. Playing as the Jonzai on legendary my Main Army finally had to turn back at gates of Kyoto as sacking and my way all along the southern coastal regions of Japan, so you would be surprised at how fast and how far you can tack an army in this manner, just know when to stop and start sacking your way back towards you 1st home army which should be on the offensive.

Main Army and HomeFront Army Meet: Try to make it so your Main army and 1st home Army meet in a region with Railroad capabilities so you can flood troops in from you core regions to refit/restore your armies or to occupy a region. Regroup recover and go on the offensive once again sacking and burning in different directions, by the time this offensive slowing down, your 2nd home army should be ready to go to go on its own offensive. At this point you will most likely have to recruit troop to deal with unrest. But after that the only thing for you’re to do is continue to loot urn and conquer, but at this point keep a look out for a position to be you new front line base. Continue the offensive and sack when you need money.

Afterthoughts: After completing the legendary Republic Campaign with this play style, I looted over 700,000 koku from settlements and my finances where never in the positive till the final season of the campaign I was playing. To keep settlements in Check I built a police station in every settlement I conquered (if there was room for it I made room by getting rid of a building I would not use.) But this tactic worked for me in the Legendary FOTS Republic short campaign Challenge that was posted on these forums. So good luck and let me know how this approach of total war works out for you.

Thanks for Reading.

OmegazXI
    Last edited by Omegazxi; April 07, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast